PDA

View Full Version : Dtivo and DVDLab

bato
06-17-2003, 06:56 PM
Now TyTool is at 8r6, DVDlab is 1.3.1 and TyStudio still 0.5.0. Very good tools and very good output if you use them together. Here are some guides that in the next week or so will include some screen captures for easy follow.

bato
06-17-2003, 07:00 PM
This will change when more tests are done.
0- Get your files (ty) ready for process
1- Open TyStudio and select your ty
2- Cut anything you don't need
3- Select elemental stream/no transcode for Dtivo or 48000 for SA
4- Run DVDLab 1.2, import m2v/m2a files and create DVD (flexible muxer)
5- Check chapters/sync/menu with PowerDVD
6- Burn

030819 I think the GOP timecode is recreated in latest TyStudio (0.5.0) so you don't need to GOP fix with mpeg2vcr to create good chapters with DVDlab.

bato
06-17-2003, 07:06 PM
1- Open TyTool7r3 and select your ty
2- Make key file then Edit key file
3- You can multiplex file or vob-mux file
4- Run DVDLab 1.2, import your mpg/vob and select demux
4a- SA users can transcode audio with internal codec, or call BeSweet/Other to trancode your audio to 48khz, AC3, other
5- Create DVD (flexible muxer) and check chapters/sync/menu with PowerDVD
6- Burn

030819 If you only cut the start/end (for a movie) you don't have chapter problems with DVDlab, if you also cut commercials, you will get chapter problems, you will need to use mpeg2vcr GOP fix feature to correct errors 1 and 2 only NOT 3 (GOP size) after the scan.

bato
06-17-2003, 07:22 PM
You will need DVDLab 1.1 (or later), VOBedit 0.6, TyTool7r3 (or later) and mpeg2vcr 3.14 (06/11), IFOedit if show is bigger than 1GB.

TyTool7r3 and up (shows less than 1gb):
- make key files, edit key files, vob-mux
- create IFO files/dirs with all shows you want, you need to create NO chapters, so if your show is less than 99min select chapters every 99min, if your show is more than 99min then you'll have to manualy edit the .bat file to not create chapters
- you'll get a VIDEO_TS folder with 1 vob (VTS_XX_1.VOB) for each show (and some IFOs and BUPs, but you want the VTS_XX_1.VOBs)

TyTool7r3 and up (shows more than 1gb):
- make key files, edit key files, vob-mux
- create IFO files/dirs with all shows you want, you need to create NO chapters, so if your show is less than 99min select chapters every 99min, if your show is more than 99min then you'll have to manualy edit the .bat file to not create chapters
- you'll get a VIDEO_TS folder with several vobs (VTS_XX_Y.VOB) for each show
- use IFOEdit to rip each show and select "no split" to get only 1 vob for show bigger than 1gb
030819 DVDlab has a feature to join VTS_XX_Y.VOBs together but doesn't work with 1.3b1, I'll try this feature and change this section when it's fixed

VOBedit:
Open your VOB with VOBedit, select the firt video pack that contains the first I frame (should be the second line, the first is a NAV pack), clic right panel then scroll down until you see "GOP bit flags / time stamp" (005e in my test) double clic the 005e line and change the value to 524352, this will make the first GOP time stamp 0:00:00.00. You can open again the VOB to make sure the value is changed. For each VOB.
030819 If you use DVDlab 1.3b1 or better this step (VOBedit) is only needed if you want your timecode to start at 0:00:00.00, is no longer needed to create good chapters in DVDlab.

mpeg2vcr:
With mpeg2vcr go to Tool - MPEG GOP fixer, select the VOB, clic Scan, after scan (only seconds) will show Fix (1) GOP time code..., select Fix and exit mpeg2vcr. For each VOB. Do not select fix GOP size errors because it take a long time and add about 10% to the size, and you will need to save the file as mpg.

DVDLab 1.1 or better:
- Import VOBs, do not demux
- Select chapters, create menu, select connections, etc.
- Compile DVD. You can select any multiplexer engine (with DVDLab 1.2 or better) because the source is VOB it won't be demux/remux, only the NAV packs will change.

Check with PowerDVD and Burn.

This is how I work. No GOP time code problems in DVDLab because we fix them with VOBEdit and/or mpeg2vcr. No NAV pack problems in DVDLab because we only have 1 cell in each VOB.
030819 I just created a DVD with 8 Monk shows in it, play first video, and switched motion menus with DVDlab 1.3b1 and this steps, I tried to make the DVD with mpgs and Fast or Flexible muxer but I had problems, this steps proves once more that you can create a perfect sync DVD with great menus and chapters

bato
06-17-2003, 07:34 PM
Sometimes DVDLab 1.1 (or later) can't find the audio in the VOB so the IFOs do not have the audio enable so when you play the DVD you will not hear the audio.

You can use later versions of DVDLab (1.3b1 today) and select "force audio for all movies" in the Compile DVD window, post-compile options section.

Remember, this is only when your final VOB has audio (you can play the VOB with PowerDVD) and your DVD do not have audio (because the IFO problem).

Other option in DVDLab is "Tools" "IFO Editor-Audio" where you can change the number of audio streams in your VOBs and change some information in them (like language), so for example you have VOBs with audio in English and Spanish, you set your IFOs to 2 audio streams, and label the audio English for say track 1 and Spanish to track 2. If your player have the option to start the movies in some specific language (say Spanish) then when it finds that your DVD have a Spanish audio stream then it will play that one by default.

johnwill
06-17-2003, 07:38 PM
How do you precisely edit out commercials with DVD-Lab? I tried it, but it seemed you could only make the chapters one minute or more, and it's not precise enough to edit out the commercials. Am I doing something stupid?

bato
06-17-2003, 07:45 PM
You don't. DVDLab is not for cutting commercials, you first do your cuts with TyTool or TyStudio (GOP accurate) or mpeg2vcr (frame accurate).

You can select your chapters and then do a smartripper trick also.

johnwill
06-17-2003, 08:08 PM
OK, that makes sense. I'll have to check out the other methods, I see that mpeg2vcr is $120 for the version that handles MPEG2, a bit too rich for my blood. :)

bato
06-17-2003, 10:44 PM
That's why I posted a how-to with only TyStudio and DVDLab, other with TyTool7r3 and DVDlab. So only $80 there.

With mpeg2vcr then $200 (80 DVDLab 120 mpeg2vcr), far less than only DVDWorkshop that I guess you will never add second audio or subtitles, but you will with DVDLab (maybe for a little upgrade price).

You can create DVDs for free with only TyTool7r3, right now you will not have a pretty menu, but I guess that will change in the near future.

If you want good menus with a little control over the overall project today, DVDLab is a good product.

johnwill
06-18-2003, 07:32 AM
I downloaded TyStudio and it's pretty decent, but I did run into a problem. It seemed the last deletion of stuff caused some issue and I got a frame error. I didn't really know how to move the frame and retry. It was very easy to remove the commercials, much easier than WinDVD Creator that I tried before, so I think I'll be attempting to use that one more when I figure out the file termination issue. I'm sure it's just that I don't know how to use the tool...

scottf
06-18-2003, 03:48 PM
Good stuff Bato, results are excellent so far from Directivo using Tytool and DVD Lab.

What's the difference between just running Mux or Vob/Mux in Tytool?

Both demux fine in DVD Lab and results seem to be similar, but trying to understand, thanks, !

bato
06-19-2003, 08:58 AM
scottf, in one ty I had I lost like 5sec video when I used mpeg2vcr to do a complete GOP fix (yes even GOP size, that I don't do anymore) in the mpg file but worked great with the vob/mux. I think the vob/mux option contain some NAV packs that maybe is better for mpeg2vcr to work on.

Anyway, if you only demux and let DVDLab remux maybe there is no difference at all. That's why in tytool steps I put that you can Mux or VOB/mux, is up to you. Only in the section when you use mpeg2vcr then you need to VOB/mux then create IFO files/dirs so all NAV packs are correct and work with DVDLab.

johnwill
06-19-2003, 09:11 AM
I really like how TyStudio handles editing, it's pretty convenient to edit out commercials with it. The bad part is after creating my first DVD with three movies, I found out that the sound sync that I've been hearing about is really a problem. :) I'm currently experimenting with capturing with TyTools into MPG format, and then building the CD with TMPGenc. I don't like the editing tool quite as well, but I suspect the sound will be better.

Fortunately, I'm using DVD+RW disks for these tests. :D

defsrg
06-21-2003, 03:59 PM
i am assuming this will only compile with elemental streams as i have tried to use generic mpegs with dvd lab and it refuses to compile anything. all i get is an empty video_ts folder.
________
Roll Blunts (http://howtorollablunt.net/)

bato
06-21-2003, 04:30 PM
DVDlab compile generic mpegs just not Dtivo. For Dtivo you need to import a final VOB from DVDAuthor or demux the mpg first and then in compile window (1.2 and up) select flexible, any source mux engine.

Oscar just released 1.2.1 beta update, and it has some flexible muxer changes.

Note: do not use DVDlab 1.2.1, many bugs, stick with 1.2 for flexible muxer

lsmod
06-23-2003, 01:08 PM
Bato-

Thanks for your workflow docs for using DVDLab...this looks great. I do have one question: What are the advantages of the "long way", using VOBedit and mpeg2vcr to take a finished VOB into DVDLab? Is it just preserving the chapter stops from tytool, or am I missing something?

Thanks again,
Zandr

bato
06-23-2003, 05:37 PM
The long way is there because it was the only way to create a DVD in DVDLab before version 1.2 was released. With this you use the VOBs so DVDlab will not remux the files, remuxing can have sync issues with some rare ty files (I have only one that lost sync if I remux it).

So use the short way, and if you find a sync problem then you can do the long way to have a perfect DVD.

Keep in mind that both TyTool and DVDlab are work in progress and we get updates at least every couple of weeks (thanks jdiner and oscar), so this thread will change as I have time to do more tests with newer releases.

lsmod
06-23-2003, 08:55 PM
Great. Thanks again. I just built a disc last night with TyTool 7r3 and DVDLab 1.2, and kicked off the compile before I went to sleep. I'll burn it tonight and see how sync looks.

bato
06-24-2003, 08:32 AM
I prefer to test it with PowerDVD before burning to ±R, but if you have ±RW then go ahead, is better to test in the final player anyway.

lsmod
06-24-2003, 10:51 AM
As it turns out, my DVD-RW drive is in the Mac, (I'd been using DVDSP to make discs from elementary streams until now)

That said, I took five episodes of Babylon5, used TyTool7r3 to make keys, cut ads, and mux to .mpgs. Imported those mpgs with demuxing to DVDLab 1.2, made a nice menu, and compiled the disc.

Copied the _TS folders to the Mac and burned to -RW with Toast.

I've only spot-checked the ends of two episodes, but sync looks perfect!

Props to jdiner, Bato, Oscar, et al. This is victory in my opinion.

Now it's off to see if 7r4 can handle my problem streams.

-Zandr

2ride
06-25-2003, 11:57 AM
Can someone tell me how/where to get the beta version of dvdlab?

tia

2ride
06-25-2003, 11:59 AM
nevermind
got it

lsmod
06-26-2003, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by bato
Oscar just released 1.2.1 beta update, and it has some flexible muxer changes.

Which help. I was trying to get the Nascar race at Sears^H^H^H^H^HInfineon burned to disk. (I don't like Nascar, which is why I so enjoy the Nascar races at Sears and the Glen...try turning right, suckers....but I digress.)

TyTool 7r4 would mux it fine, either to .mpg or .vob. I imported the .mpg to DVDlab 1.2, and it demuxed fine, but would fail in the nav step that happens after it rereads the VOB. No problems in 1.2.1.

-Zandr

snoopy
06-29-2003, 03:15 AM
Originally posted by lsmod
Which help. I was trying to get the Nascar race at Sears^H^H^H^H^HInfineon burned to disk. (I don't like Nascar, which is why I so enjoy the Nascar races at Sears and the Glen...try turning right, suckers....but I digress.)

TyTool 7r4 would mux it fine, either to .mpg or .vob. I imported the .mpg to DVDlab 1.2, and it demuxed fine, but would fail in the nav step that happens after it rereads the VOB. No problems in 1.2.1.

-Zandr

DVD Lab will not work with mpg's from multiplex mode in TYTool. It gave an error on compile that said it required elemental streams. I guess I need to choose the option for vsplit. I read that some had gotten mpg's from TYTool 7r4 to work in DVD Lab but I have tried several versions before this latest today and I have never been able to get that to work.

lsmod
06-30-2003, 03:21 AM
Originally posted by snoopy
DVD Lab will not work with mpg's from multiplex mode in TYTool.

Did you let DVDLab demux the .mpg when you imported the asset? I've had no trouble at all using 1.2.1 with .mpgs from TyTool.

Extract .ty's, make keys, edit, mux to .mpg, import .mpg to DVDLab, and let it demux. And then be sure to check "Flexible Multiplexer" in the compile options.

Works fine here.

-Z

tivonut1960
06-30-2003, 10:23 AM
1- Open TyStudio and select your ty
2- Cut anything you don't need
3- Select elemental stream/no transcode for Dtivo or 48000 for SA
4- Run DVDLab 1.2, import m2v/m2a files and create DVD (flexible muxer)
5- Check chapters/sync/menu with PowerDVD
6- Burn

Great instructions! Thanks for posting them. I have done some testing with this and thought I'd post my findings. My ty files come from a Dtivo Series 1 processed with TyStudio.

The only difference I have found with your instructions is the handling of the audio.

1 - If the audio is already AC3 do a "no transcode", but the file extension has to be .ac3 not .m2a for DVD-lab to accept it, so you can either change it when saving it in TyStudio or change it afterwards. If you do an AC3 transcode to an already AC3 stream in TyStudio it messes up the channels. I have only tested this on AC3 5.1, I'm guessing it would be the same for AC3 2.0, I'll test it when I record something in DD 2.0.

2 - If the audio is MPEG II, it needs to be transcoded to AC3, when I did a no transcode it played fine in PowerDVD, but I didn't have any sound when testing on a Pioneer DV-414 and an Xbox.

I have played DVD's created this way (burned with a Plextor +R/RW) on a Pioneer DV-414, Xbox and a friends DVD player which I don't remember the brand of, the only problem has been on the Pioneer, the video only occupies about the left 2/3 of the tv screen, the right 1/3 is black, any ideas on how to correct that would be appreciated but I'm guessing it's more of an issue with the Pioneer player, it's an older model bought in 1997 or 1998. Otherwise I've had great sucess, perfect sync, DD 5.1 if the source had it, and DVD-lab is a breeze to use!

captain_video
06-30-2003, 01:54 PM
the only problem has been on the Pioneer, the video only occupies about the left 2/3 of the tv screen, the right 1/3 is black, any ideas on how to correct that would be appreciated

The only way to correct this problem is to get a newer player.

