PDA

View Full Version : WD 120GB, which one?

Edocecrous
06-29-2003, 11:03 AM
Hi!

I read it here:
http://www.public.asu.edu/~rwultsch/utv.html

that these drives will work with UTV:

80 or 100 GIG Western Digital
120 gig Western Digital 5400
some_ 120 GB Western Digitals 7200_ (only those with a LBA count of 234441648 wil work)
120GB Maxtor 7200 6y120L0_
The UTV will ony support a max of 137 gigs so If you buy anything more you are wasting your money.

I can choose from these 2:
-WD 120GB 7200RPM EIDE HARD DRIVE MODEL # WD1200BB
-WD "SPECIAL EDITION" 120GB 7200RPM EIDE HARD DRIVE MODEL # WD1200JB

Anyone can assist me on which one to buy?
I don't realy want to spend a $100 on a drive which is not compatible with UTV.

Please help!

ps.:It would be a good thing to have a list with compatible drives, ones that where tried and worked...

satkid00
07-06-2003, 04:31 PM
the WD 120GB 7200RPM EIDE HARD DRIVE MODEL # WD1200BB works fine. i used it for an upgrade and it worked great. however i am now trying to use it for something else and it is locked. this has nothing to do with the hard drive, it is something the utv does. that is something you might want to keep in mind.

David Bought
07-08-2003, 12:21 AM
Either the JB or the BB will work. Buy whichever one is cheaper as typically PVR performance is not improved with an 8MB buffer vs a 2MB buffer.

The instructions for unlocking your UTV drive are well-known and well-documented.

Edocecrous
07-08-2003, 09:51 AM
I bought the WD1200BB, it will arrive soon. Thanks for the info...

Edo

mtbdave1
08-11-2003, 10:45 AM
The Western Digital WD800BBRTL will NOT work (80Gb)

just my 2 cents..

mtbdave

kgibbons
09-01-2003, 02:50 AM
Originally posted by David Bought
Either the JB or the BB will work. Buy whichever one is cheaper as typically PVR performance is not improved with an 8MB buffer vs a 2MB buffer.

The instructions for unlocking your UTV drive are well-known and well-documented.

Are you 100% certain that the 1200JB drive will work? The reason I ask, is because I'm attempting to use one on my UTV, and I'm encounting some problems.

Another board member had the same problem with a drive he was trying to use, and found out the drive wasn't compatible after all. Here's the link to his post:
http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=26035

Scroll down to mtbdave1's post on this thread.

This is the exact same problem I'm having right now, but I could have fudged things up when overlaying the v3.5 image on my drive.

The one thing that wasn't really clearly explained was the drive preparation. Basically, I had a stock WD 1200JB drive with no partitions. So for me to be able to use WinHex on it, Windows had to be able to see the drive... so I dropped a full-size FAT32 partition on the drive. Full-size meaning I let it use all available space on the drive as one partition.

I then fired up Windows, and there was my drive.. but at that moment it wasn't formatted. So I formatted it, and then followed the instructions to apply the image with WinHex. Once this was completed, I installed back in my UTV, and started getting the dreaded "connecting to WebTV" crap that won't go away.

So like I said, I may have fudged things up by doing the partitioning and formatting first... but I didn't see any other way since WinHex is a windows program.

Any ideas/suggestions?

wad
09-15-2003, 10:07 PM
I was wondering if I could replace my current 40 gb drive with a Maxtor 40 gb diamond max plus 6E040L0(can't find out on maxtors site yet if this one supports locking). Is there something special about unformated western digitals that make them work and not other manufacturers aside form the locking abilities that obviously must be avaliable in any drive you use?

My current drive is getting really noisy, wanted to do this before a crash is imminent.

Thanks

kgibbons
09-15-2003, 11:11 PM
Originally posted by wad
I was wondering if I could replace my current 40 gb drive with a Maxtor 40 gb diamond max plus 6E040L0(can't find out on maxtors site yet if this one supports locking). Is there something special about unformated western digitals that make them work and not other manufacturers aside form the locking abilities that obviously must be avaliable in any drive you use?

My current drive is getting really noisy, wanted to do this before a crash is imminent.

Thanks

Hey Wad,

I don't think it's anything special about the WD 120gig drives other than they're at the "sweet spot" in terms of price now. With bigger and bigger drives always coming out, the 120gig drives have dropped down to the point where they're the best bang for the buck.

