PDA

View Full Version : TyTools TivoWeb Questions

mikey
06-16-2003, 06:29 PM
I have been using Tivoweb to extract from my dtivo, a gxcebot with exreme 2.5.2,120GB harddrive,and turbonet, for a few months now. It is quite simple and currently working well (a huge plus). I have however been wondering about extracting with TyTools, but have a few questions, before deciding if/when I should.

Is there any difference in the quality of the *.ty file extracted to my computer?
I don't think there should be, but I don't know?...

Is it possible / advisable to run both TyTools, TivoWeb, and eXtreme on the same dtivo? would it be to much overhead?

Thanks in advance,
Mikey

johnwill
06-17-2003, 03:50 PM
I'm using tytools to extract, and it's worked very well. I've seen enough posts about issues running a lot of stuff causing reliability issues that I just run Telnet and FTP from the boot. If I want TiVoWEB, I fire it up with Telnet and shut it down when I'm done. Also, the tytools extract only runs when I'm extracting, and I shut it down. This has worked well for me, and I'm not having any stability issues with the unit.

mikey
06-20-2003, 06:50 AM
Thanks for the information.
Mikey

captain_video
06-20-2003, 07:56 AM
There's no quality difference between any of the methods used for ty file extraction. A ty file is a ty file no matter how you extract it, although there are claims that TyTool does something funky to the headers that TyStudio doesn't like so you shouldn't use ty files extracted with TYTool in TyStudio. I prefer TyTool for all my extracting, editing, and muxing chores. It never gives me any synch errors when I cut the files although I do get some momentary audio dropouts on occasion right at the very beginning of the video clip but not enough to make me want to use something else.

johnwill
06-20-2003, 11:56 AM
I haven't mastered editing with TyTools, is there a basic tutorial on it? I've used TyTool to extract to MPG files and then used TMPGenc to do the editing and DVD creation.