Bato - nice to see you're making progress on the DVD-Lab front. I haven't been following this thread until now and I've apparently been missing some good stuff. I'm anxious to try your latest methods with the Babylon 5 movies we discussed a while back. If you recall, the compilation worked great but none of the chapter stops would function and the timeline was all hosed up. It looks like you've managed to come up with some workarounds to take care of the problem, not to mention Oscar has been hard at work with some updates of his own. Can't wait to give this a shot.

bato
06-30-2003, 02:04 PM
Originally posted by tivonut1960
2 - If the audio is MPEG II, it needs to be transcoded to AC3, when I did a no transcode it played fine in PowerDVD, but I didn't have any sound when testing on a Pioneer DV-414 and an Xbox.
Most DVDs have audio in AC3 5.1 or 2.0, so all players do not have problem with them, if we create a DVD with MPA some players will not play the audio until you change some option in the setup, something about PCM/Digital.

So you are right, if you want to play your DVDs in most players without changing any audio setup option is better to have AC3 (compatibility/space).

cullen_simpson
06-30-2003, 04:49 PM
Bato,

I just tried DVD Lab 1.2.1 to create a DVD with the first season
of Seinfeld. The shows were recorded on a DTIVO with mpeg
audio.

I extracted them from the TiVo with TyTool (7r2 I think), made key and cut files back when I extracted them.

Today, using TyTool 7r4 I made VOBs and then imported them into DVD Lab with the demux option.

It all looked great. I made a nice menu, added chapters automatically, added a wav file of the theme to play on the
main menu.

I compiled the DVD, using the flexible mux option.

When all was done, I brought it up in PowerDVD from the
hard drive.

Problems:

1) The wave file that should have been the theme was totally screwed. It was worse than Yoko Ono trying to sound bad.

2) I picked on one of the links and the show would start playing.
If I used the timeslider or chapter forward or backward it would just start playing again from the beginning even though the slider may be all the way to the right.

When I first compiled a DVD of this season, I used all the tedious
DVDPatcher, TMPGENC, etc... But, today I started back with the original tystreams. I did use the cut files I created along time ago as I did not think that would matter.

Any thoughts?

Cullen

snoopy
06-30-2003, 05:50 PM
Originally posted by cullen_simpson

Problems:

1) The wave file that should have been the theme was totally screwed. It was worse than Yoko Ono trying to sound bad.

2) I picked on one of the links and the show would start playing.
If I used the timeslider or chapter forward or backward it would just start playing again from the beginning even though the slider may be all the way to the right.

When I first compiled a DVD of this season, I used all the tedious
DVDPatcher, TMPGENC, etc... But, today I started back with the original tystreams. I did use the cut files I created along time ago as I did not think that would matter.

Any thoughts?

Cullen

First things first...
Start with the latest TYTool 7r4. It has alot of fixes for stuff. Better yet.... wait for TYTool 7r5.

cullen_simpson
06-30-2003, 06:23 PM
As mentioned in my post, I used 7r4 to create the VOBs.

I only used earlier versions to extract the streams, create the keyfiles and cutlists.

Based on the changes that have been occurring in tytool,
I figured I was safe with simply re-doing the VOBs since
in my original version, the cuts had to be processed through
TMPGENC to fix the timestamp problem.

I hate to have to redo the cuts with the latest GOP Editor but I will try although I really can not see that making a difference.

Also, I forgot to mention problem 3 in the original post,
the audio of the shows was at about 1/3 normal volume.

I really don't care about the wave file I attached to the main
menu. I figure I did something wrong there. Maybe it needs mpg
or maybe it needs a specific bitrate are something like that. No biggie.

The other problems are worse.

BTW, I am eagerly awaiting 7r5 and would not have tried this test even if I had not seen others mentioning success with DVD Lab 1.2.1.

Cullen

bato
06-30-2003, 08:08 PM
cullen_simpson:
1) DVDlab have a problem when you mix audio, so if you are using mpeg layer II (mpa) then you need to use that for your menu also.
2) This problem happen because you cut the commercials so you have a non-continuous GOP time code. You can make it continuous with mpeg2vcr MPEG GOP fix option. I'll make more tests to find an easier way, but the only "perfect" way to work with DVDlab is the "hard way" (perfect sync/chapters in DVDlab).
3) I don't know why the audio is so low, sorry.

Take note that DVDlab 1.2.1 contain some bugs, one is that in some players the menu is not displayed, Oscar said that if the fixes will take time he will release version 1.2.05 with an old library to make it work until he fixes all the bugs. So if you can install version 1.2 for your projects.

cullen_simpson
06-30-2003, 08:17 PM
OK,

No problem on the audio mixing thing.

So, as far as the cust fo then to use this I would have to fall
back to the method where we used TMPGENC to re-encode the time streams (or whatever it was really doing). That makes
sense, but I figured that since tytool created the VOB then
DVD Lab would just accept it as is.

I appreciate all your efforts in testing this stuff and all the work
jdiner and oscar do.

I really like the new method for DVD creation through tytool, but
I am making a compilation of every episode of Seinfeld (only missing 2 shows now) and wanted a nicer menu for that.

For most things the quick menu is fine, but every now and then I
would like one that is more visually pleasing.

I suspect that I could use Oscar's menu creation package, combine it with the VOBs from tytool and then use DVD Author
to put the whole package together. However, there are only 24 hours in a day.

I will keep an eye on the developments.

Thanks,
Cullen

cullen_simpson
06-30-2003, 08:19 PM
Holy crap my typing is bad.
That second sentence should read:

So, as far as the cuts go, then to use...

bato
06-30-2003, 09:24 PM
Why don't you try mpeg2vcr (http://www.womble.com), you can fix the GOP time code easy with it, yea is $120.

If you want to go free, you can demux the VOB with DVDlab (I think you already do) then use ReStream0.8.9 (http://shh.dvdboard.de/restream.html) to change the GOP time stamp to make it start at 0:00:00 and will create a new file with the "fixed" time stamp, then use that file instead of the original.

Remember, a few streams will have sync problems after you demux the vob and then DVDlab (or whatever app) remux it, because what jdiner said about the holes in the audio stream, but most will work perfect, that's why I always say to do some tests before you burn your final DVD.

BTW you can edit your post if you find something that you no longer want there ;)

snoopy
07-01-2003, 02:09 AM
I burned two shows to a DVD complete with 20 chapter stops each (by DVD Lab) and a great menu screen. What awesome stuff. Perhaps Jdiner can fix the audio hole problem some are having in the next releae. For me... I could not be happier. This was the holy grail for me. Download and burn in DVD lab. How can it be easier than that?

GREAT WORK JDINER!

johnwill
07-01-2003, 01:25 PM
Why don't you try mpeg2vcr (http://www.womble.com), you can fix the GOP time code easy with it, yea is $120.

If you want to go free, you can demux the VOB with DVDlab (I think you already do) then use ReStream0.8.9 (http://shh.dvdboard.de/restream.html) to change the GOP time stamp to make it start at 0:00:00 and will create a new file with the "fixed" time stamp, then use that file instead of the original.
Free? I thought DVD-Lab was only a pay program, am I incorrect?

bato
07-01-2003, 01:52 PM
free to fix the GOP time code to make it work in DVDlab.

DVDlab is $79 after 30 days.

ReStream is free, with this tool you can fix the GOP time code in a demuxed video stream from a VOB created with TyTool.

Mpeg2vcr is $120, you can use it to fix all GOP problems (time code, PTS and GOP size), so you will end with a mpeg2 that can work with DVDlab strict muxer (prior to version 1.2beta). You can do frame accurate editing with it also. Most of the files will not have problems with mpeg2vcr but you can get some that at the end will have sync problems.

cullen_simpson
07-02-2003, 11:23 AM
bato:

It seems that you take the mpg from tytool rather than the VOB is that correct?

If using the mpg is the demux step on the import to DVD Lab needed?

I am creating mpgs from tytool 7r6 to test right now,
just wanted your feedback to compare.

Thanks,
Cullen

bato
07-02-2003, 11:51 AM
I mostly do the long way.

But the short way I prefer going with VOB then demux in DVDlab and fix the time code with ReStream.

You need to demux the mpg or VOB created with TyTool in order to use the flexible muxer (don't use DVDlab 1.2.1), if it is mpg then it will force you to demux in the compile stage, if it's VOB it will try to use it without demux, if you use the VOB from TyTool (at least r3) then DVDlab will not create good NAV information and you will get weird DVDs (can't FF/RW, or you move the slider in PowerDVD and start at random places, and most of the time the chapters don't work or make the chapters play always at start), that's why if you want perfect sync/chapters you need to do the long way.

I need to start testing a bit more with the new TyTool, to find better ways to make DVDlab work.

cullen_simpson
07-04-2003, 10:56 AM
bato:

I did get a successful burn from DVD Lab last night although I got
a strange message from Nero:

DVD-Video files reallocation failed. The resulting DVD-Video might be unplayable. Do you want to continue?

I said yes, then it asked about multisession and I said yes, then
I get another strange error:

There has been an error during read. The resulting disk may be unplayable.

I told it to go ahead.

Once the disc was finished it played fine in my DVD player and
with WinDVD. PowerDVD had some issues, but I don't care.

Anyway, I thought maybe Nero was screwed up since I had not
had these problems before. I rebooted. Then I used the tytool
method to create a disk and it all went smoothly.

Then I downloaded 1.2.2b and tried again. Got the exact same errors.

So, I am curious if you use Nero or some other method to burn.
If you use Nero have you seen these messages?

And lastly, I burned 5 episodes of Seinfeld, tytool makes a VOB
for each episode. However, DVD Lab seemed to combine all the
"real" data into 2 VOBs even though they are separate movies in DVD Lab. Does that seem right? Just curious.\

BTW, these are DTivo shows extracted with tytool 7.x,
keyfiles, GOP Edit cuts and mpgs creates with 7r6.

I just completed the burn from 1.22b with the above mentioned
errors. It worked great with WinDVD and my DVD player. As before though PowerDVD had issues. It starts the disc OK,
menu works, but use the slider to move forward and it pops up a message saying the disc is damaged. Odd, but not really important .

Thanks,
Cullen

bato
07-04-2003, 12:12 PM
I saw those errors a long time ago, then I started to use RecordNow DX, so no problems now, it works great with my Sony 500a.

As long as it works in your player.

DVDlab create a single PGC (or something like that) basically it create only one VTS_01_x.VOB set with one video after the other. Maybe in the future it will be able to create multi PGC (VTS_02_x.VOB, VTS_03_x.VOB, etc.), I don't understand well the dis/advantages for each but I think if you want different resolution/audio for the videos then you need to create multiple sets and not a single set, as you know all resolution/audio type/audio bitrate must be the same for DVDlab to create a good DVD.

cullen_simpson
07-04-2003, 12:52 PM
I saw those errors a long time ago, then I started to use RecordNow DX, so no problems now, it works great with my Sony 500a.

Their website only shows RecordNow MAX. I presume that is is just a newer version.

I may try Roxio as well since I have it loaded.

I have the Sony DRX-500UL. It is the external version and I use
firewire to access it.

Thanks for the info about the VOBs.

Cullen

bato
07-04-2003, 01:30 PM
RecordNow DX is what I got when upgraded the software that came with my Sony DRU500a, I'm at version 4.6 now. What software was bundled with your unit?

RxMan
07-04-2003, 07:19 PM
Bato,

Great work testing all of this stuff. I have read several threads and am also trying to learn to use DVDLab.

Here is what I have done.

1. Use Tytool7r6 to cut/and go to mpeg.
2. Add assett with DVDLab and select demux when importing.
3. Do the menus, etc...
4. Compile
5. Burn

I am attempting this now. Should I have gone to VOB from TyTool and then into DVDLab? Will I have some kind of audio hole problem?

THANKS!

snoopy
07-04-2003, 07:30 PM
Originally posted by RxMan
I am attempting this now. Should I have gone to VOB from TyTool and then into DVDLab? Will I have some kind of audio hole problem?
THANKS!

I don't think so. Not any more. MPG should work fine straight into DVD Lab (use the relaxed option checkbox).

bato
07-04-2003, 07:42 PM
I am attempting this now. Should I have gone to VOB from TyTool and then into DVDLab? Will I have some kind of audio hole problem? The easiest way is creat mpg with TyTool, then import into DVDlab (you even can go without demux) and in compile DVD select flexible muxer. Flexible muxer will demux the file and mux again into a VOB. From all files I have only 2 have sync problems at the end, so I'm almost sure that you will not have audio problems.

So what I do with those problem files, create VOB with TyTool, then create IFO files/dirs, then use those VOBs in DVDlab without demuxing, so DVDlab will not demux/remux them so at the end they work great.

I'll test the new chapter features in DVDlab to find if it's still needed to fix the GOP time code in the mpg/VOB files from TyTool to make good menus with DVDlab 1.2.2b.

RxMan
07-04-2003, 07:42 PM
Thanks Snoopy.

Do I even need to demux the mpeg? or just import it straight in?

I am compiling as we speak. :)

I noticed that I did not get any audio when playing in DVDLab.

bato
07-04-2003, 08:15 PM
I did my long way test (vobmux, create ifos, use those vobs in DVDlab 1.2.2b), still need to fix the GOP time code with VOBedit/mpeg2vcr for the chapters to work.

I'll try mpg-mux.

RxMan: you need to use flexible muxer in compile DVD window. I'll test also, but from the readme Oscar said it will demux the mpg anyway then create the VOB, so either way you need to demux the file, while importing or letting the flexible muxer do it. DVDLab do not have audio preview (with the video) this is a complain from some users but is a feature hard to implement.

RxMan
07-04-2003, 08:45 PM
Thanks!

OK. So, I can either demux when I first import the asset or it will demux it when it is compliling. Have you tried to burn through the DVDlab program?

I am about to try to make a DVD with Analyze This and Analize That on one DVD and selectable from the main menu.

I want to try to add some background audio and put it in the menu. Is there a way to grab that audio from the actual movie? I want to grab some into music and then have it loop while the menu is up.

Also, I imported/demuxed the mpeg, created a menu/chapters and compiled with the flexible muxer. The resulting DVD plays fine in my player and the chapter skips work just fine. Not sue what problem you were referring to.

bato
07-04-2003, 09:00 PM
OK. So, I can either demux when I first import the asset or it will demux it when it is compliling. Have you tried to burn through the DVDlab program? No, I prefer RecordNow DX.

