PDA

View Full Version : Trying to see the TIVO drive on OS X

cjhope
06-19-2003, 05:52 PM
I got an external DRIVE KIT at Fry's and put my TIVO drive in it... connected it up to my powerbook running OS X and it sees the drive but wants to initialize it all the time. I had been under the impression that it might be able to read the information. I want to try copy the MPEG files onto my computers harddrive to make a DVD of some shows.

Anyone got any wild ideas about this???

anything is welcome
Ciaran.

occitan
06-21-2003, 06:34 AM
There are two types of file system on a TiVo drive, neither of which are in a format recognised by OS X. All the TiVo linux system and support files are in a linux ext2 filesystem. There is an open source ext2 driver in alpha testing on source forge (search versiontracker for a link) that *might* be able to read those partitions on the disk. The audio, video, logos, tv guide etc are store on a seperate partition in a TiVo proprietary file system format called mfs (nothing to do with the original mfs under Mac OS 3 as far as I am aware!) I think it stands for media file system, and its designed to store and retrieve large blocks of media quickly. There are no mfs tools ported to OS X as far as I am aware, however that could be an interesting project if you are that way inclined.

However, as what you want to do is get the video off the TiVo and onto your computer, you don;t need to mount the drive. Purchase and install a tivonet ethernet interface from 9th tee. Then you can either install TiVoWeb and mfs stream module, or install the server part of tystudio. Then using TyStudio on your Mac, you can extract TiVo format MPG data (ty files) and convert them to almost standard mpg video and audio. Using DVD Studio Pro or ffmpegX you can then author DVDs....

mactivo
07-09-2004, 01:51 AM
There are no mfs tools ported to OS X as far as I am aware, however that could be an interesting project if you are that way inclined.

There are a handful of people working on porting MFSTools to OS X. Check out the latest update at MacTivo.com (http://www.mactivo.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=4). You'll find the link(s) and instructions for downloading the latest mac branch from sourceforge. Keep in mind as of this writing, the port is VERY new and has not been thoroughly tested by anyone. It's a step in the right direction.