PDA

View Full Version : I just don't know how to fix my tivo

Chiun
06-22-2003, 05:52 AM
I finally got access to the image site and got 2 different images (3.2, and 4.0) for my Series 2 60 Tivo.

I've tried every possible combination of IDE settings. I tried in another computer. I tried reburning the tools CD on a different burner. I tried using the floppy boot tools. I've tried restoring to the original tivo drive, my new 120 gig drive. I even tried putting the image on a cd and trying to restore that way. I've tried every possible mfsrestore command too.

No matter what I do, I keep getting Decompression errors right at the very end of the process. Right when it hits 814 (out of 816), it spits out an error.

I could believe the original tivo is corrupt, but my brand new one too?

I'm at the end of my rope. I've been at this for THREE days now and I just don't know what else to do. I don't want to have to redownload the images(I don't want to be a bandwidth hog). But is that something to consider?

tinman
06-22-2003, 10:42 AM
Don't know if this helps but I had a similar problem (but NOT the same one you're describing) using a plexwriter CD-ROM/Writer. Since I had used the same CD before and it worked perfectly, I finally switched to a different CD Rom reader and all went well after that.

mrblack51
06-22-2003, 11:57 AM
Originally posted by Chiun
I finally got access to the image site and got 2 different images (3.2, and 4.0) for my Series 2 60 Tivo.

which site did you find with s2 images?

I'm at the end of my rope. I've been at this for THREE days now

three days is nothing. if that really is the limit to your frustration, this definitely isnt the hobby for you =)

TiVOBell
06-22-2003, 11:59 AM
No matter what I do, I keep getting Decompression errors right at the very end of the process. Right when it hits 814 (out of 816), it spits out an error.

I had the same thing.. some combinations of these worked for me:

1) Booting the MFStools CD with the nodma option. (This will be slower.)
2) The Tivo drive should be set as master.
3) Try switching cables. IE, if your Tivo disk is primary master, make it secondary master.

I would try these in order and separately, before doing all at once.

Good Luck!

TiVOBell
06-22-2003, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by mrblack51
which site did you find with s2 images?

I PM'd him gjustice's site from the other forum (with permission.)

Chiun
06-22-2003, 04:38 PM
Don't know if this helps but I had a similar problem (but NOT the same one you're describing) using a plexwriter CD-ROM/Writer. Since I had used the same CD before and it worked perfectly, I finally switched to a different CD Rom reader and all went well after that.
I've tried 3 different CD-Roms.

TIVOBell, all your suggests are no-go for me.

mrblack51
06-22-2003, 05:46 PM
are you using the mfstools 2.0 cd, or the johnny death cd mentioned in ingineer's instructions? if not, try that. otherwise, re-download, preferably with a good ftp client rather than using IE or another web browser.

Chiun
06-22-2003, 06:48 PM
mfs2tools 2.0 is what I"m using. I used a ftp client to d/l the image earlier today.

Where do I get the other tools you are speaking of?

alldeadhomiez
06-22-2003, 07:34 PM

I've tried every possible combination of IDE settings. I tried in another computer. I tried reburning the tools CD on a different burner. I tried using the floppy boot tools. I've tried restoring to the original tivo drive, my new 120 gig drive. I even tried putting the image on a cd and trying to restore that way. I've tried every possible mfsrestore command too.

I could believe the original tivo is corrupt, but my brand new one too?

I'm at the end of my rope. I've been at this for THREE days now and I just don't know what else to do. I don't want to have to redownload the images(I don't want to be a bandwidth hog). But is that something to consider?

A disturbing number of popular CD burning packages screw up the last few sectors of ISO images, which always seems to manifest itself by corrupting mfsbackup images. Have you tried several different tools? cdrecord under linux is probably a good choice. Nero 4.x is definitely a bad one.

Or, you can skip the middleman and just set yourself up a Linux box, so you can mfsrestore from an image on your filesystem straight to the tivo drive. This has the advantages that you will not need to fight your CD hardware, and you will have easy access to an OS that is far superior to Windows, especially for development and hacking purposes.

And mrblack is right, 3 days is nothing. These units will send you over the brink if you are easily frustrated.

tinman
06-23-2003, 12:17 AM
adh,
Can you just set up a regular install, say RedHat 8, and be able to connect to your TIVO drives (while they're in the PC, of course)? I thought you had to recompile the kernel as explained by MrB in this post: http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=23737

Most of us are not knowledgeable enough to modify the kernel. If you have some hints, please let us know. I would really like to do this.

Chiun
06-23-2003, 02:06 AM
I'm going to burn the mfstools 2.0 ISO one more time but I"m going to use my powerbook. I'm gonna have to buy some more disks if this keeps up.

Chiun
06-23-2003, 04:58 AM
Powerbook made boot disk didn't work either.

MFSTools 1.1 doesn't do it either.

alldeadhomiez
06-23-2003, 10:04 AM
Originally posted by tinman
adh,
Can you just set up a regular install, say RedHat 8, and be able to connect to your TIVO drives (while they're in the PC, of course)? I thought you had to recompile the kernel as explained by MrB in this post: http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=23737

Most of us are not knowledgeable enough to modify the kernel. If you have some hints, please let us know. I would really like to do this.

You need to recompile the kernel in order to directly access TiVo partitions. You do not need to modify it, aside from issuing a simple patch command. It's definitely not too much work to learn in one sitting, especially if you've gotten this far.

http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Kernel-HOWTO.html

IIRC you should not need to patch the kernel at all to run mfsrestore.

pcompact
06-24-2003, 08:17 AM
I got this address from the "other" forum

<URL removed at site owners request>

with the help of "google".

Most are post 3.1 images.

Best, pcompact

fixn278
09-25-2003, 06:19 PM
Originally posted by pcompact
I got this address from the "other" forum

Most are post 3.1 images.

Best, pcompact

The owner of that site requested the address be circulated via PM only so it is not overloaded. Please remove it from your post.