I am about to try to make a DVD with Analyze This and Analize That on one DVD and selectable from the main menu. My project is to have those pictures but also with Spanish audio track.

I want to try to add some background audio and put it in the menu. Is there a way to grab that audio from the actual movie? I want to grab some into music and then have it loop while the menu is up.I don't have an audio editor, but I guess that if you demux the file you can open the audio track and edit/cut/whatever with an audio editor.

Also, I imported/demuxed the mpeg, created a menu/chapters and compiled with the flexible muxer. The resulting DVD plays fine in my player and the chapter skips work just fine. Not sue what problem you were referring to. Is not a problem when you only cut at start and end, but when you cut commercials for a show, you end up with GOP time code gaps that make the counter "jump" in DVDlab, that information is used to put the chapters in the final DVD, so you will end with non existing chapters that will make your show start from the begining. I'll do more tests with the frame indexing, but I think today there is no other way to have good chapters in DVDlab 1.2.2b and shows edited from the tivo with tytool.

RxMan
07-04-2003, 09:07 PM
Thanks Again.

Zagor
07-05-2003, 08:51 PM
I just went through 4 episodes of enterprise, I used tytool to extract, edit and to multiplex. I then used mpegvcr to fix the GOP errors. Two of the episodes came out just perfect and I was able to bring them in DVDLab and the DVD turned out perfect everything worked (menus, transitions, chapters, sync etc..).

The other two have a sync issue that starts out just fine but gets progressevely worse until by the end of the episoded they are off by several seconds.

I processed all of these episodes exactly the same way but I have not been able to figure out why this is happening.

BTW, I put all four episodes on the same DVD.

I am not quite sure why mpegvcr is causing the sync to get way off. I tried muliplexing with Patch Audio Holes option turned on but it made no difference.

bato
07-06-2003, 01:50 PM
Zagor: some files will get sync problems when demux/remux no matter what (fill holes, vob-mux, mpg-mux, etc.). With them you only have 2 options, the first maybe will work, the second always works.

1) Use TyStudio and if all goes well it will fix the video and audio so you can demux/remux the episode withou sync isues. Some people have problems with sync in normal tys so again this maybe will not work for the current TyStudio release.

2) Follow the perfect sync/chapters and DVDlab (post 4 from this thread)

Now you know why I most of the time use this way, is longer but in the end is perfect every time, with those bad files I can't get perfect sync when demux/remux. And the time you spend is not much more that using DVDlab with flexible muxer.

Zagor
07-06-2003, 03:06 PM
bato: I followed your steps as outlined in post 4 and it worked beautifully...

I should have paid more attention to your post ahead of time (would have saved me a headache or two). I just had never used vobedit/ifoedit before and wasn't sure how difficult it would be. Editing in vobedit was very easy...

Once again, thanks...

bato
07-07-2003, 12:01 AM
Zagor: no problem, glad the information was useful. Maybe someday I'll ask you for a copy of your Enterprise collection :D

panopticon_i
07-10-2003, 12:55 PM
Bato, or anyone,

Could you clear up an uncertainty for me.

Importing an mpeg or a vob into DVDLab as an asset, I get this warning that the format is SVCD 480x480. Is that something indicating that I need to worry about if I am trying make a DVD, or do I just ignore that?

Sorry for the dumb question.

P

bato
07-10-2003, 01:20 PM
I don't understand why DVDlab sometimes it say that you can't ignore the problem and sometimes say that you can, maybe a bug identifying the file?

Anyway, you don't have to worry about it, just continue and create the DVD.

Take note that some players can't handle the resolution (480x480) but it is ok in most players AFAIK.

jdiner
07-10-2003, 11:37 PM
Is anyone seeing the issues I ran into tonight while testing?

If I am in a DTivo 480x480 clip and fast forwarding and hit plat instead of ending the fast forward it jumps back to the menu.

Also in powerDVD and WinDVD I still can't fast forward or rewind but it does play smoothly start to finish.

Anyone else?

--jdiner

bato
07-11-2003, 12:16 AM
Are you using DVDlab with a mpg or vob from TyTool?
If VOB, the VOB is from TyTool (vobmux) or from DVDauthor (create IFO files/dirs)?

defsrg
07-11-2003, 10:35 AM
i am having a problem with no audio on my dvd lab projects. i used all the intructions at the beginning of the post including the force audio option and i cannot get any sound on my standalone players. the VOBs play with audio on my pc and the disc itself plays with audio on my dvd rom but nothing on my stand alones. these include many different apexs along with a region free malata 520 so im not sure what the deal is. i am using nero to burn but i dont see how that would anyhting to do with it.
tystudio - elemental streams- dvdlab- relaxed muxing with forced audio. have used both 720x480 and 480x480 for output options still no sound?????
________
ANGER MANAGEMENT FORUMS (http://www.health-forums.org/anger-management/)

jdiner
07-11-2003, 10:40 AM
Are you using DVDlab with a mpg or vob from TyTool?
If VOB, the VOB is from TyTool (vobmux) or from DVDauthor (create IFO files/dirs)?
I tried both an mpeg and a vob and neither worked. Completely different output from those 2 options now. But both came from TyTool. I suppose i could mux elsewhere but that is not what I was trying to get working... I was looking for just a better way to do fancy menu's.

--jdiner

Hoodm3
07-11-2003, 11:48 AM
Can anyone tell me what I need to do to upgrade from Tystudio to Tytool 7r2?

rolleyes:

johnwill
07-11-2003, 11:50 AM
7r2 :confused: The current version is 7r6 I believe, and it should work a lot better than that early version!

Hoodm3
07-11-2003, 03:24 PM
Ok whatever the version, I just need to know what all needs to be done......

johnwill
07-11-2003, 03:33 PM
You start by downloading the latest ZIP file and reading the included directions.:rolleyes:

bato
07-11-2003, 04:30 PM
Originally posted by jdiner
I tried both an mpeg and a vob and neither worked. Completely different output from those 2 options now. But both came from TyTool. I suppose i could mux elsewhere but that is not what I was trying to get working... I was looking for just a better way to do fancy menu's.

--jdiner
You need DVDlab 1.2 or better just stay away form 1.2.1. You need to select "flexible, any source" multiplexer in the compile DVD window. You may have chapter problems if you cut commercials with tytool without fixing the time code.

If you use the VOB from TyTool (vob-mux) then you can't FF/RW with PowerDVD, this is because some information in the NAV packs created is empty.

If you use a VOB from create IFOs files/dirs (after DVDAuthor with menus) then you will be able to FF/RW in PowerDVD.

If the VOBs have more than 1 Cell ID before using it in DVDlab then you will have counter display problems in your DVD player, because DVDlab doesn't recreate this information, so if you have Cell IDs every 5min and do not create any chapter in DVDlab your player's counter will go from 0 to 5min then back to 0 to 5min, etc. the movie will play ok, but the counter will not work.

Some questions:
- what version are you using? (1.1, 1.15, 1.2, 1.2.1, 1.2.2b)
- are you using "flexible, any source" multiplexer in DVDlab?

In theory you can create a mpg from TyTool, then use DVDlab 1.2 or 1.2.2b with flexible muxer and will have a good DVD if you cut start/end only with TyTool. If you cut commercials is better to GOP time code fix the mpg prior to using DVDlab to make the chapters work ok (this information is from previous test, now DVDlab support frame-index, so this may be better than fix the timestamp).

jdiner
07-11-2003, 05:33 PM
You need DVDlab 1.2 or better just stay away form 1.2.1.

I am using 1.2.2 beta. I saw messages before about other versions no complaints about this one. At least not that I saw... :)

And I used the flexible source. Without that things crash very nicely over and over...

I didn't put in any chapter stops. I was trying to start very simple and work up and even the simple stuff did not work quite right. Just kind of wierd...

--jdiner

snoopy
07-11-2003, 06:23 PM
I am using 1.2.2 beta. I saw messages before about other versions no complaints about this one. At least not that I saw... :)

And I used the flexible source. Without that things crash very nicely over and over...

I didn't put in any chapter stops. I was trying to start very simple and work up and even the simple stuff did not work quite right. Just kind of wierd...

--jdiner

using fexible muxer works flawlessly for me

bato
07-11-2003, 08:49 PM
jdiner, as Snoopy said, it works here too, wierd. I'm sorry I can't help you.

defsrg
07-11-2003, 10:16 PM
sooooo nobody else had the sound issue??? hmmmmmmmmm??
________
Buy roor bongs (http://glassbongs.org/)

bato
07-11-2003, 10:30 PM
Sorry defsrg, I missed your post.

The no audio on standalone issue most of the time is that we are using mpeg audio and not dolby, many players by default only want to play AC3 audio, so you have 2 options:

1) transcode to AC3
2) go to the setup in your standalone and move the audio options until you get audio

I think if you have a home theater setup maybe you are stuck with PCM or AC3 audio and no MPA, but I'm not so sure about this.

I hope one of this options fix your problem, if so please post back what you changed to make it work, this will help other people with same problem. Thanks.

defsrg
07-11-2003, 11:30 PM
it seems if it were a standalone issue i wouldnt have any luck with any other programs also, e.g tmpgenc, spruce up etc. i have no audio problems with these programs using the same elemental streams so i am assuming it must either be a setting or something with the m2a file not sure but i will mess around and let everyone know.
thanx
________
WIKI VAPORIZER (http://vaporizerwiki.com)

bato
07-11-2003, 11:51 PM
that is wierd man, are you using dvdlab 1.2 or 1.2.2b?, so it plays ok in PC and not in your players and if you use other sofware with same files then the audio plays ok? very wierd.

cullen_simpson
07-12-2003, 01:25 PM

--jdiner

Using DVDLab 1.22beta and TyTool 7r6, and a Hughes DTivo Series 1, I do this:

Use tytool to download in ty mode
create keyfiles
use GOPEditor to make cuts
use tytool to multiplex into mpg
Import the mpg into DVDLab (no time transcoding) and demux
Make the menus and then compile the DVD with flexible muxing
I then use Nero to burn the DVD. Nero gives errors, but it works anyway.

With these steps I have found that:
PowerDVD (at least my version) is basically useless. It starts to play and all seems OK, but you can not use the slider and then
after about a minute it gets an error and convinces Win2000 that my DVD drive has been removed.

WinDVD works great with the menus and the playback is great except that at about 2 minutes before the end of each seinfeld episode, the video freezed for a sec and then jumps back to the start of the episode. If you use the slider to pass the "bad spot" then you can see the rest of the video. The bad spot does not coincide with a chapter stop.

My home Proscan DVD (so old it was a Divx player) behaves the same as WinDVD with the playback hiccup. The menus look great although for some reason, the navigation does not actually work, I have to use the DVD players menu to select titles and chapters.
This did not happen on discs I did last week with the default
button routing feature of DVDLab. However, on this latest disc I changed the button transitions. They work great under WinDVD, but not on the real DVD player.

I can get over the menu issue, but the video hiccup is a real pain.
I guess I have to redo the timecode thing, but the times in WinDVD and even in DVDLab seem accurate.

Anyway, thought I would throw my 2 cents in.

defsrg
07-12-2003, 08:47 PM
i using 1 22 beta. now i just tried compiling w/o force audio and the disc itself will not play with sound either on my dvd rom or my standalone. however i have sound when i play the Vob files in VLC. so somewhere in the burning process i am losing the audio but i cant imagine how?? i have used both nero and tmpgenc author to burn both with the same result. man this just aint right and it sucks cuz i love the menus i can make with dvd lab.
________
Cb650 (http://www.cyclechaos.com/wiki/Honda_CB650)

defsrg
07-13-2003, 07:12 PM
hey ho got it got it!!!!!
in the toolbar there is a option for IFO editor under the tool button. it was set to 2 channel dolby digital when the m2a i was using was just plain old 2 channel stereo so there are presets for your liking changed mine from dolby 2 channel to mpeg and lo and behold finished product now has sound. hope this helps someone else!!!!
________
Hurt from prilosec (http://www.classactionsettlements.org/lawsuit/prilosec/)

mglacey
07-17-2003, 10:13 PM
Hi guys. Hopefully someone can tell me where I am erroring.

Hardware used:
Sony DRU 510A Burner
Sony DVP-NS725P DVD Player

Software used:
TYTOOLs 7A7
DVDLab 1.22 Beta
Nero 5.5.10.35 (used sometimes)
MPEG2VCR v1.14

Goal:
To burn DTivo shows, with commercials edited, onto DVD - complete with full menus. Example: I want to have multiple shows (e.g. 6 different tom and jerry episodes for the kids) that have 1 (one) single menu, linking to each chapter where each separate cartoon starts in the various imported movies in DVDLAB

What I have done to date:
Well, read this thread and have about 11 coasters - figured it's time to ask.

Using TYTools 7A7, I do the following:
1 - copy TY file in TY 7A7 client
2 - Make keyfile with said TY file
3 - Edit keyfile to strip out commercials
4 - Create VOB file
NOTE: I do not create the IFO's.

Using MPEG2VCR, I do the following:
5 - Run MPEG GOP Fixer
5.1 - Open the file in the input window
5.2 - "Scan" for problems (first bullet under test options)
5.3 - Once Scan is complete, I will run "Fix" using Fix 1, GOP time code (second bullet down)

I will repeat the above steps until I have all the VOB files ready to go onto a disc

Using DVDLAB 1.2.2 Beta
6 - Create a new file
7 - Import all movies into multiple movie files. I select the third option down when adding the VOB assets, First Join the VOB then use it directly without Multiplexing
7.1 - NOTE - I did use the other options at this point, but I did not run MPEG2VCR when I did it over the past couple days. For today's file, I did - and it failed - so I will continue.
8 - Create chapters in the movie files
9 - Create text in the root menu, linking the various text links to the various chapters
10 - Compile
11 - Burn

Tonight, after using MPEG2VCR, the built in burner in DVDLAB gave a system error and crashed. I used NERO and had the same result.

THE RESULT:
The menu opens fine. I can select a chapter/movie and it will play with the audio synced correctly. I cannot, however, fast forward or skip to the next chapter once the video has started playing. This results in the DVD going back to the main menu. This happened WITH and WITHOUT using MPEG2VCR. I must be doing something wrong.

Does anyone have an idea that you are willing to share?

I have read all of Bato's posts, as well as Snoopy's. I'm stumped.

Thanks.

mglacey
07-17-2003, 10:15 PM
"Tonight, after using MPEG2VCR, the built in burner in DVDLAB gave a system error and crashed. I used NERO and had the same result."