Actually, Circuit City just last week was having a rebate deal on the WD 1200JB drive. It was $159, with $80 worth of mail-in rebates. I believe some guys even made them price match Fry's down to $120, so there was a chance of getting one of these drives as low as $40. I picked one up for the $159 price.. unfortunately I don't have a Fry's nearby, so I couldn't do the price match :( But even still at $80 that's a good deal.

I know the locking aspect of the drive is paramount with the way UTV works. So I think aside from that, "most" drives should work as long as they do have that ability. The only real limit I've heard aside from the locking is that the unit will only recognize drives as large as 137gb.

Let us know how you make out with your unit...

wad
09-16-2003, 02:11 PM
Well I found out that the smaller maxtors will not work. They are not lockable. I just bought a Western digital 120bj and I will try it tonight.

Let you know my results.

Thanks

wad
09-18-2003, 03:20 AM
Please help!

I got hthe western digital 1200bj and I zeroed it in winhex and then wrote the image to the drive. Placed drive in utv and voila!! Dialing for an update!! NOOOOOOO!

Anyhow put the drive back into my pc and now it says hard drive 1 failure, the bios recognises it but it fails when I get past the bios, is this becasue it now needs to be unlocked?

If so should I use the unlocker?

Then what are my steps to write the 3.7 image to this drive?

I am starting to think that the drive is a now bad as even if it was locked it shouldn't fail should it?

Any advice would be appreciated.

kgibbons
09-18-2003, 04:30 AM
Originally posted by wad
Please help!

I got hthe western digital 1200bj and I zeroed it in winhex and then wrote the image to the drive. Placed drive in utv and voila!! Dialing for an update!! NOOOOOOO!

Anyhow put the drive back into my pc and now it says hard drive 1 failure, the bios recognises it but it fails when I get past the bios, is this becasue it now needs to be unlocked?

If so should I use the unlocker?

Then what are my steps to write the 3.7 image to this drive?

I am starting to think that the drive is a now bad as even if it was locked it shouldn't fail should it?

Any advice would be appreciated.

I agonized over this same situation a few weeks back -- do a search and you can read my previous posts.

First off, are you booting into Windows with the 120gb drive as a slave, and is the drive completely unformatted with zero's written to the drive? If it just came out of the box, then that will absolutely be the case... but if you were like me, you may have thought too much into things and stuck a partition on the drive :)

Like a dumbass, I said to myself "hmmm... how in the hell can I write to a drive in Windows if windows can't even see it??" So I partitioned and formatted it before I tried the Winhex stuff. Well, that was the wrong move --- the drive has to be completely unformatted and clean as a whistle.

So here's what to do... use the unlocker utility from this thread:
http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=25827

This utility needs to be run in pure DOS, not a dos window. So create a boot disk, and copy the small executable file from the zip onto the boot disk. Then fire up the PC with your 120gb drive connected as slave still, and let it boot up from the floppy.

When you get to your a:\ prompt, launch the utility. You will then be presented with 4 numbers I believe -- which represent the physical disks you have connected to your system. Make sure to choose the correct disk (WD 1200JB in your case), and hit enter. You will then get a series of "..............." for probably a good hour or so. Let it completely finish its job -- when it's done, it will tell you it's done.

One thing... *sometimes this program ends prematurely. It happened to me the first time I used it. So if it stops working and tells you it's done after like only a few minutes, it did NOT wipe your drive clean. If that happens, reboot to floppy and run it again. For a 120gb drive it will take a good amount of time -- and will tell you when it's complete.

This utility unlocks your drive AND writes zero's to the drive -- so it's sparkling clean and ready for your image at that point. So when it's done, pop the floppy out of your drive, and reboot the PC.

Now launch Winhex...

I believe Winhex has a little "wizard" type of startup, where I usually just hit "cancel". This will then take you to the main screen of Winhex which is where you want to be.

While at the main screen, choose TOOLS>CLONE DISK from the top menu bar.

In source file, select read sectors from image file and browse to the location of your saved image file. Then of course choose the file :) You will also see a button for destination drive -- click this button and you will be able to choose where you want the image written to.

Here is where you choose the fixed disk that corresponds to your WD1200JB. In my case, it was fixed disk (b) -- being that I only had two hard drives in the system. Now remember, this drive doesn't have any windows partitions or formatting, so it's NOT going to show up as a regular drive letter --- it will only show up as a fixed disk. So choose the correct drive.

Once you've chosen your destination, make sure to enter 631811 as the start sector, and make sure you DO click the checkbox for "copy entire source".

You're now good to go... click on OK at the bottom of this window, and you'll get a couple prompts warning you about a backup and crap like that, just keep following the prompts to let Winhex do its work.

