PDA

View Full Version : Music channels support

paully21
05-19-2003, 06:36 PM
Okay, I've got a concert that I recorded and I want to take the individual songs and cut them into mp3s.

So, I extracted the video using tytools. When i try to extract the audio in Premiere it jumps every 5 seconds or so.

Anyone do this and if so how? What tools do I need?

Thanks!

Paully

Martlet
05-20-2003, 02:40 AM
Simple.

Convert ty stream to elemental streams.

Toss the video stream.

Rename the extension from m2a to mp3.

Open in iTunes, and convert to MP3 (AAC, etc) from the Advanced menu.

Open converted file in Quicktime Player to chop into individual songs.

paully21
05-20-2003, 08:54 AM
I suppose I should have stipulated that I needed an Windows-based solution.

Also, is there a special way I should be exporting the video using tytools. I don't know what a lot of the settings do. I'm currently using multiplex mode.

Then once I get the output from tytools what (and how) should I then use that file to get the audio stream. Wav file would be the preference.

Thanks!

Paully

captain_video
05-20-2003, 09:43 AM
Use either tystream or tysplit mode. Tystream extracts the raw ty files and you can split them later using the Parse file button in TyTools or use the standalone tydemux utility to do the same thing. This will give you m2v (video) and m2a (audio) files. Tysplit mode extracts and splits on the fly. If you use multiplex mode then you'll need to demux the file in TMPGEnc to get your audio and video files. There are lots of free tools on the web for converting the audio file to a wav file. The audio is mpeg layer II so look for a utility that can convert this to whatever format you desire.

paully21
05-20-2003, 11:08 AM
Will do!

Martlet
05-20-2003, 12:32 PM
No reason to come out of the closet, I knew you were one of those lost sheep when you said you were using Tytool.

Quicktime is available for windows, and Apple's coming out with a windows version of iTunes... it'll ship with your iPod, or you can download it free.

So my directions will (eventually) work for you, even if you insist on using Gate's Folly.

AlphaWolf
05-20-2003, 12:37 PM
The simplest way is to use tystudio to extract elementary streams, then take the audio stream and convert it strait to MP3 using winamp.

Switch17
05-21-2003, 01:40 PM
I've been away from the scene a little bit, but just would like to make sure that this can only be done on pure 'video' type shows correct?

That is, you still can't extract just the audio only from a music channel. I do remember that it is possible to actually record a music channel via creating a season pass, but you still can't actually extract music only.

Still the case?

Badness
07-05-2003, 01:16 PM
Any intention of the current split tools supporting the music channels?

David Bought
07-05-2003, 03:28 PM
Originally posted by Badness
Any intention of the current split tools supporting the music channels?

Don't forget to post this question on every tivocommunity forum too, to improve your chances of getting a prompt answer.

JJBliss
07-05-2003, 04:24 PM
Keep your posts to a single forum on a single board. It's proper ettiquette.

There are no intentions of any of the current tools doing music channel extraction.

If this thread continues to degrade, it will be closed and deleted.

Badness
07-05-2003, 04:26 PM
Understood. Thanks for the reply.

rd001
07-07-2003, 10:19 AM
Originally posted by JJBliss
There are no intentions of any of the current tools doing music channel extraction.I'm curious about your remark. Is the extraction of music channels considered forbidden by Dtivo folk or are you just saying that our developers aren't interested in supporting it?

JJBliss
07-07-2003, 10:27 AM
Originally posted by rd001
I'm curious about your remark. Is the extraction of music channels considered forbidden by Dtivo folk or are you just saying that our developers aren't interested in supporting it?

Not that I know of.

I was being abrupt in order to quell the snide remarks, and kindling flame fest.

There is no possible way to "extract" the music channels, because there is currently no way to record the music channels such that any of the current tools could extract them anyway.

Moreover, the actual question was badly worded and ill conceived as it looked to investigate "split tools" not even extraction.

Regarding "our developers", they have their hands kind of full with the video/audio tasks on their plate, and I think it would be silly to divert their attention at this point, dont you?

Since the current tools would have to be reworked in their entirety, as well as manipulating the Dtivo software to allow for archiving/recording of the music channels, I thought my brief comment was sufficient.

JJ Bliss

Pro-289
07-07-2003, 05:33 PM
David, funny avatar.

Badness, why not just take your audio out, like fiber out, into a sound card. Then you could record pure digital audio into a computer? Unless there's a copyright bit in the streams where software won't let you record.