Meaning NERO did not crash, instead it resulted in the failed DVD as described in the above message.

mglacey
07-17-2003, 10:17 PM
Not MPEG2VCR 1.14, 3.14.

I have a new baby - I'm tired. :)

bato
07-18-2003, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by mglacey
4 - Create VOB file
NOTE: I do not create the IFO's.
The VOBs created with TyTool do not have good information in the PCI/DSI part for the NAV packs, DVDlab doesn't fix this information (the create IFOs part of TyTool with the aid of DVDAuthor fix this information) so you can't FF/RW.

So your options are:
1.- demux your VOBs
2.- create IFOs with TyTool and use those VOBs

If you test your DVD with PowerDVD you will find that you can't FF/RW, that's why I recomend always test with PowerDVD then with DVD±RW. Even your chapters created with DVDlab will not work.

mglacey
07-18-2003, 02:22 PM
Thanks Bato.

As I get an error when using TYTOOL 7/7 when I try to create a directory for making IFO's (cannot create directory), I will demux using MPEG2VCR.

so my ammended steps will be:
1 - get a VOB from TYT 7/7, with edited commercials
2 - run it through MPEG2VCR, use the GOP Fixer
3 - run the VOB through the demultiplexer in MPEG2VCR (do i need to rerun the GOP fixer on the video file at this step?)
4 - import the separated audio and video files into DVDLAB
5 - build as normal

In TYT 7/7, I cannot change the ISO Location directory. When I run Make ISO or Preview, I get an error saying the destination is incorrect. I cannot add/modify the current iso location, which is c:\(special character here, a square)

I'll give this a shot tonight unless you have another idea.

Thanks again.

defsrg
07-18-2003, 06:20 PM
anyone had a problem with playback when adding audio to a menu? i just tried it and the sound is cracking and breaking up just wondering if i missed another setting or something
________
COACH PURSES (http://icoachhandbags.com/)

Hoodm3
07-18-2003, 09:31 PM
I have found using Dtvio & Tystudio, could be same with Tytools that you need to use elemental and AC3 when using DVDlab 1.22. Once I figured this out and how to use DVDlab it works great!

Hoodm3
07-18-2003, 09:32 PM
YOUR DIRECTIONS WERE GREAT!!!!!!!:D

mglacey
07-18-2003, 09:38 PM
Thanks guys. :)

KingCurly
08-02-2003, 04:30 PM
Has anyone got an MPG to work as the main menu backdrop?

I thought I had, but when I finished compiling the DVD all the was in the directory was:-

VTS_01.VOB 0KB
VTS_01_1.VOB 787,360KB

and no VIDEO_TS files.

I can produce the VIDEO_TS file if I replace the MPG with a still, but I wanted my DVDs to have the professional touch.

I'm using 1.2.2 Beta and tytool7r7 on windows ME.

Any ideas how to get MPG to work?

Thanks,

m0nk3y
08-09-2003, 09:05 AM
Ive tried the latest DVD lab, and get no files in the output dir after compilation !! Am i missing something !

edsel
08-12-2003, 03:17 AM
Hiyas,

I've finally started to tinker with my .ty files. And am attempting to burn a DVD.

I've been looking at the methods and it seems to boil down to two.

Bato's Longer method (Which I'm in the process off...)
- extract .ty files (7r8)
- make key
- make cuts
- VOB Mux the files
- IFOedit. The Vob's are less than 1gb and I used the cuts as chapters.
- Use VOBedit. I skipped this step as I didn't have vobedit handy and I saw another post that was using this similar step with the VOBedit. (How necessary is this?)
- Fix GOP in MPEG2VCR
- Test in PowerDVD (yay! I'm here so far and it looks goode)
- Import VOB in DVDlab (1.3b1)
- No demux as is.
- Here is were i stopped as my VOBs are 480x480 thats not DVD compliant. I want this DVD to be able to be played on as many players as possible. Is this ok? or is this the way DTivo records?.

Second Method (not tried)
- extract .ty files
- make key
- make cuts
- Mux Files? or is It split files? . This should crete elemental video and audio right?.
- Import into DVDlab with relaxed Mux
- Compile
- burn test

So, I have a few questions.

1. Do I need to VOBedit if I go via Bato?.
2. 480x480 is normal?
3. Did I get the workflow of the 2 methods correct?

Cheers,
Ed

m0nk3y
08-12-2003, 07:19 AM
Got the latest 1.3 version down. Now my tivo fils complie and are all in the output dir.

At last

bato
08-12-2003, 02:29 PM
Originally posted by m0nk3y
Got the latest 1.3 version down. Now my tivo fils complie and are all in the output dir.

At last Are you using fast or flexible multiplexer?

I guess now I have some test to do with this new version to find what is/not fixed.

edsel
08-12-2003, 02:51 PM
Grrr..

My resulting DVD compile in with DVDlab 1.31b works in PowerDVD as a HD file.

I notice that the sliders aren't working properly though.

But when I burnt a DVD-r it would read in my Panasonice DMR-E10 and my Phillips 715

Arrgh... I don't know where I went wrong..

I was using Nero 5 with the DVD video option.

Advice anyone?

bato
08-12-2003, 03:39 PM
First test looks ok, this is what I did:

1- download ty from Dtivo
2- Make key
3- Edit key (5 places, not just start/end)
4- Multiplex Files
5- import into DVDlab let it demux
6- compile DVD with Fast multiplexer (the one never able to compile Dtivo files before)
7- perfect sync in PowerDVD, sliders work, and time shown is correct

no other tools used here.

Tests for later:
- vob input
- chapters
- multiple shows
- actual burn and test in different players

chapters are not placed correctly, I guess this is because the timestamp problem, I'll try to GOP fix it
GOP fix the time code with mpeg2vcr (the original mpg) resulted in almost perfect chapters (only 1 I-frame before/after)

m0nk3y
08-12-2003, 04:13 PM
please delete /ignore

m0nk3y
08-12-2003, 04:13 PM
Bugger, it was perfect but no sound. I have just done another with a different process, so will let you know how it goes. And yes, i was using the flexible option.

edsel
08-12-2003, 04:39 PM
Bato,

Do you use DVDlab to burn or another DVD burning software?.

btw. I can't wait to get home and try what you did...

1- download ty from Dtivo
2- Make key
3- Edit key (5 places, not just start/end)
4- import into DVDlab let it demux
5- compile DVD with Fast multiplexer (the one never able to compile Dtivo files before)
6- perfect sync in PowerDVD, sliders work, and time shown is correct

After step 3 you VOB-MUX the file right?

And then you GOP Scan and FIX the VOB.

And then you go to step 4?

bato
08-12-2003, 04:48 PM
Originally posted by edsel
Do you use DVDlab to burn or another DVD burning software?. I use RecordNow.

After step 3 you VOB-MUX the file right? I edited my post, in this quick test I used Multiplex Files

And then you GOP Scan and FIX the VOB. To make the chapters work (by only 1 I-Frame) I needed to use mpeg2vcr GOP fix feature to fix error types 1 and 2 only, not type 3 (DVD size) because that takes too much time for me, makes the file larger, and now DVDlab fast multiplexer can handle the file.

I'll do more tests and report back. Some other ideas:
- use ReStream
- do not demux in DVDlab (maybe will work faster)
- try to find my old problem ty to do more tests, but I think I deleted that already :(

m0nk3y
08-13-2003, 06:49 PM
this is for UK Tivo and DVD players..

Extract TY stream from your Tivo with TyTools or TyStudio. (I use TyTools)
Edit and process with TyStudio selecting the DVD output for both video and audio.
(I found TyStudio made cleaner cuts). I also used TyStudio to take a snap shot of my source, saved as *.PNG and used this as the background in DVD-Lab. It looks really professional if you take a still of the start of a film or series when the main titles are up.
Import the new Mpeg file into DVD-Lab and choose D-Mux. Ignore the message that the video is a “SATV source”. Create your menu and music etc. For the project I choose full D1 and Auto aspect. Compile and burn to DVD using the flexible Multiplexer option. You can use Nero or DVD-Lab to burn.

Cracking Menu options in DVD-Lab with auto chapters etc, makes life easy.

Plays on most players, but I found older ones couldn’t read the disk, but plays on mine and that’s the main thing.

If you do have real problems playing on you player, then you can always re-encode the Mpeg file from TyStudio with TMPEGnc to make it fully DVD compliant, but this takes time and best done overnight with the batch process.

I went through a stack of DVD/RW’s testing, but at least I can erase these again, so suggest you try on these first.

** Note. This works on DVD-Lab 1.3, I had trouble with earlier versions**

Hope it helps

bato
08-14-2003, 12:49 PM
Edit and process with TyStudio selecting the DVD output for both video and audio.
(I found TyStudio made cleaner cuts). I also used TyStudio to take a snap shot of my source, saved as *.PNG and used this as the background in DVD-Lab.
I think TyStudio close all GOPs at cut point and not TyTool that's why sometimes you get some "pixels" at cut point with TyTool.
I always have problems with last cut point with TyStudio, it cut before the point I place like 10 seconds, this is exporting to elemental stream, I'll try DVD output, maybe my machine, don't know.

For a fast process, will be great:
- TyStudio, process ty, make cuts, export elemental stream
- DVDlab take elemental stream create DVD

So no mux/demux time wasted.

m0nk3y
08-15-2003, 05:24 AM

Yeah, i tied that but lost sound. If i opened the vob on my PC there was sound, but if i played the dvd on the pc or in my DVD player, no sound.

I will try again on the elemental streams as it would be faster.

Cheers

bato
08-15-2003, 09:15 AM
Yeah, i tied that but lost sound. If i opened the vob on my PC there was sound, but if i played the dvd on the pc or in my DVD player, no sound. In DVDlab in Tools there is an option called "IFO Editor - Audio", you select that (after compile) and make sure that you have 1 audio for all PGCs and the right option (mpeg, AC3 2ch or 5.1) press OK and then some IFO is changed and now you have audio (this only apply when you play the DVD and there is no sound but if you play only the VOB you have, like in your case).

Do you have the problem with last cut or is only me?

Xaa
08-15-2003, 10:36 AM
I'm using Dtivo>>tytools>>DVD lab and the issue I have is minor. I'm making a compliation of all the West Wing episodes and I can fit 5 or 6 on a DVD. What happens though is that at the end of each episode, intead of returning to the menu, it begins playing the next one automatically.

When I look on the connections screen the line coming out of each movie element goes back to the menu and says "ret" on it.

Am I doing something wrong? Is there a way to achieve my desired result?

Thanks,

Xaa

panopticon_i
08-15-2003, 11:16 AM
I tried the mux'd mpeg and still got sync problems. I GOP-fixed it with Mpg-VCR too.

With the updated Tytools and the updated DVDLab 1.3, do we still have to use Bato's long method (VOB>IFO > vobeditor > Mpg2Vcr > DVDlab) to ensure audio sync?

m0nk3y
08-15-2003, 11:48 AM
Cheers Bato, will try your suggestions at the weekend. I don't seem to have any problems with the last cut, but i must admit that i haven't sat down and watched one all the way through. i have just skipped through checking the file. Will also have a look at that at the weekend too, and let you know.

Cheers

bato
08-15-2003, 02:40 PM
...all the way through... I just "slide" to the end with PowerDVD and see that I miss around 10 sec at the end.

panopticon_i: Some ty give problems and the only way (at least for me) to get a perfect DVD is to follow the long method in the first posts in this thread, anything else result in sync problems.

Xaa : if all the returns are pointing to the menu it should return. If you want each movie at end continue with the next you should change the arrows to point to the next movie. If this is not happening it should be a bug. What version are you using? 1.3b1?

DVDlab 1.3b1 update here (http://www.mediachance.com/files/dvdlabup13beta1.exe)

Xaa
08-15-2003, 02:46 PM
Thanks Bato. It is odd. I think I'm using 1.2.2. I'll update.

Anyway, DVDlab to me is the best tool to use along with Dtivo extraction and tytools. It's easy and I find it really reliable.

Xaa

bato
08-19-2003, 01:01 PM
Some new and some changed information in first 5 posts.

I'll be doing some tests in the following weeks to find the less time-consuming/space-needed way to create a good DVD with DVDlab. I'm thinking:
- cuts with TyStudio
- cuts with TyTool
- cuts with mpeg2vcr

of course, only TyTool is needed to go from Tivo to DVD but I want to use DVDlab, as you know DVDlab is not perfect* so sometimes the process needs other tools to make the input work all the way to DVD in DVDlab.

* what it needs:
- fix NAV packs in VOBs if needed
- fix CELL handle in VOBs
- better chapter creation with index feature
- able to compile larger GOPs

m0nk3y
08-19-2003, 01:44 PM
Also getting the problem in DVD-lab where the speed of the menu music is too fast. I have converted MP3 to wav and the wav's play fine on the PC. After i compile the DVD the music is way too fast, like a load of chipmonks singing !!??

Anyone else

m0nk3y
08-19-2003, 05:18 PM
Cheers Bato, Used the IFO edit in DVD lab, and just as you said, i can extract the elemental stream, straight into DVD-Lab and patch the audio after i have compiled. Saves a lot of time...

bato
08-19-2003, 07:49 PM
Also getting the problem in DVD-lab where the speed of the menu music is too fast. I have converted MP3 to wav and the wav's play fine on the PC. After i compile the DVD the music is way too fast, like a load of chipmonks singing !!??

Anyone else Some people reported this in mmbforums, I don't know the answer for this but I think some used AC3 instead, but then maybe you need AC3 in all movies :confused:

rambisarinet
08-21-2003, 08:37 AM
I have pored over this thread, but I still can't figure out IFOEdit. Bato says use IFOEdit to rip each show. What does this mean? I already have vob files. Would like to combine them into one file before using mpg2vcr. I've seen the no split option under split vob-id, but it can be used with several commands and whenever I have tried it, it doesn't combine the files. What should I be doing? (By the way, I've tried to import into dvdlab after vobedit, but I get sync problems.) Any help would be great. I have been struggling with this for a week.

bato
08-21-2003, 10:19 AM
Originally posted by rambisarinet
... I already have vob files. Your vob files are from vob mux or from Create IFO files and dirs? Vob mux is a mpeg with some VOB information in it so dvdauthor (in TyTool7), the NAV information is not correct so if you use that in DVDlab and do not demux then you can't FF/RW in PowerDVD and no chapters will work. You need the VOBs created with the Create IFO files/dirs option in TyTool, that will create a final DVD structure but you can use the VOBs with DVDlab if you create no chapters (to make chapters work in DVDlab).

...whenever I have tried it, it doesn't combine the files. What should I be doing?Your files must be named VTS_01_1.VOB, VTS_01_2.VOB and you need the IFO file as well to make IFOedit "rip" with no-split you movie.

