PDA

View Full Version : getting a shock from a series 2...

bobh
06-23-2003, 02:12 PM
My series 2 box is giving me a shock! (This is with the case closed). I hooked up a meter and the case is giving about 60V AC between the case and a ground.

Has anyone else seen this before? I'm guessing it's a bad power supply.

Does anyone know of a source for s2 power supplies? ...or some tips on fixing this one, please let me know.

Thanks,
Bob

mrblack51
06-23-2003, 08:02 PM
im not an uber EE expert, but i know that the xbox does the same thing if you go from the metal case to ground

Dr. Phil
06-23-2003, 08:06 PM
Originally posted by bobh
My series 2 box is giving me a shock! (This is with the case closed). I hooked up a meter and the case is giving about 60V AC between the case and a ground.

Has anyone else seen this before? I'm guessing it's a bad power supply.

Does anyone know of a source for s2 power supplies? ...or some tips on fixing this one, please let me know.

Thanks,
Bob

I measured the big silver heatsink once and it was at about 80VAC. Is there anything near it that might be touching when the case is closed?

Have you disconnected everything except the power cord to make sure the voltage is not coming from a TV, amplifier, computer (!), etc.?

mylo
07-01-2003, 03:45 PM
Why is the heatsink powered? That's bitten me a few times when screwing down my drive in my HDVR2

Dr. Phil
07-03-2003, 07:12 PM
Originally posted by mylo
Why is the heatsink powered? That's bitten me a few times when screwing down my drive in my HDVR2

Most devices with a heatsink attach one of the component's leads to the sink for various reasons. Often these leads are connected to ground, but apparently in this case the lead in question is connected to a source of 80VAC.