Badness
07-07-2003, 06:08 PM
Never tried that. But if it was able to be extracted via network card like the other streams, it would have zero quality loss at all with a lot less trouble =)

JJBliss
07-07-2003, 06:52 PM
Never tried that. But if it was able to be extracted via network card like the other streams, it would have zero quality loss at all with a lot less trouble =)

Just a note for those reading this who may try to transfer somewhat incorrect information:

The stream is never extracted, recordings are.

kurjiboo
07-07-2003, 06:55 PM
I had managed to record audio by changing a couple properties of the channel I was recording. SCID, frequency, and other crap refer to the actual channel, so it is possible. I then pulled the streams off alright, but tystudio and tytool died trying to split the tystream. even the tivo cant seek though the recorded audio, though it can play it back as long as you dont move around. the fiber cable seems like the best solution. besides, the music isn't all that good anyway;)

Badness
07-07-2003, 07:29 PM
Easy to record them via tivoweb. Just select the channel and record it. Thats how I do it.

JJBliss
07-07-2003, 10:10 PM
Easy to record them via tivoweb. Just select the channel and record it. Thats how I do it.

err.... can you elaborate on that ?

Tivo will NOT record music channels, unless you know something we all don't.

What steps have you taken to record music channels using tivoweb?

Badness
07-08-2003, 12:36 AM
Originally posted by JJBliss
err.... can you elaborate on that ?

Tivo will NOT record music channels, unless you know something we all don't.

What steps have you taken to record music channels using tivoweb?

Didnt take any steps bud. All you do is go to the channel listing in tivoweb and select one of the 800 channels and view listing and click record just like any other program. Works on my directivo with 2.52 software with no problems. Can replay the stream on the directivo and extract the ty file with no problem too. The problem comes in when trying to split the ty file into m2v and m2a files with vsplit. Strange thing is vsplit doesnt even report a error, it just outputs 0 byte files.

OvitivO
10-19-2003, 01:43 AM
I've done this in the past:

I believe that I created either a Season Pass for the "show" via the DTV music channel or a Wishlist, using the keywords for the "show."

Each extracted 2-hour block was roughly 230 MB.

chris_tivo
10-20-2003, 05:31 PM
Slightly off the topic, but is there a way creating a vob file from a music channel with as little picture content as possible (or even none).

I gather if you use a tool like DVD2One it shrinks the video, but not the audio but I wondered if there was a better way to do this.

There are a few things I have fancied recording off the music channels but my dvd player doesn't play MP3s

rung
10-20-2003, 08:37 PM
You could try "re-encoding" with tmpgenc. Just use the DVD wizard and only choose the mpg for audio (no video). I just went through the wizard with an hour program and it says it only takes about 12% of the DVD - so by extrapolation you could get about 8.5 hours on a DVD. It looks like it uses 750k CBR for the "video" (a minumum by the standard?).

nsysblh
10-20-2003, 11:45 PM
I guess there is something in the database that prevents pressing the record button and recording the music channels. Sorta like the PPV channel flags, or the "locals I'm not supposed to even see" flags. If so, the a small tivosh script could probably move them in and out of "recordable" land.

It is weird that wishlists will find the programming, though. You'd think the wishlists would look for the channel flag.

Or maybe it is done some other way (as in, all 8xx channels are disabled from hitting record)

Badness
10-21-2003, 12:14 AM
The problem isnt recording the channels, there are quite a few ways to trick the tivo into doing that. The problem is after extracting the ty file being able to get a mpg or split it in any way. The current tools don't support the music channel files.

nsysblh
10-21-2003, 12:58 AM
The problem isnt recording the channels, there are quite a few ways to trick the tivo into doing that. The problem is after extracting the ty file being able to get a mpg or split it in any way. The current tools don't support the music channel files.

Don't you get an mpeg which you can demux into .m2v and .m2a (or .mpv and .mpa)?

Then you just toss the .m2v file and convert the mp2 audio to something useful (either wav for CD burning, or mp3)

I've never tried it with the Directivo, but I used to use the standalone to grab songs a long while ago. The hardest part was finding where the break points were.

Badness
10-21-2003, 01:04 AM
Originally posted by nsysblh
Don't you get an mpeg which you can demux into .m2v and .m2a (or .mpv and .mpa)?

Then you just toss the .m2v file and convert the mp2 audio to something useful (either wav for CD burning, or mp3)

I've never tried it with the Directivo, but I used to use the standalone to grab songs a long while ago. The hardest part was finding where the break points were.

Oh, well directv has these music channels which is what I am referring to. Im not sure what channels you are referring to on a standalone tivo since those channels are specific to the source you are hooked up to. But on a directivo the channels in the 800's cant be split by current utilities out there. They can be extracted to ty just fine, and even reinserted but using a utility such as vsplit wont split the ty into m2v and m2a.

Gojira69
12-22-2005, 09:08 PM
You could try "re-encoding" with tmpgenc. Just use the DVD wizard and only choose the mpg for audio (no video). I just went through the wizard with an hour program and it says it only takes about 12% of the DVD - so by extrapolation you could get about 8.5 hours on a DVD. It looks like it uses 750k CBR for the "video" (a minumum by the standard?).
Did you actually go through with the burning process and end up with something that was playable?