...By the way, I've tried to import into dvdlab after vobedit, but I get sync problems. In DVDlab you do not demux your VOBs, if the original VOB do not have sync problems then the final VOB in DVDlab will not have sync problems because DVDlab will not remux the VOB if you select the option to use the VOB as is.

bato
10-18-2003, 04:49 PM
Oscar email me saying that he will release version 1.3beta5 soon, and it fixes the "less frames than actual" frame-index bug.

So I guess is time to update the guides to reflect this change.

In short, you will not need mpeg2vcr or other tool to fix the timestamp in your files.

Look for the changes a couple of days after beta5 release.

snoopy
10-18-2003, 08:08 PM
Oscar email me saying that he will release version 1.3beta5 soon, and it fixes the "less frames than actual" frame-index bug.

So I guess is time to update the guides to reflect this change.

In short, you will not need mpeg2vcr or other tool to fix the timestamp in your files.

Look for the changes a couple of days after beta5 release.
I saw on the website recently, that he planned multiple vts versions. I sure hope he plans on changing this soon. It's the only thing keeping me from migrating there permenantly.

slideaway
10-29-2003, 08:58 AM
bato

Did your process last night on the second half of the Nip/Tuck season and it worked flawlessly with the 'Perfect sync/ chapters..." procedure.

The only thing I noticed is that the video seems blockier than when I MUX to Mpg. This is the first time I have Mux'd to VOB in TyTool8r3 and the final product, although no skips or audio flukes, seemed a bit blockier than the MPG Mux. Don't know if this is Directv's true colors coming out on how much there compressing the signal or if I may have fudge a step in the process.

Only on thing was the Chapters worked out great but the Time. Boy was the time SO out of Whack. I'd skip to the next chapter and the time starts at zero and then about 20-40 seconds in it changes to 88h:02m:xxs. Weird. That may have been a mistake I made, if so, is there are fix. If not, I don't really care as I can remember the chapter I was on, time is only cosmetic on the player display.

Thanks for everything though, fantastic process!!!

Edit:
Used DVDlab 1.3 b5 and Fast DVD engine when I compiled (did not demux when I imported).

snoopy
10-29-2003, 01:52 PM
removed -- sorry bato

bato
10-29-2003, 08:43 PM
Originally posted by slideaway
The only thing I noticed is that the video seems blockier than when I MUX to Mpg. ...

Only on thing was the Chapters worked out great but the Time. Boy was the time SO out of Whack. ...

Thanks for everything though, fantastic process!!!

Edit:
Used DVDlab 1.3 b5 and Fast DVD engine when I compiled (did not demux when I imported). AFAIK the mpg output and vob output from TyTool is the same only the vob output is an "incomplete" vob structure, the video is complete but the NAV information is all 0.

If you followed my guide I guess you used mpeg2vcr and fixed the time stamps, right? So this is very weird. My only guess is that you created chapters for the VOBs with TyTool.

Yep, you can use the Fast engine because it uses the VOB as is without remuxing.

Originally posted by snoopy
Taking a VOB from TyTool into DVD lab isn't a good idea. My guide say clearly that you need to use the VOB after creating a DVD with TyTool (not the simple VOB mux), this is because the VOB mux file doesn't have correct NAV information and DVDlab can't make it work without that information.

Maybe Oscar can make it work, but I don't know if there is big user base for him to work in this.

VideoJoe
10-30-2003, 08:41 AM
Otto just posted he's working on a 'rewrite GOP timecode tool' for the latest release. Hope this will eliminate the need for mpeg2vcr.

bato
10-30-2003, 08:59 AM
VideoJoe, I just saw that too, my guess is the same, right now you can skip using mpeg2vcr if you use 1.3beta5 and frame-index chapters, don't know if the player display will be affected by this but PowerDVD display the right time and play chapter perfect. This is what Oscar is working for 1.3beta6 (from history page):
Version 1.3 BETA 6 (working on it)
- Finally fix for the PAL hi-lite bug that affected few PAL players such as Samsung, Bush, Cyberhome
- Fix for some very rare cases when the background of highliting area can become visible (blue).
- Added displaying of Average Bitrate in Assets and in connection, check. Added warning for high bitrate
-Some GUI fixes, added reset toolbars.
-Save, Cancel fix (file was saved anyway)
-Fix Force Selection on motion (couldn't select any other button than selected)
-Added Bitrate Viewer and Average bitrate display in Assets, Movie and connection.
-Added Rewrite GOP timecode tool
-The Import chapters saves the chapterpoints also as frame number so at compile you can choose between fast (timecode) or precize (Frame-Index) chapters.

slideaway
10-30-2003, 09:34 AM
AFAIK the mpg output and vob output from TyTool is the same only the vob output is an "incomplete" vob structure, the video is complete but the NAV information is all 0.

If you followed my guide I guess you used mpeg2vcr and fixed the time stamps, right? So this is very weird. My only guess is that you created chapters for the VOBs with TyTool.

No, I created the chapters in DVDLab (set to 99 in Tytool, using shows less than 99min). I used VOBedit and mpeg2vcr then DVDlab. No biggie. Just curious if you may have seen this senario in past experiences.

So I understand you, after 1.3 b6 of LAB comes out we can go straight from TYTool to the LAB?

Have you done any further experiments with perfect cuts (frame acurate using mpeg2vcr) and sync? Or are we still 'stuck' with GOP accurate cuts at this time?

Thanks

bato
10-30-2003, 11:08 AM
I did some tests, but I hope I can do more this weekend. I used TyTool, make key, edit key, mpg mux, import into DVDlab, demux while importing, Frame-Index chapters, Alternate mux and I got a perfect sync, perfect chapters, perfect time display with PowerDVD, I don't know if the time display will work in a DVD player becuase we have "jumps" in the time stamp because we cut commercials with TyTool.

Also I used TyTool to only go from ty to mpg, then import that mpg into mpeg2vcr, cut commercials there (frame accurate), and do the same in DVDlab (demux, frame-index, alternate), but I think mpeg2vcr rewrites the timestamp, so we end without "jumps" there.

We'll have to wait for beta6 to see how the GOP timecode tool works, right now is only a guess.

bato
10-30-2003, 11:14 AM
Only on thing was the Chapters worked out great but the Time. Boy was the time SO out of Whack. I'd skip to the next chapter and the time starts at zero and then about 20-40 seconds in it changes to 88h:02m:xxs. Weird. That may have been a mistake I made, if so, is there are fix. If not, I don't really care as I can remember the chapter I was on, time is only cosmetic on the player display. Can you test the same project but now select Frame-Index in compile window post-compile options with 1.3beta5, maybe the new fixed Frame-Index work a little different than without.

Also check the VOBs created with DVDlab with mpeg2vcr's GOP fix tool to check if there is no time code problem.

I hope one of this things fix the display problem.

slideaway
10-30-2003, 12:01 PM
Can you test the same project but now select Frame-Index in compile window post-compile options with 1.3beta5, maybe the new fixed Frame-Index work a little different than without.

Also check the VOBs created with DVDlab with mpeg2vcr's GOP fix tool to check if there is no time code problem.

I hope one of this things fix the display problem.

That was actually my next question, can I select the Frame-Index for chapters cause I DID NOT do that on my first run. I will try it out tonight and let you know of my results. I will also check the VOB's after DVDlab has complied them.

Thanks for your help

EDIT:

Tried the Frame-Index last night, after fixing my F'ed up Tivo from the software upgrade, no go! The time still is screwed up but the chapters still worked fine so I guess we know that you can select Frame-Index.

VideoJoe
11-04-2003, 08:49 AM
Beta 6 is out ! Unfortuntly my workstation is down and I can't try it until AMD tests and sends my processors back.

bato
11-04-2003, 10:44 AM
In beta 6 there is a Rewrite GOP time code feature, but there is a bug in it, so wait for the next beta for the fix. The rewrite GOP will put 00:00:00 as first time code and then recreate the time code. So if you edit with TyTool you will end with a good time code (no need for mpeg2vcr of frame-index) to make it work.

Again, there is a bug in this feature in Beta 6. Will write 00:00:00 to every GOP.

bato
11-11-2003, 05:44 PM
Well, I waited for DVDlab 1.3beta7 and did some testing, what I found is (ty, edited with TyTool8r3, mpg, demux with DVDlab at import):
- Tools - Rewrite GOP timecode worked, it set the first time code at 0:00:00 and change everything else so the file will no longer have the "jumps" in time code where the material was cut. It is fast too (only change some values in the mpv) about 15sec for a 42min video in my machine.
- With the timecode fixed then the chapters work without frame-index (Rewrite GOP process is faster than frame-index, both only 1 time jobs).
- Main multiplexer worked but after a "glitch" in the video recorded sync delay about 0.5 sec (not nice)
- Alternative multiplexer did a better job, no sync problem even after the "glitch"

This was my first test with beta7 and only with 1 file, we have to test more to find if there is a way to make good DVDs with TyTool and DVDlab all the time without the need to create full DVDs first with TyTool.

cullen_simpson
11-11-2003, 06:12 PM
Was the glitch in your source program or was it something tytool or DVD Lab introduced?

bato
11-11-2003, 08:56 PM
The glitch is in the source, don't remember if it was bad weather, an airplane or the slow drive used then (too many things while recording).

cullen_simpson
11-11-2003, 08:58 PM
So then, your theory is that perhaps the Main Multiplexor would work if the source was OK?

Does this buy us anything over the Alternate method? Is it faster, etc...

bato
11-11-2003, 11:11 PM
I think that, if original file is OK then my guess is that Main can work. Main is faster than Alternative and use less space, but not that big issue for me, I always use Alternative anyway.

cullen_simpson
11-11-2003, 11:13 PM
I will try to do some tests tomorrow.
I have been holding off some of my processing in the hopes that jdiner would have the improved GOP Editor done, but I have some test videos I can try.

slideaway
11-12-2003, 10:07 AM
Bato: Just to confirm the steps you took

Tytool8r3
- Extract
- Build Keys
- Edit
- Mux to MPG (Not VOB)

Then straight to DVDlab 1.3b7
(nothing in between, no mpeg2vcr or vobedit, right?)
- Import, Demux when doing so
- Create Menus and such
- Compile with Alt engine

This is the latest process you used with beta 7 and you got perfect sync and chapters (and time display on DVD player)?

I want to confirm since I'm going to test that tonight.

bato
11-12-2003, 10:53 AM
Tytool8r3
- Extract
- Build Keys
- Edit
- Mux to MPG (Not VOB)

Then straight to DVDlab 1.3b7
(nothing in between, no mpeg2vcr or vobedit, right?)
- Import, Demux when doing so-select the video in assets window, go to Tools - Rewrite GOP timecode
- create chapters
- Create Menus and such
- Compile with Alt engine- select Force Audio for all movies
This is the latest process you used with beta 7 and you got perfect sync and chapters (and time display on DVD player)?

I want to confirm since I'm going to test that tonight. Didn't burn the DVD to check the display, but my guess is that there will be no problems. Good luck in your test and remember this was only my first test with 1.3b7.

bato
11-12-2003, 11:00 AM
I'll be doing more tests in the next few days and I'll update the post at start of this thread. If jdiner releases the next "frame-accurate" TyTool then I'll wait to update until I test that.

Snoopy contacted me and if you only doing movies and will not cut anything (or shows without removing commercials) the process that may work (I have to test this):

- TyTool - vsplit mode - download movie/show to elementals
- import elementals into DVDlab
- Test with Tools - Rewrite GOP timecode to see if timecode start at 0:00:00 and fix it (optional)
- set chapters to start on movie or at each end of commercial break
- set menu to play first chapter instead 0:00:00 (so you jump the start junk you didn't cut)
- compile

If its movie, it will start at the movie (first chapter) instead the very start (promo junk), if it's a show, it will start at show and when commercial start just press next chapter and you jump that too.

This is for people that want fast results with the menus with DVDlab and don't want to edit anything. You can get 2 or more movies in a single DVD and 4 1hr shows most of the time.

cullen_simpson
11-14-2003, 06:18 PM
I just tried beta 7 using a new show downloaded with the latest tytool code.

Extract to ty
make keyfile
edit with GOP Editor to remove commercials
create .mpg file

import to DVDLab and let it demux.
made a simple menu
No chapters
No GOP rewrite or Force Audio (I forgot to try them)
Compile with Main Multiplex.
Burn to DVD.
Result: The video would freeze every 5 or 10 seconds. I could FF to get it going again, but it would hang.

So, I repeated the above except used the alternate multiplex and it worked beautifully and the time was correct in the DVD player window.

I don't know what caused the hangs. It was not the media as I used the same DVD+RW for both tests.

So, for now I will stick with the alternate.

slideaway
11-23-2003, 02:02 PM
Updated perfect sync, chapters....

Tytool8r3-Tytool9r10
- Extract
- Build Keys
- Edit w/GOPEdit
- Mux to MPG (Not VOB)

Then straight to DVDlab 1.3b9 (Nothing between)
- Select the video in assets window, go to Tools - Rewrite GOP timecode
- Create Menus and Movies
- Drag video to movies then
- Frame Index chapters for each video
- Create chapters
Compile with:
- Alternative engine and be sure to select Force Audio for all movies, then begin the compile.
- Test with PowerDVD
- Burn to RW disc with Nero (Always test before final R burn, something I do)

done!

Made a beautify compilation of the JFK stuff from this past week.

This is the latest process I used with beta 9 and got perfect sync and chapters and the time display on DVD player was correct. I suppose you could Mux to VOB with Tytool but I DID NOT test this so I do not know if it works and its a few extra steps, which is another reason why I didn't bother with it.

bato
11-25-2003, 02:08 PM
This is the latest process I used with beta 9 and got perfect sync and chapters and the time display on DVD player was correct. I suppose you could Mux to VOB with Tytool but I DID NOT test this so I do not know if it works and its a few extra steps, which is another reason why I didn't bother with it. The extra steps to create a final VOB with TyTool (not VOB-mux) is when you find a sync error (in some broken mpg), most of the time you can create a good DVD with those steps.

I forgot to save my "bad" ty, so I have to find a new one where this process get a sync error, maybe blocking the dish for a second will be enough to corrupt the ty.

OT: DVDlab 1.3 will be released soon, when this happens the price will go up from 79 to 99.

EDIT: DVDlab release 1.3.1 @ 11/25

Xaa
11-27-2003, 06:30 AM
I'm posting here because I think it's a DVD lab issue. I got a new Apex (cheap) DVD player. It's model AD-2600. It plays DVD's made with Tytool just fine, but the ones I made in DVD lab do not play. They load and are recognized as DVD Video, the word "Play" comes on the unit and then goes to "Stop". If I press play or any other button I get the message "Playback Only"

My method has been.

