PDA

View Full Version : tystudio and UK TiVo

deshepherd
06-14-2003, 06:01 PM
Does tyStudio work with a UK TiVo,

It seems to ... i.e. I can use it to extract a prog from TiVo to my PC and process it ... however whatever processing options I've tried so far result in RealOne player and Windows Media player both refusing to play the MPEG file saying that it cannot revognise (I think) the audio stream.

Any thoughts ... it may be that the transcoding stuff is affected by the 50Hz/60Hz difference between NTSC and PAL and as a result is setting audio to some "unknown" format.

deshepherd
06-14-2003, 06:23 PM
I case it isn't obvious ... I'm running the win32 version of tyStudio (running on winME)

Firefly
06-15-2003, 10:11 AM
Does tyStudio work with a UK TiVo

I think the accepted route here is:
1)Extract .ty file
2)convert to elemental streams (no transcoding)
3)rename audio file from *.m2a to *.m2p
4)patch header of video file to 720 x 576 with DVD patcher
4)Import files toTmpgenc, and process, adding chapter cuts as necessary
5)Burn with Nero if required

(Acknowledgements to shuiqlazam)

The only problem is, you might well find your audio is out of sync!

Alternatively, use Tytool and get perfect pictures, sound and sync if you play with powerdvd, but no sound on most stand alone players.
I can't wait for Josh's audio conversion!

deshepherd
06-15-2003, 01:23 PM
hmm ... looks like I need to spend more time working out all the steps ... it ahd been looking promising with tystudio appearing to be able to pull a program off the TiVo, apply edit cuts if necessary and then write a .mpg file. It all seemed to work except RealOne and WMP both refused to recognize the audo strea

(N.b. initial experiment was just to see if I could extract a prog from the TiVo and then watch it on a PC which could solve the growing "2 kids, 1 TiVo" battleground.)

deshepherd
06-15-2003, 02:39 PM
Aha ... following some other links via Google I found comments that WMP just doesn't work and a "real" DVD player app is needed. Somewhere I'm pretty sure I got a WinDVD CD which came free with a video card/mboard so 'll need to go on a search for taht ... meanwhile I downloaded the free vlc decoder and that plays the MPEG file extracted by tystudio.

So some success ... need to do more experiments to see what the audio sync issues mentioned above are like and then next step ma be to look at burning SVCD ... though as mentioned just having a means to play already recorded progs somewhere else may be all I need (and give me another justification for a pending laptop purchase :-)