Once you get through the two or three safety prompts, Winhex will start to write the image to your 1200JB drive. It literally only takes like 30 seconds and it's done. When it's done, it will spit you out back at the main hex screen and you'll be looking at the raw hex data on your drive at location 13480600

At this point, you can close out of Winhex, and power down your PC. Then remove the WD1200JB from the system -- and make sure to set the jumper to MASTER. Or with WD drives, you can remove the jumper altogether and this will set it as master also.

Then pop this baby back into your UTV, and fire her up. You should come right up to the "Welcome to UTV" screen. If you get the dialout screen again, you've done something wrong. But if you follow the steps above, you absolutely shouldn't get the dialout screen.

Keep us updated...

Maxr
12-31-2003, 12:52 PM
Thanks for the detailed post Kgibbons. I am new here and this is exactly what I have been looking for: A step-by-step on how to setup a new hard disk drive. I have been reading other threads which talk about removing the IDE ribbon cable and such and wasn't clear. Your post seems clear enough and puts it all together, although I don't know if I have to play with the IDE cable. (I hope not.)

I will attempt this upgrade following your instructions. Will let you know next year when I will have succeeded. Wish me luck! ;)

And Happy New Year!

Maxr
12-31-2003, 01:17 PM
Question:
If I have a brand new out-of-the-box WD 120GB JB drive, do I still need to unlock and zero it? I assume that it is "zero"ed since I have not installed it anywhere but I will still need to unlock it using the same utility, is that correct? The WD drives come as locked?

kgibbons
12-31-2003, 02:38 PM
Question:
If I have a brand new out-of-the-box WD 120GB JB drive, do I still need to unlock and zero it? I assume that it is "zero"ed since I have not installed it anywhere but I will still need to unlock it using the same utility, is that correct? The WD drives come as locked?

No, you don't need to do anything to the drive when you get it... leave the drive as stock (unpartitioned and unformatted), and follow the steps above and you should be golden :)

Maxr
12-31-2003, 04:09 PM
No, you don't need to do anything to the drive when you get it... leave the drive as stock (unpartitioned and unformatted), and follow the steps above and you should be golden :)

Ok, so basically, I just skip to where the WinHex starts. Plug in the new drive as primary slave (to my primary master HDD), run winhex and copy utv image at the specified sector, etc. Is that correct?

kgibbons
12-31-2003, 04:28 PM
Ok, so basically, I just skip to where the WinHex starts. Plug in the new drive as primary slave (to my primary master HDD), run winhex and copy utv image at the specified sector, etc. Is that correct?

Basically, I just followed the readme that came included with the image file. Here's a copy of the readme:

Thanks to Huculito on dsschat for the post.

UTV HDD SWAP, Via Computer or How To Save Your rev 3.5 for Future Use

This is not my work, or my Findings.. i Was helped and Allowed to post this info for all of you that need this help, I can help you with your questions.. since i already did this and it worked great

NOTE.. YOU NEED TO HAVE COMPUTER HARDWARE SKILL'S TO TRY THIS..OR ELSE YOU COULD DAMAGE YOUR COMPUTER OR UTV

YOU NEED A WORKING (NOT EVALUATION) COPY OF WINHEX

While the utv is running, unplug the ide cable, (leave power applied)boot your computer hit pause before it detects ide drives plug ide cable from computer into drive and hit enter the drive should now be detected.
run winhex, from tools select physical disk(start center on some versions,then select the physical disk that is your utv), from position goto offset 13480600 look at 13480624-7 in the display it should read FSNo
right click the first byte (13480600)select begining of block now from postition tab goto offset 154805ff right click, select end of block. from edit tab select copy all into new file and name it on your local drive.
(if FSNo is at 15480624 instead of 13480624 then select 15480600-174805ff and do the same)

Now that you have the file you can disconnect the drive and hook up your new drive. on the new drive select offset 0 as begining of block and 178c2fff as end of block. From edit tab select fill file,select first option and type in 00 for hex value (if the drive is already zeros you can skip this step)
after it zeros that chunk goto tools then disk tools then clone disk
on source file select read sectors from image file and select the file you saved from before. select your destination drive and start sector will be 631811 (this is lba 13480600 or sector 09a403 in hex...which is sector 631811 in decimal)(make sure you select copy entire source) and click ok it will write the sectors and you and the drive should be showing the data starting
at 13480600 now disconnect the drive install it in the utv plugin the power cord utv should now come up to the welcome to utv screen.

note this new hdd will no longer work on the computer unless you do the same procedure and erase all the content (i think i havent tried yet)

Hopes this helps many as it did helped me..
thanks to the finder of this info
DONT TRY THIS IF YOU ARE AFRAID OF RUINING YOUR COMPUTER OR UTV
IT WORKED GREAT FOR ME AND DID IT TWICE

GOOD LUCK

Just skip the whole top section, and jump down to "if the drive is already zeros you can skip this step"

If you follow from that point on, you should be fine. And yes, skip the Wizard that pops up when you first start WinHex -- then you can choose your commands manually from the menu bar above.