Tytool 8r3>>Edit Keys>>>Mux to Mpg>>>Import to DVDLab>>rewrite Timecode>>AutoChapters>>Compiole using Relaxed engine.

This has worked on every other player I've tried and I know it's almost working here too. Has anyone encountered this before? Is there a workaround? I tried entering different title and chapter numbers etc..

TIA

Xaa

Xaa
11-27-2003, 09:17 AM
This is odd.

I burned using the DVDVideo setting on Nero6 instead of UDF (xbox Compatibility), and those play just fine in the AD-2600 so I'm ok.

What bugs me is why did the tytool made DVD's that were burned as UDF play but the DVDlab made ones burned as UDF would not?

I had several to test and that's how it shook out each time.

Anyway, I have a workaround.

Xaa

Homer S
12-08-2003, 03:56 PM
Anyone having trouble with DVDLab 1.3 final and AC3?

It was working fine as b9 under 98SE. I just updated to XP and 1.3 final. I can get the dvd to play fine with mpa audio but if I use BeSweet 1.4 to make AC3 using the command line below, it is silent on the compliled DVD on the PC and on a DVD burned with Nero 6 on the standalone DVD player.

-core( -input $INPUT -output $OUTPUT ) -azid( -n1 -c normal -L -3db --maximize ) -ssrc( --rate 48000 ) -ac3enc( -b 192 )

I have tried force audio and IFO-Editor-Audio...

Any suggestions (constructive preferred)?

Homer Out

bato
12-08-2003, 10:05 PM
Homer S, if you play the VOB is also silent in your PC?

Try demux the VOB generated by DVDlab and see if you get an audio file and if it plays ok.

I don't change audio to AC3, so maybe I can't help you but I'll try.

Homer S
12-13-2003, 08:32 AM
Bato,

Thanks for the assist... I went back to my Win 98 setup and everything worked fine. I tracked it to different versions of ac3enc.dll with BeSweet.

silent - v?, 14kb (downloaded as BS_ac3enc.zip)
working - v0.2, 44kb (I cannot remember where I got it)

I put the 0.2 version in the same folder, replacing the 14kb version and all is well in Win XP with DVDLab 1.3.1!

Now... on to creative menus. It is a good thing 6+ episodes fit on a DVD, the menus take that long to get looking nice.

Thanks Again,
Homer Out

snoopy
12-13-2003, 04:04 PM
Well this is dissapointing. Oscar had been promissing multi-vts support (one VOB for each show). However to accomplish this with his tool you have to 're-compile' from a previous disk. That is certainly NOT what I was thinking. IMHO, that is a rediculous way to implement multi-vts support. Hopefully he will correct it so that you can let each show have it's own VOB without having to go through the extra steps. Perhaps I am missing something. Does anyone else have any thoughts on this?

Homer S
12-13-2003, 06:28 PM
OFF-TOPIC NOTICE - This concerns DVD Lab but not specifically DTivo...

I have two scene selection menus, both nearly the same. Two rows of 4 pictures, each linked to a chapter, with a back and forward menu button at the bottom. For each, I selected the upper left corner picture as 1, the entry point.

The second menu behaves properly and returns to the picture I chose as 1. The first menu enters with another item selected, even though I selected the upper left as 1. The only other menu on the disk is the first one (also the title) that links to the misbehaving menu.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Homer Out

snoopy
12-30-2003, 10:43 AM
Is it possible to use the "main" multiplexing option in DVD Lab as opposed to the "alternative" relaxed multiplexing option? I get a GOP size error on most of the TyTool 8r4 mpg clips that I do this way. Does any of the FAE cutting stuff change the way this works or hold any promise toward fixing that? Not having to use the "relaxed" option would save about 2 hours to a project I think.

bato
12-30-2003, 10:13 PM
Snoopy, not right now, maybe if Oscar upgrade the "main" to handle Dtivo files, but I don't see any mention about it.

Michael M
03-13-2004, 02:25 PM
Having read through this thread I am wondering about several steps and the pro/cons

Specifically on the editing of unwanted material steps? So like others I have DTIVO - Tytool9 - DVDLab

Is the overall quality better to create Key Files and edit these - or can you just go straight to MPEG with Tytool and then use MPEG and then use Womble's MPEG video wizard?

I like MPEG Video wizard editor -- it is easier for me to get precise cuts -- but if the quality is better by editing with Tytools I will use that?

bato
03-14-2004, 02:08 PM
@Michael M, if you like Womble use that, for better results use the Patch Holes option in TyTool while creating your mpg, even then you can find a recording that will get sync problems with Womble (hard but possible), if any file you have sync problems then you can use TyTool FAE editing to create your final mpg.

I use TyTool to create the vob and IFOs, and use that with DVDlab, because I have always perfect sync with TyTool I prefer to use that and not take time checking the files over and over before burning.

I use mpeg2vcr with my dishplayer recordings because TyTool FAE editing is not for mpg files, only for ty.

snoopy
03-16-2004, 04:45 AM
has anyone seen this? attached screenshot below

VideoJoe
03-17-2004, 01:24 PM
The second menu behaves properly and returns to the picture I chose as 1. The first menu enters with another item selected, even though I selected the upper left as 1. The only other menu on the disk is the first one (also the title) that links to the misbehaving menu.

Try setting the Force-select Btn for each menu, DVDlab generates a script to remember the last button it used the last time that menu was visited. Switched menus will mis-behave if this option is not disabled.
The following is from the DVDlab Help page;

Force-Select Btn:
When a DVD player comes to a new Menu, it considers the first Button (1) on a Menu as it's starting place. After that Menu has been visited, the DVD player then remembers it's last Button position.

DVD-lab allows the Author to override this default by entering a number greater than zero in the Force-Select Btn value. Refer to the numbers at the top left of Buttons that display their order. These numbers are valid values for Force-Select Btn. Enter 4 into the Force-Select Btn value and the Menu will have Button number 4 highlighted when the DVD player encounters this Menu.

Force-Select Btn is used for Switched Menus, for example.

TomW
03-23-2004, 11:01 AM
Process:
Using TYTOOLS 9r12: Download ty, make key, edit key with at least one FAE
Mux to mpg using NEW Mux, Split
Import m2v and m2a into DVDLab?
It doesn't recognize the files. This system works well without the FAE but as soon as I add an FAE cut to the MPG, it doesn't recognize it. If I try the old Mux to mpg, I can import the mpg (without pre-splitting) into DVDLab and let DVDLab split as it imports, but I get no audio when I try to play the files before burning on PowerDVD5.
If I do not use FAE, everything works normally.

cullen_simpson
03-23-2004, 11:35 AM
I use TyTool to create the vob and IFOs, and use that with DVDlab, because I have always perfect sync with TyTool I prefer to use that and not take time checking the files over and over before burning.

I used to import the mpgs into DVDLab and let it split them. This worked great until tytool 9r11. I started getting very small synch problems, but they were annoying.

So, I tried creating the vob in tytool and importing to DVDLab. This works very well and the sync is nuts on.
However, the time counter is all over the place due to the commercial cuts.

So, Bato, do you use the "fix GOP timecode" feature of DVDLab on the vobs from tytool? Does that screw the file up or anything?

snoopy
03-23-2004, 11:58 AM
I used to import the mpgs into DVDLab and let it split them. This worked great until tytool 9r11. I started getting very small synch problems, but they were annoying.

So, I tried creating the vob in tytool and importing to DVDLab. This works very well and the sync is nuts on.
However, the time counter is all over the place due to the commercial cuts.

So, Bato, do you use the "fix GOP timecode" feature of DVDLab on the vobs from tytool? Does that screw the file up or anything?I am cutting commercials in TyTool. So far I have not found an way to get anything to process in DVD Lab without either messing up sync or having to use the "alternative" setting in DVD Lab. If someone really does have a solution with 9r12, please verify them. Thanks.

captain_video
03-23-2004, 12:10 PM
I'm still using TyTool9r8 and haven't had any of the problems I've seen crop up with the later versions (if it ain't broke...). All of the ty files edited with TyTool stay in perfect sync either when compiling the DVD in TyTool with menus or importing the mpegs into DVD-Lab.

The only sync issues I've encountered lately is when I've tried to re-edit some of my older DVDs created with SpruceUp. I find that if I re-edit them in TyTool (GAE editing only as the FAE function will crash TyTools if I use it with the older VOB files) and then mux them with at least one cut I can finish the edit process using MPEG2VCR and most of the time there are no synch problems. I think the key is to mux them with the Patch audio holes feature active. I've had some files that were problematic but trying various combinations of muxing with or without cut points and editing with MPEG2VCR I have been able to overcome nearly 100% of them.

My last compilation of the Seinfeld series was done with GAE editing and I had a lot of sync issues around the cut points with quite a few files. My original compilation had no cuts but I was able to use chapter points in SpruceUp to jump past the intro clips and bypass the commercials. Being able to use a combination of new recordings as well as older VOB files that had no cuts has allowed me to recompile the entire series with FAE cuts and no synch issues (so far). I'm importing the mpegs into DVD-Lab with intro audio and menus with bitmap images as buttons and the results are great!

bato
03-23-2004, 06:43 PM
So, Bato, do you use the "fix GOP timecode" feature of DVDLab on the vobs from tytool? Does that screw the file up or anything?
I'm way behind in my DVD production, but last time I used DVDlab and a final VOB from create IFO option in TyTool 'rewrite GOP timecode' option worked fine, it only changes the timecode in headers so it shouldn't mess anything else.

Now there is DVDlab 1.4beta2 Standard out with a new muxer, so it's time to test that also with TyTool's new muxer.

cullen_simpson
03-23-2004, 06:59 PM
I tried the rewrite and it all looked OK, but the times were still very screwy when I tried to play the directory in WinDVD.

I have not burned one yet to see if it affects the hardware player.

bato
03-23-2004, 09:07 PM
I tried the rewrite and it all looked OK, but the times were still very screwy when I tried to play the directory in WinDVD.

I have not burned one yet to see if it affects the hardware player.
If you rewrite GOP timecode, delete from assets window and reload in assets window, the time changed?

If I remember correctly my 1 hr shows changed from 56min down to 42min and the time was ok in powerdvd, even chapters created with DVDlab (no frame index) worked.

Are there chapters in your VOBs created with TyTool? DVDlab (until 1.4beta1) didn't like VOBs with chapters (more than 1 cell ID).

cullen_simpson
03-24-2004, 07:33 PM
It never occurred to me that I should delete it from the asset window and re-add it after doing the GOP fix.

I did not intentionally make chapters with tytool, but it looks like the default is every 5 minutes. There does nto appear to be a way to turn it off, so I guess I could set it for 999 minutes or something like that.

I went ahaed and burned the dvds and sure enough the time code in the window on my DVD player bounces around like Jot doing and Alvin and Chipmunks song, but the video playback is smooth and consistent.

I guess I should get the latest DVDLab, but as with tytool, as soon as I download it then a new version gets released.

Sbmocp
03-25-2004, 10:52 PM
I'm a little new to this, but I've just spent all day in DVD-Lab 1.3 trying to create a project and have some questions about DTivo files...

My files all needed to be transcoded, as I could only get 3 (!) 25-minute shows on one DVD. I used TMPGenc to reduce the bitrate down to ~ 5550. (I tried doing that in Nero 6, and it kept crashing...). Then I pulled them into DVDLab as assets, and began to assemble my project when the question came to me: "Hey! I receorded all these in Dolby Digital. Why is it necessary to split the files, then re-encode them in AC3?"

Part of the reason for the question is that the newest version of BeSweet refused to convert my audio to AC3 (exact error message escapes me, but it's something like "AC3enc.dll sound sucky so I disable it.") and it looks like DVDLab won't do that for me internally. What AC3 encoder can I use that's cheap/free?

snoopy
03-26-2004, 12:42 AM
I'm a little new to this, but I've just spent all day in DVD-Lab 1.3 trying to create a project and have some questions about DTivo files...What AC3 encoder can I use that's cheap/free?Try doom9.org for all the free dvd software. There are many things listed and it is definitely THE place to go for such things. The place for learning about DVDs in general is www.dvdrhelp.com . Make sure you have the update for DVD Lab. It's not easy to find, as it is hidden away on the history page 1.4b1 I believe.

bato
03-26-2004, 12:48 AM
Sbmocp, this must be a record! :eek: :

- if your player can handle 480x480 DVDs, then you don't need to reencode your files
- if you recorded in Dolby Digital, then it should be AC3 already, so don't need to transcode the audio
- if you use DVDlab 1.3, you can download the new beta2 standard, it supports the TMPGenc DVD author AC3 audio plug in. You just download the plug in (don't need TMPGenc's DVD author), install, register for $29 and DVDlab 1.4beta2 can find the plug in and give you options to change your audio.

Link (http://www.mediachance.com/files/dvdlab14b_2.exe) to DVDlab 1.4beta2 (Standard).
Link (http://www.mmbforums.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=4198) to info about the AC3 plug in (DVDlab's forum)
Link (http://www.pegasys-inc.com/en/product/tsp_ac3.html) to AC3 plug-in information
Link (http://www.pegasys-inc.com/en/shopping/tsp_ac3_d.html) to purchase the AC3 plug-in for $29
Link (http://www.pegasys-inc.com/en/download/tsp_ac3.html) to download the AC3 plug-in (you have to purchase it, there is no trial)

Sbmocp
03-26-2004, 08:42 AM
Try doom9.org for all the free dvd software. There are many things listed and it is definitely THE place to go for such things. The place for learning about DVDs in general is www.dvdrhelp.com . Make sure you have the update for DVD Lab. It's not easy to find, as it is hidden away on the history page 1.4b1 I believe.

Snoopy, thx for the pointers!

Sbmocp
03-26-2004, 08:52 AM
Sbmocp, this must be a record! :eek: :
Now some answers :p
- if your player can handle 480x480 DVDs, then you don't need to reencode your files
- if you recorded in Dolby Digital, then it should be AC3 already, so don't need to transcode the audio
- if you use DVDlab 1.3, you can download the new beta2 standard, it supports the TMPGenc DVD author AC3 audio plug in. You just download the plug in (don't need TMPGenc's DVD author), install, register for $29 and DVDlab 1.4beta2 can find the plug in and give you options to change your audio.

