PDA

View Full Version : Stop Movie Factory from converting videos?

fbgmantis
06-16-2003, 11:53 AM
How do I stop Movie Factory from converting my video files? I tried selecting the checkbox to not convert compliant videos, but that didn't work. What am i doing wrong?

captain_video
06-16-2003, 12:35 PM
Are you patching the 1st header of your mpeg files to 352X480 @3.5MBit prior to importing them? If you don't, DVD Movie Factory will resize the video clip using the default bitrate in your mpeg files of 15MBit and vastly increase the size of the file. Patching the file will make DVDMF think that the files are DVD-compliant and won't convert them.

fbgmantis
06-16-2003, 02:01 PM
Yes I am patching the first header. Although when I do this it shifts the video to one side when it appears in Movie Factory. Is this normal?

h0trod
06-16-2003, 06:31 PM
My video really is 352x480, but DVD Workshop still wants to reencode it. I'm guessing it is because the audio is at 32khz.

A couple questions:

Is there anyway to re-encode just the audio "in place", ie without splitting to seperate audio and video streams first?

If not, I'm guessing I can split to .m2v and .m2a, reencode the audio, and recombine them. Should this be significantly faster than letting DVD Workshop just re-encode the way it wants to?

Lastly, I've found lots of references to letting DVD Workshop build the DVD file structure, then burn with Nero. Is there some reason not to do the burn with DVD Workshop?

Thanks alot!

captain_video
06-16-2003, 09:30 PM
DVD Workshop and DVD Movie Factory are going to process the files in pretty much the same way since the core of each program is virtually the same (they're both developed by Ulead). Check out the posts regarding BeSweet for transcoding the audio from a standalone Tivo prior to authoring to DVD. Run a search for BeSweet and you'll find the info you need.

h0trod
06-16-2003, 09:46 PM
Sorry, I meant to say DVD MovieFactory, not DVD Workshop. I will look into Besweet, but can you confirm that if video is at 352x480 and 44khz (or 48, whichever is the spec, i'll look it up), it will not try to re-encode?

Thanks.

captain_video
06-17-2003, 07:27 AM
I don't have a SA Tivo so I can't confirm it. However, when I patch the 1st header of my DTivo mpegs to 352X480 @3.5MBit with the audio at 48KHz, DVDWS does not attempt to transcode it.