If you have a factory blank drive and a good copy of the 3.5 image, this whole process should literally take you about 5minutes total.

Post back with your progress...

Maxr
12-31-2003, 04:41 PM
Basically, I just followed the readme that came included with the image file. Here's a copy of the readme:

Just skip the whole top section, and jump down to "if the drive is already zeros you can skip this step"

If you follow from that point on, you should be fine. And yes, skip the Wizard that pops up when you first start WinHex -- then you can choose your commands manually from the menu bar above.

If you have a factory blank drive and a good copy of the 3.5 image, this whole process should literally take you about 5minutes total.

Post back with your progress...

Yes, I've read herculito's post also. I guess the thing for me is that I thought I had to zero it but we're working on the assumption that the new drive comes zeroed/blank. (I hope you are correct.) Ok. Going to hibernate and attempt it now. :)

BTW, thanks for the quick replies.

kgibbons
12-31-2003, 06:22 PM
Yes, I've read herculito's post also. I guess the thing for me is that I thought I had to zero it but we're working on the assumption that the new drive comes zeroed/blank. (I hope you are correct.) Ok. Going to hibernate and attempt it now. :)

BTW, thanks for the quick replies.

Trust me... all new drives come straight from the factory zero'd out :)

Maxr
12-31-2003, 09:35 PM
Trust me... all new drives come straight from the factory zero'd out :)
Ugh. I did everything as instructed but when I put the hdd back into the receiver and power it up, all I get is WebTV dial out.
Obviously something is not right. Can anyone pinpoint it for me?

kgibbons
01-01-2004, 03:59 AM
Ugh. I did everything as instructed but when I put the hdd back into the receiver and power it up, all I get is WebTV dial out.
Obviously something is not right. Can anyone pinpoint it for me?

In your original post you were confused as to whether or not to "lock" the drive, so the only thing I can possibly think of is that maybe you attempted something (such as fdisk) to the drive before you tried the clone process.

The herculito instructions work perfectly, as I've done it now to 2 HD's.... but I must stress that this must be done to a completely zero'd out drive. So if you've done anything to the drive prior to the steps in WinHex, then you've screwed it up and need to zero it out again.

If it's unlocked, you can use WinHex itself to zero out the drive... or you can use the WD diagnostics to write zero's to the drive. You can get the WD diagnostics (dlgdiag.exe) from the Western Digital site.

Also, post back the EXACT steps you performed and the exact drive preparation you did as well so I can see where the problem seems to come in.

Maxr
01-02-2004, 03:08 AM
In your original post you were confused as to whether or not to "lock" the drive, so the only thing I can possibly think of is that maybe you attempted something (such as fdisk) to the drive before you tried the clone process.

The herculito instructions work perfectly, as I've done it now to 2 HD's.... but I must stress that this must be done to a completely zero'd out drive. So if you've done anything to the drive prior to the steps in WinHex, then you've screwed it up and need to zero it out again.

If it's unlocked, you can use WinHex itself to zero out the drive... or you can use the WD diagnostics to write zero's to the drive. You can get the WD diagnostics (dlgdiag.exe) from the Western Digital site.

Also, post back the EXACT steps you performed and the exact drive preparation you did as well so I can see where the problem seems to come in.
On the contrary, I think you are confused. I never said I was confused on whether or not to lock the drive. Rather, I wanted to make sure it was UNlocked and wasn't sure in what condition the blank drive was. After you assured me that it was zero'd and did not need to be unlocked, why would I make it harder for myself by doing anything else to it other than the task of cloning the image? The only person to have formatted the drive was you, not me. You documented that mistake well enough for everyone not to repeat. I simply cloned the image to a drive that I took right out of the box. When I tried, I realized I had an evaluation version of winhex. After locating a working version, I followed the steps but obviously something was amiss since it didn't work.

Anyhow, your help is appreciated. But to pull something out of thin air is nonsensical.