Link (http://www.mediachance.com/files/dvdlab14b_2.exe) to DVDlab 1.4beta2 (Standard).
Link (http://www.mmbforums.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=4198) to info about the AC3 plug in (DVDlab's forum)
Link (http://www.pegasys-inc.com/en/product/tsp_ac3.html) to AC3 plug-in information
Link (http://www.pegasys-inc.com/en/shopping/tsp_ac3_d.html) to purchase the AC3 plug-in for $29
Link (http://www.pegasys-inc.com/en/download/tsp_ac3.html) to download the AC3 plug-in (you have to purchase it, there is no trial)

Bato--

Thanks for that info. The DVD players I have won't accept the 480x480, and someone I know who's burned a few DVDs tells me it's good practice to transcode to 720x480 as that's more universally playable.

Doing the split/re-rencode of the audio seemed redundant, as I record everything on the DTivos in DD. I plan on buying DVD-Lab and TMPGEnc, as I like the combination so far. The only thing I hate is thare's no printable manual. I spent about 8 hours yesterday struggling through the creation of two menus before realizing that I could have saved one off early in the process as a template to create the other 14 I'll need to make. (grrrr....)
I'm trying to find a good workflow practice to make this process as painless as possible in the future.

Now, one last question--how does one skip doing any alteration of the audio? From what I gather, transferring a VOB into DVD-Lab will automatically demux it.

bato
03-26-2004, 09:38 AM
Bato--

Thanks for that info. The DVD players I have won't accept the 480x480, and someone I know who's burned a few DVDs tells me it's good practice to transcode to 720x480 as that's more universally playable..
Yes but is a lot of work, but if you have to then you have to :)
I read that for some people is better to 'downconvert' to half D1, that's 352x480, that is a perfect DVD resolution and the final output need less bitrate to give you the same apparent quality.

Doing the split/re-rencode of the audio seemed redundant, as I record everything on the DTivos in DD. I plan on buying DVD-Lab and TMPGEnc, as I like the combination so far. The only thing I hate is thare's no printable manual. I spent about 8 hours yesterday struggling through the creation of two menus before realizing that I could have saved one off early in the process as a template to create the other 14 I'll need to make. (grrrr....)
That's the problem with this kind of software, but once you figure it out you can process your next project a lot faster.

I'm trying to find a good workflow practice to make this process as painless as possible in the future.
Most guides here are for no reencodes, so as Snoopy said you can find more information in other forum.

Now, one last question--how does one skip doing any alteration of the audio? From what I gather, transferring a VOB into DVD-Lab will automatically demux it.
If you have a final VOB with complete NAV information (like the one TyTool creates after create IFOs menu option) you can drag that to DVDlab and tell to not demux, if DVDlab doesn't ask this is because your settings are changed from Always Ask to Demux always in your Project Properties settings.

Sbmocp
04-03-2004, 11:12 PM
bato--

Thanks for your help so far. After doing a lot more reading, I have a couple more questions if you don't mind.

- Upconverting from 480x480 to 720x480 is probably not what I really want after all. I gather that this conversion will result in a softer, less accurate picture from creating data that's not really there.

- Your suggestion of "downconverting" to 352x480, a "standard" DVD resolution, now makes more sense. However, I would be losing some resolution with this conversion, correct?

- I thought of using DVDPatcher at first, but a tutorial leads me to believe that patching the header only "fools" the authoring software. It doesn't change the file's resolution. So, if a player cannot show a 480x480 picture full-screen, and the author software codes the disc (and thus tells the player) the movie is really 352x480, would the player be fooled into expanding the picture? And, based on the difference in resolution, would the player expand the movie too large since the source material is really larger than 352?

Maybe I'm thinking too much...I just want to preserve the AC3 5.1 stream.

bato
04-04-2004, 12:11 AM
The patch is only to fool the software to create the DVD, the final resolution is not changed, so if your player can't handle the original resolution it can't handle the DVD created.

As for going to 720 or 352, make some tests, change the bitrate and keep what you say is better. I don't recode so I only post about it from others, I can't tell you what is better, for me better is not change the resolution and I work with 480x480, 544x480 and 640x480 non-DVD resolutions.

Sbmocp
04-04-2004, 09:32 AM
The patch is only to fool the software to create the DVD, the final resolution is not changed, so if your player can't handle the original resolution it can't handle the DVD created.

As for going to 720 or 352, make some tests, change the bitrate and keep what you say is better. I don't recode so I only post about it from others, I can't tell you what is better, for me better is not change the resolution and I work with 480x480, 544x480 and 640x480 non-DVD resolutions.

Understood--thanks, bato!

Sbmocp
04-04-2004, 09:33 AM

Understood--thanks, bato!

stizzymack
04-17-2004, 11:07 AM
I hope I am posting in the correct forum, if not please move and forgive me.
I have tried all the methods mentioned in this thread, but still get no audio....Is everyone using TyTools9r12 with DVD Lab 1.3? Or is there a different method for the tools I have, cause all I get is the video with silence :confused:

snoopy
04-18-2004, 06:30 AM
I hope I am posting in the correct forum, if not please move and forgive me.
I have tried all the methods mentioned in this thread, but still get no audio....Is everyone using TyTools9r12 with DVD Lab 1.3? Or is there a different method for the tools I have, cause all I get is the video with silence :confused:The latest versions (and there have been many) are posted as betas on the "history" page here (http://www.dvdlab.net/dvdlab/history.html).

bato
04-20-2004, 12:22 AM
Everyone that use DVDlab and want this software to be better, download ProBeta2 here (http://www.mediachance.com/dvdlab/historypro.html) and test the compile.

Oscar is going for only 1 muxer engine, and in my test it doesn't work with Directivo files.

cullen_simpson
04-20-2004, 08:40 PM
I could not get the 14beta 2 to work with my DirecTivo output either.

I created mpgs from tytool using the new tytool muxer.
Then I imported into DVDLab and did the split into M2a and M2v files.

Spent a ton of time on this. It was a kids show and I had 46 12 - 15 minute cartoons on it.

Then I tried to compile and the output was just useless.
The video froze and the audio would go for a while and then stop. This was with the alternate muxer under the latest stable release.

So, I downloaded the 1.4 latest beta and it starts to compile and I just get an error dialog. Sorry I can not remember the exact error and I am out of town now, but it was like a libc error.

This is definately not a step in the right direction.

snoopy
04-20-2004, 11:00 PM
I could not get the 14beta 2 to work with my DirecTivo output either.

I created mpgs from tytool using the new tytool muxer.
Then I imported into DVDLab and did the split into M2a and M2v files.

Spent a ton of time on this. It was a kids show and I had 46 12 - 15 minute cartoons on it.

Then I tried to compile and the output was just useless.
The video froze and the audio would go for a while and then stop. This was with the alternate muxer under the latest stable release.

So, I downloaded the 1.4 latest beta and it starts to compile and I just get an error dialog. Sorry I can not remember the exact error and I am out of town now, but it was like a libc error.

This is definately not a step in the right direction.This is dissapointing. I had really hoped that DVD Lab was on the road to creating something really awesome and fast.

Waruwaru
04-28-2004, 04:27 PM
I have been playing with TyTools 9r13c/DVDLab 1.3 for the past week and have a couple of questions/observations. First few tries, I have been using TyTools to generate the VOB (not using Edit IFO), demux on import to DVDLab, and fix GOP time code. The results were pretty good. Time counter in WinDVD works perfectly. Except the DVD compilation is v-e-r-y s-l-o-w because the main engine would always crash, so I had to pick the alternate engine. Does DVD-Lab generate a log file anywhere? When it crash, it would just disappear without any hints on why. Btw, I am using it on a Win2k machine. Does using DVDlab to demux Ty VOBs cause image quality degradations? I noticed there are a couple small places where some video frames are out of sync with audio. There are some blockiness too. Not sure if I am just seeing things from lack of sleep.

Just last night, I experimented with the TyTool-IFOEdit-generated VOBs in DVD-lab. No demuxing necessary and was able to use Main Engine. MUCH MUCH faster. The video/audio seems to be very spot on, but the timer in WinDVD does is not perfect (skipping seconds every now and then). But the speed is excellent, I think I might decide to live with this instead of demuxing/muxing.

While using DVDlab, sometimes I would get "Out of memory", or some part would fail (all the sudden, no background on menu), or crashes. Usually a quick reboot/re-log-in solves the issue. Sometimes it's happy with a slightly edited chapter file from TyTools, sometimes it would go into never never land looking for the non-existent timecode. The menu building system in DVD-lab is pretty slick, but currently, it's severly limited by my own artistic skill. :)

bato
04-28-2004, 11:24 PM
Waruwaru, glad you make it work, the problem we are facing is that Oscar (the guy behind DVDlab) is going to drop the alternantive multiplexer, this will not affect if you create IFOs with TyTool, but as today the new muxer is buggier than the old main one. I hope he fixes the muxer before next release (still beta).

Waruwaru
04-29-2004, 01:12 AM
Bato, thanks for the info (and the info on how to get DVDLab to work). I guess I will just stick with 1.3 until further notice. :) Are there anything that we can do to "pursuade" Oscar to keep the Tivo-friendly features in the new release?

bato
04-29-2004, 08:29 AM
Waruwaru, I can only think of going to this (http://www.mmbforums.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=5213) thread, upload a small mpg or mpa/mpv files (less than 20MB) to the site Oscar mention here (http://www.mmbforums.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=30287#30287) and post in the thread saying that you uploaded some files and the compile doesn't work.

Of course, first you have to download the latest PRO beta here (http://www.mediachance.com/dvdlab/historypro.html)

snoopy
04-29-2004, 09:02 AM
Waruwaru, I can only think of going to this (http://www.mmbforums.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=5213) thread, upload a small mpg or mpa/mpv files (less than 20MB) to the site Oscar mention here (http://www.mmbforums.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=30287#30287) and post in the thread saying that you uploaded some files and the compile doesn't work.

Of course, first you have to download the latest PRO beta here (http://www.mediachance.com/dvdlab/historypro.html)I just put in my two cents over there. Amen to you guys for trying hard with DVD Lab. It would be fantastic if that tool ever gets the job done.

captain_video
04-30-2004, 10:47 AM
I haven't had a chance to test the latest version of DVD-Lab but since version 1.3.1 is working fine for me I haven't felt the need to do so. The only issues I've encountered with DVD-Lab so far is that I had a problem getting it complete the compilation process on a set of Simpsons episodes. For some reason, no matter what I tried to do to get it to compile, it would only create the VOBs and stop before creating any IFO or BUP files. I tried importing both VOBs created from TyTool as well as TyTool mpegs that were demuxed in DVD-Lab (my usual process).

I finally gave up and trashed the project and started with a clean slate. The new project worked great the first time through. There must have been something that corrupted the template I was using that caused the compilation glitch. Other than that, DVD-Lab has always worked great for me. Not having to patch any headers is a major plus even if the process of demuxing and remuxing takes longer than I'd like. I may try the direct VOB approach again (the compilation process is way faster this way) but the process I'm currently using does the job so why mess with success.

Homer S
04-30-2004, 01:06 PM
Captain_Video,

Was this the behavior you saw? http://dealdatabase.com/forum/showpost.php?p=160920&postcount=7

Homer Out

captain_video
04-30-2004, 06:55 PM
I got the run-length error a couple of times. I think it occurred only when I tried importing TyTool VOBs directly into DVD-Lab and then tried to compile them. The post you referened seems to be similar to the problem I experienced but as I indicated it was probably a corrupted template. Once I scrapped it and started over it worked fine.

cullen_simpson
05-02-2004, 03:30 PM
I tried the tytool, create vob/make ifo/import vob into DVDLAB with the latest beta code.

The vobs import fine, but the project will not compile no matter what I do.

I uninstalled DVDLAB and then re-installed 1.3.1 and the whole process was beautiful. This is much better than the de-multiplex and alternative engine.

The only bummer is that if you have alot of episodes (I was doing 46 10 minute segments of a kids show), it takes a while in tytool to do the ifo step on all of them and you have to remember the name correspondence between the .vobs and the original shows.

Anyway, my 2 cents is stay away from the beta stuff until Oscar makes a new release.

bato
05-02-2004, 09:40 PM
Anyway, my 2 cents is stay away from the beta stuff until Oscar makes a new release.
We need to test the Betas so can tell Oscar to fix them. I want some of the newer features in the latest beta but a release with bugs for us will make me stick with 1.3.1

So keep 1.3.1, install the beta in other directory, test, report bugs/upload files for Oscar to fix the issues and keep using 1.3.1 for real DVD making.

Homer S
05-03-2004, 09:56 AM
If you drill down in that posting, it gets to something about backgrounds and buttons in menus. I stopped copying pics to the background, just overlay them, and things seem to be fine.

Homer Out

I got the run-length error a couple of times. I think it occurred only when I tried importing TyTool VOBs directly into DVD-Lab and then tried to compile them. The post you referened seems to be similar to the problem I experienced but as I indicated it was probably a corrupted template. Once I scrapped it and started over it worked fine.

Generiq
07-29-2004, 09:20 AM
I am using TyTool 9r14 and DVD Lab 1.3. I edit and create VOBs in TyTool with no IFOs (just VOB Mux) and I follow the same procedures as outlined here:

- Drag video and sound to movies then
- Create chapters
- Compile with flexible muxer

I've put 6 episodes on a DVD and they all work fine with the slider in PowerDVD except the last one. The slider does not work on the last video as though the GOP timestamps hadn't been fixed. I thought I may have had a funky file there, so I remade the DVD replacing that last one with a completely different episode. I fixed the GOP in DVD Lab and compiled again with the same result.

Any ideas? Thanks for any help!

eastwind
07-29-2004, 08:08 PM
I am using TyTool 9r14 and DVD Lab 1.3. I edit and create VOBs in TyTool with no IFOs (just VOB Mux) and I follow the same procedures as outlined here:

- Drag video and sound to movies then
- Create chapters
- Compile with flexible muxer

I've put 6 episodes on a DVD and they all work fine with the slider in PowerDVD except the last one. The slider does not work on the last video as though the GOP timestamps hadn't been fixed. I thought I may have had a funky file there, so I remade the DVD replacing that last one with a completely different episode. I fixed the GOP in DVD Lab and compiled again with the same result.

Any ideas? Thanks for any help!This may not be the idea you had in mind, but......

