PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know how to extract the shows to my computer to burn to DVD?

VittorioSLaPira
06-21-2003, 03:45 PM
My storage is about 89% full, and I'd rather have a lot of these shows on DVD to make it easier to view, rather than going through the UltimateTV (and to make them portable as well). I figure I could get a video capture card or device for my PC and export the info that way, though that would involve a digital to analog to digital conversion, which doesn't seem to make much sense. Is there a way to get the info transferred digititally? Is there a better way? Any suggestions would help. Thanks.

98Mountaineer
06-24-2003, 02:55 PM
Hello, my name is Don W. and I just would like to join you in your task.
I have two UTV's with 30 and 32 episodes on them. I have been accumulating hardware and software to archive shows and tapes to DVD's. I have found others who are able to copy the image file of the 3.5 OS, but as yet I cannot connect my UTV HD to my computer.
I have attempted disconnecting the UTV IDE cable while running, and connecting the PC IDE cable. My timing must be off, because it hurt my Windows XP in some way.
Hopefully someone will read these, and offer an answer.

VittorioSLaPira
06-24-2003, 04:08 PM
I'm thinking of a new Iomega DVD Burner that is only $139 at TigerDirect, but unsure what other hardware I might need. I expect some type of video capture device if I were to transfer the information that way, but I suppose that would mean hours of replaying plus converting it from digital to analog and back to digital, which I'd like to avoid.

98Mountaineer
06-25-2003, 11:21 PM
Help anyone? I have video capture card, but it's not so that I can play 30+ hours from the UTV's and lose quality. The task is to find out how to copy the My Shows files to the main PC hard drive.
I have the Sony 500ax DVD writer, and I haven't settled on a software yet.
This evening, I did get my Windows XP Device Manager to detect my UTV drive, but it is not listed under My Computer. Previously I evidently connected it locked. This time I disconnected it while a program from My Shows was paused.
The format of the information is apparently not directly accessible by Windows XP. Possibly a PC booted into Windows CE might be able to access it?

Simple but complicated:rolleyes:

lord_oberon
07-04-2003, 03:48 AM
Unfortunatly the files themselves for the moment can't be demuxed but the only way to capture it is with a very highend capture card to get an almost LOSSLESS capture I'm talking about a matrox RTX , digisuite or canopus raptor. Basically real expensive stuff.
I had a DIGISUITE card set at a studio I was working at and we did a capture prom DVCpro25 tape with S-video and compare it with the firewire dump. I would say it was 99% as good as the firewiredump.
I had a sweet idea but i never got to try it out. IF you would take a "GOOD" DV Cam and i Mean "GOOD", something with s-video and stereo input and record onto the Mini-DV tape and from thier dump via firewire edit out the CRAP(comercials) and encode and burn you should get something very aceptable. the only thing is your losing the digital audio unless you get a DV VTR that records digital audio, thier out thier but expensive (the DIGISUITE had spdif in and out for up to 4 channels).

Anyways letme know what you do and try (curious) :-)

kodakvnf
07-07-2003, 02:46 PM
I record off the UTV to my JVC SVHS deck at home. Take it to work and dump it to my Pinnacle DC2000 card to digitize it. Then to DVD. Pretty simple – straight forward process. Not cheap … but then again I ain’t payin’ for it. Results are acceptable.

I wish someone could come up with an add-on firewire port for the UTV. Something like 169 has done for the HDTV receivers. http://www.169time.com/ Got my EE looking at it but he is way bad backed up now … don’t know if he will ever get around to it. This doesn’t seem to be beyond the capabilities of the UTV … I just don’t have the brain power to design.

Any other EE’s wanna look into it … I have service manuals, data sheets, etc. for firewire devices. Serious inquires only !!!

hangfly
07-11-2003, 05:45 AM
Might not help, but I have a ATI All In Wonder and it works great capturing video where I can burn to DVD's. Granted this is the whole digital to analog to digital thing. But from what I ahve tried its quality isn't bad as long as you have plenty of HD space fro capture. You can get a good one for aroun 175.00 from pricewatch, adn the card is also good for games etc.