The question now is whether the drive is locked or not after the attempted cloning of the image. I guess I will have to explore and found out.

kgibbons
01-02-2004, 03:39 AM
On the contrary, I think you are confused. I never said I was confused on whether or not to lock the drive. Rather, I wanted to make sure it was UNlocked and wasn't sure in what condition the blank drive was. After you assured me that it was zero'd and did not need to be unlocked, why would I make it harder for myself by doing anything else to it other than the task of cloning the image? The only person to have formatted the drive was you, not me. You documented that mistake well enough for everyone not to repeat.

Well my friend, after a response like that I can see why the UTV experts aren't rushing to this thread to help you out. Good luck with the rest of your upgrade.

saycbone
01-08-2004, 12:56 AM
will this one work? I posted on amother forum and they suggested that it "should/might" work and that I should hold off upgrading my drive..thanks!!

Western Digital 7200RPM 120GB Internal Hard Drive
Brand/Model: WDC WD1200JBRTL

kgibbons
01-08-2004, 04:35 AM
will this one work? I posted on amother forum and they suggested that it "should/might" work and that I should hold off upgrading my drive..thanks!!

Western Digital 7200RPM 120GB Internal Hard Drive
Brand/Model: WDC WD1200JBRTL

The WD1200JB drive works just fine -- this is the drive I've used for both of my UTV machines. And both Circuit City and Office Max have this drive on rebate special this week -- $129, but with $70 worth of rebates, taking it down to only $59 after rebates :)

t_nehpets
01-09-2004, 08:02 AM
The WD1200JB drive works just fine -- this is the drive I've used for both of my UTV machines. And both Circuit City and Office Max have this drive on rebate special this week -- $129, but with $70 worth of rebates, taking it down to only $59 after rebates :)

Hi all,

I've picked up a WD1200JB as well and am planning to install it tonight. I'll use WinHex to "apply" the UTV v3.5 image I have, but I'm curious to know if there's a way to keep my existing shows?

Can I copy the image of my existing UTV hard drive onto the new one? If so, can anyone shed light on how to do this?
---
Steve

PS: I've read the FAQ posted here about copying (I think) just the software from my UTV hard disk, but am not sure if I can grab all of the shows as well.

cyberbob25
01-10-2004, 12:22 AM
From what I've read, you can make an image of all of your shows, but it's pointless. When you upgrade your drive, the OS creates it's partitions to fill the disk, and if you apply an image of your current disk, you will only be able to use the old amount of space (ie, if upgrading from an original 40GB drive, you will only have 40GB of recording space).

saycbone
01-24-2004, 07:39 PM
So will an 80gb WD drive work for utv uopgrade? In this post the original link says yes, a few posts down from that member says the JB won't. If you have knowledge of or success please let me know..tomorrow Office Max has 80gb for 20 bucks after rebates..thanks!!

CBONE

nonothing
01-26-2004, 01:07 AM
So if I have a brand new HD all I do is power down my computer connect the HD as a slave and reboot then run Winhex and write 3.5 image to HD? Do I have to do a new hardware search before starting Winhex and how do I know if I have a evaluation version of winhex or a full version? Also to run mhd3 with winXP pro what button is the pause button?

cyberbob25
01-26-2004, 11:21 AM
It should work if you hook up the new drive as slave, though as secondary master is even better.

Boot into windows. Goto your control panel->administrative tools->computer management. Click on disk management. You should see your new hard drive in the list at the bottom right. If not, you will most likely at this point get a wizard asking you to initialize the drive. Just follow the prompts to initialize the drive, DO NOT format it. Start Winhex and copy the OS over to the drive. One thing to add here is to be sure to unplug the hard drive BEFORE shutting down Windows, as Windows will add it's signature to the drive.

As for whether or not you have a full or evaluation copy of winhex, did you pay for it? If not, then you either have an evaluation copy, or you have applied a crack to it to make it work. If you didn't install a crack for it, then you more than likely have the eval version.

The pause button is on your keyboard. It is located in the section of your keyboard where you find the insert, delete, page up, and page down buttons, and is labeled "pause/break". However, since you are using a fresh hard drive, there is no need to do this. You only need to pause the boot up when using the hot-swap method with an already locked drive.

Any more questions, feel free to ask.

fullautom4gery
11-14-2004, 10:05 PM
It appears that any WD drive with a 75 in the model# (ex:WD1200JB-75CRA0) will not lock so they are not compatible. Apparently the rest will.

dan0
11-08-2006, 01:56 PM
I know most of us have already upgraded our UTV's to 120+ gig hard drives
but what about when those drives fail?
any particular new models to look for?

dan0
08-03-2007, 09:02 PM
well? anyone?