Just put five episodes on the DVD. :) :) :)
Or put a seventh epsiode on that is cut really short (so as to not take up too much room) and see if you can then navigate the sixth one.

ew

Generiq
07-29-2004, 08:46 PM
I'll take any suggestions, although I did actually try just two and had the same problem, so something is amiss. I've done a SpongeBob DVD for my daughter with 13 episodes and it plays great. I thought it was because I'm editing the IFO to make a PLAY ALL button, but I tested without doing that and had the same issue. Tonight I'm going to start from scratch again and see what happens.

captain_video
07-29-2004, 10:10 PM
Try creating mpegs instead of VOBs with TyTools and then import them into DVD-Lab. I do this with ty files from a DTivo all the time and I never bother to fix the timecode, although I'm sure it doesn't hurt to do it. I let DVD-Lab set up my chapter stops for me (Movie menu, Auto Chapters option) so I don't have to worry about the time code. I put a dozen episodes of The Simpsons on each DVD and they play fine with no problems, although I don't have them set up to play consecutively. I have a main menu so I can select each episode directly but I'm sure there's a way to have them run one after another in sequence.

Generiq
07-30-2004, 07:36 AM
It's actually very easy to make a Play All button to play the episodes consecutively. You make a Play All button linked to a blank menu and compile the DVD as usual; next you use IFOEdit to edit the IFO so the blank menu to set a register value (think of it as a 'Play All' flag) and jump to the first video from the blank menu. You then add an IF statement to the PGC command table for each video - if the "Play All" register is set, then go to next video; if not go to Root Menu. You do the same for each video except to the last video. On the last video you either clear the register so the DVD will jump back to root after playing or loop back to video 1 if you'd like it to continually loop.

Here's the How To instructions where I read about it - it works great!

Guide to Play All function in DVD Lab (http://dvdlab.net/maa_guides/PlayAll/PlayAll.html)

I've actually started getting a bit more fancy with my first menu too. I was just adding the theme from whatever show the DVD is as background music for the Root Menu. The problem was my wife didn't like how when the video ended the theme just kept looping and I can see her point. Now, when I am finished with my main menu I save just the menu from DVD Lab. Then I insert a blank menu and open the Menu I just saved (so I have 2 identical menus). I remove the audio from this second menu and add a 90 second timeout to the Root Menu with a forced link to the Silent Menu. The effect is the theme plays for 90 seconds and then seems to just stop - really you have jumped to a different menu.

captain_video
07-30-2004, 08:43 AM
You should be able to set the duration of the audio and/or video clip in your first menu in DVD-Lab. I've created several different series compilations on DVD and have made different types of intros for each one. Here are a few examples of some that I've done:

Babylon 5: Each season of B5 has a new lead-in video segment and opening credits. I created a short video clip for each season and use the one that corresponds to the first episode on that particular DVD. When the intro has finished playing it then switches to the main menu that has individual links to each episode.

Seinfeld: I open with a Seinfeld logo and the Seinfeld theme song playing in the background. When the theme song completes it takes me to the main menu.

The Simpsons: Again, the DVD begins with the opening sequence and credits for a typical Simpsons episode. Most of the syndicated episodes have a truncated intro so I use a full-length intro to start the disc. When it plays through it takes me to the main menu.

I also include a button that overlays the intro video and/or audio clip that will allow you to skip the intro and go right to the main menu. My main menus generally consist of a title splashscreen or still image taken from one of the shows' episodes. I like to capture still frames from each episode and use them with frames as my buttons on the main menu. I insert text underneath each button frame with the episode number and title.

Greubin
08-19-2004, 07:27 PM
Hey Guys,

Been using Tytool for about 6 mos now. Just discovered DVD lab from reading the forums here. I have the eval of the latest version 1.3.1 ( I think ).

Followed the basic routine, Mux'ing and importing the MUX'ed flies to DVD Lab. Created menu, and compiled. First couple times I received error messages about improper dvd format or something. Researched the forums here and made some adjustments to the compile settings. My last compile completed correctly, but I have no sound, and the video playback seems like it's in fast forward mode!!

Recap -I'm using TyTool 9r17 and DVD lab 1.3.1. I've tried MUX'ing using both MUX'ing options in TyTool ( which one should I use old format or new format? )

TiA :cool:

Greubin
08-19-2004, 09:55 PM
Also, I'm looking for the Dvd Lab 1.4 beta, the link on their site doesn't redirect to a download page...google search doesn't provide a mirror for downloading. :(

jcabello
10-10-2004, 06:27 PM
Every time I try to put DD files DVDLab tells me that the stream is encrypted. I try to make the DVD the long way and join the different VOBs but I lose all the chapters and I can't ff or rew.

Does someone know something about that.

kickme
10-12-2004, 03:54 PM
How to create a dvd with tytools9r17 and dvdlab 1.3.1.

Thanks to Bato for his help and this Dealdatabase forum with it's many skilled Tivo activists.

I use a tivo stand alone series 2 (TCD240080).

-Jerry

I hope you find this useful.

Jeremy517
02-14-2005, 05:57 PM
Every time I try to put DD files DVDLab tells me that the stream is encrypted.

Does someone know something about that.

1.32 seems to have fixed that problem.

cullen_simpson
02-14-2005, 08:23 PM
I typed a long message here and then realized that I had already said something similar, so I will shut up now.

rbautch
04-10-2005, 12:31 AM
I've been using DVD-Lab Pro 1.0 for awhile and have had good success making DVDs from .ty streams (using 9r18). The flexible muxer is gone, but 480x480 frame size is now a supported option. Editing and preparing video streams with VideoReDo with a maximum GOP size of 18 seems to have overcome problems others have posted here (http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?p=216489&highlight=DVD-Lab+Pro#post216489). The only glitch I've found is that DVD-Lab Pro seems to have trouble demuxing an MPEG if it has an AC3 audio stream. Outputting elementary streams from VideoReDo is a workaround for me. The PRO Version (http://www.mediachance.com/dvdlab/dvdlabpro.html) of DVD-Lab offers limited additional functionality over the original version for the casual user. You get multiple VTS support so you can mix AC3 and MPEG audio or standard/widescreen video on the same DVD. Also supports multiple audio streams and subtitles. Anyone else using DVD-Lab Pro with DTivo .ty streams? Anyone had success cleaning up .ty/MPEG streams for DVD-Lab with anything besides VideoReDo?

cullen_simpson
04-10-2005, 11:14 AM
Does the creation of .vob files/ then creating the IFO in tytool and then importing those .vobs into DVDLAB not work for you?

I have not had any problems with that method that I know of.

rbautch
04-10-2005, 09:34 PM
That method also works fine for me, I just prefer the editing interface of VideoReDo (actually I prefer Sony Vegas, but I get audio sych problems with it), and it also saves the step of making the ifo's in TyTool. Using VideoReDo also cleans up the MPEG, shortens GOP length, and makes it more compliant with the standard. I'm still testing various methods for inputting DTivo streams in DVD-Lab Pro, and I was just curious what other people are finding. For certain DVD's, my goal goal is strict compliance with the DVD standard, but so far my attempts to re-encode at 352x480 or 720x480 result in synch issues.

eastwind
04-13-2005, 02:58 PM
That method also works fine for me, I just prefer the editing interface of VideoReDo (actually I prefer Sony Vegas, but I get audio sych problems with it), and it also saves the step of making the ifo's in TyTool. Using VideoReDo also cleans up the MPEG, shortens GOP length, and makes it more compliant with the standard. I'm still testing various methods for inputting DTivo streams in DVD-Lab Pro, and I was just curious what other people are finding. For certain DVD's, my goal goal is strict compliance with the DVD standard, but so far my attempts to re-encode at 352x480 or 720x480 result in synch issues.
Do you get those sync issues if you process through TyTool first? Might not even need to make any cuts--just process through the VOB selection and import the VOB. I haven't done this, but I know at some point jdiner's muxer writes (or maybe it rewrites) the time codes for proper audio/video alignment.

ew

rbautch
04-13-2005, 03:46 PM
I didn't make any cuts at all on my test videos, just muxed ty to an MPEG with Tytool, then tried to resize to 352x480 in Vegas and Tmpgenc, both resulting in synch probs. Not sure if it makes a difffence, but I'll try your suggestion of muxing to Vobs instead Mpegs. Thanks.

update: Vobs from Tytool didn't work either. Tmpgenc choked on them and Vegas doesn't import Vobs. The partial file that Tmpgenc produced was still out of synch.

jcabello
12-23-2005, 09:37 PM
The following process has been a success for me:

Mux the .ty file from TyTools
Re-Encode the .mpg file with TMPENC Xpress using the NTSC DVD output setting, you can specify the video bitrate ( anything BELOW 2150mps is NOT recomended ).
Put it to DVD Lab Pro or DVD Lab and make the DVD.

Just my 2cents.

mohrpj01
12-23-2005, 10:01 PM
BTW: thanks for all the great advice in this thread...after much trial and error here is what I got to work:

1. download file with tytool (with audio hole fix checked)
2. mux file to mpeg-2 in tytool
3. import into Video-Redo, edit out commercials
4. Save as muxed mpeg-2 with following change: Max GOP headers: 18
5. Open in DVD-Lab, create DVD
6. Convert mp2 stream to PCM
7. Compile DVD
8. Burn

Worked for me

mohrpj01
12-29-2005, 07:49 PM
Actually, I now have a bit of a problem with my process.
I've been trying to burn multiple shows on one DVD, and have noticed that this process takes up a lot more space than it probably should. I can only fit 2 1 hour shows on a DVD. I'm guessing that changing the GOP headers and converting to PCM/WAV audio tracks is very inefficient for space. Is there a way around this? I haven't been able to get an mpa track to burn properly in DVD studio.

Thanks

mrdizzy
12-29-2005, 08:27 PM
Changing the GOP headers won't make that much of a difference, but PCM (uncompressed) audio will make an absolutely massive difference. That's what is causing it.

Is there any reason why you can't do the entire process in TyTool, using TyTool's editor and TyTool's conversion to say DD 48@384 (mode 7)?

mohrpj01
01-03-2006, 08:40 PM
For some reason, I cannot get DVD lab to compile my DVDs with MPA audio. It seemed like when I converted the audio files to PCM I was able to get a nice DVD, but unfortunately the size of the file became prohibitive.

Now, when trying to author a DVD with mpa audio, I get a "Serious error" that aborts the process. Here is my process:

1. Frame accurate editing in Video-Redo
2. Fixed GOP headers to max length 18
3. Imported muxed file into DVD lab
4. Demuxed file into elementary streams
5. Rewrote GOP headers
6. Compile

I would prefer not to do my FAE in Tytools as I have already invested a significant amount of time doing it in Video-Redo (but I will if I really have to)

Any help would be most appreciated.

jcabello
01-15-2006, 01:55 AM
As far as the audio I don't think that the conversion to mpa seems to cause the problem. There is a nice app called besweet that can convert almost any kind of sound, you should try it.

The process to make full compilant DVDs has changed, the steps the following:

1) Get the .ty
3) Make key file of the .ty
2) Edit the unwanted stuff ( comercials, begining and end of a movie ) with the GOP editor
3) Mux the .ty file ( with cuts )
4) Re-Encode the .mpg file to make it DVD compilant with Nero Vision Express with the DVD output setting, 2 pass VBR for the video and Dolby Digital for the audio. If you are using the DD 5.1 you must have at least 2500 kpbs for he video, otherwise using 2300kbps or better results in great quality.
5) Put it to DVD Lab Pro or DVD Lab and make the DVD.

This way you don't have to encode it two times ( one TyTools, two VideoReDo ), so you don't lose much quality, you end up with a DVD that will play in MOST of the DVD players.

cheer
01-15-2006, 12:56 PM
4) Re-Encode the .mpg file to make it DVD compilant with Nero Vision Express with the DVD output setting, 2 pass VBR for the video and Dolby Digital for the audio. If you are using the DD 5.1 you must have at least 2500 kpbs for he video, otherwise using 2300kbps or better results in great quality.
5) Put it to DVD Lab Pro or DVD Lab and make the DVD.

This way you don't have to encode it two times ( one TyTools, two VideoReDo ), so you don't lose much quality, you end up with a DVD that will play in MOST of the DVD players.
TyTool doesn't re-encode anything (other than a tiny amount at cut points).

You can take the mpg (or vob) that TyTool produces and pull it directly into DVD-Lab. Make sure to use the alternate muxing engine (so don't use DVD-Lab Pro). MOST DVD players will play this OK, but some (esp. older ones) will have issues due to the non-std. resolution.

Also, I generally (if I use VideoReDo) do NOT change the GOP lengths, as that means re-encoding (and thus quality loss) -- every GOP change has to be re-encoded.

One of my biggest complaints about DVD-Lab is (A) the error messages aren't very detailed, and (B) the stupid alert boxes auto-close after a few seconds. If there's a way to make it stop doing that, I haven't found it. So to morhpj01 I would say do another compile, and sit in front of the computer and watch it. When it encounters a serious error, does it tell you any more than that?

Narf54321
01-15-2006, 01:25 PM
One of my biggest complaints about DVD-Lab is (A) the error messages aren't very detailed, and (B) the stupid alert boxes auto-close after a few seconds. If there's a way to make it stop doing that, I haven't found it.

Not exactly a "fix", but you could try hitting the PrntScrn button for a screen capture then check the computer clipboard contents.

cheer
01-15-2006, 03:09 PM
Not exactly a "fix", but you could try hitting the PrntScrn button for a screen capture then check the computer clipboard contents.
Which doesn't work at all if I am not in front of the computer when it finishes -- which is the whole point. If it's going to take half an hour to compile, I'm going to go do other things.

bigcat400
01-15-2006, 07:29 PM
You can take the mpg (or vob) that TyTool produces and pull it directly into DVD-Lab.

Doesn't DVD Lab expect the video to be at DVD specs? I always get the stupid wrong "FPS" error message, so I need to reencode tytool's mpeg (with tmpenc for example) before loading it to DVDLab.

cheer
01-15-2006, 09:38 PM
Absolutely not. DVD-Lab warns that it's not DVD-compliant, but it will still use it and author the DVD. Use the "alternate" muxing option for best results.

bato
08-03-2006, 12:26 PM
FYI DVD-lab PRO is now at version 2.0, you can upgrade for $50.

BustedSony
08-03-2006, 08:20 PM
Doesn't DVD Lab expect the video to be at DVD specs? I always get the stupid wrong "FPS" error message, so I need to reencode tytool's mpeg (with tmpenc for example) before loading it to DVDLab.

"Wrong FPS" means just that, the wrong speed. It's probably set to a PAL project which is 25FPS whereas NTSC (Dtivo files) is 29.976. You do NOT have to reencode, ever.

Growler
10-05-2006, 05:23 AM
That method also works fine for me, I just prefer the editing interface of VideoReDo (actually I prefer Sony Vegas, but I get audio sych problems with it),

I would prefer to use Sony Vegas (studio) as I already own it. Has anyone solced the audio sync probs rbautch mentions here?

If not I guess I will go ahead and buy VideoReDo.