PDA

View Full Version : Special deals on TiVo fees

AddictedToTV
07-08-2003, 06:08 PM
Does TiVo ever offer specials on the monthly/lifetime subscription fees? How about specials on the HomeMediaOption fee?

Combo deals, on sale this month, rebate, etc?

The reason I'm asking is that I just purchased a brand new TiVo unit to give as a gift to my parents this month. I'm planning to go for the $299 lifetime subscription, and maybe the $99 HomeMediaOption. The only feature of the HomeMediaOption that we are likely to use is the remote scheduling from internet; ReplayTV gives you that for free; TiVo charges $99. Ugh! :mad:

Past specials might give a hint as to whether specials will be offered in the future.

mrblack51
07-08-2003, 07:51 PM
tivo has never offered any discounts on their fees. they used to have lifetime stuff, but im not sure thats available anymore. basically, if you wanted a replay, you would have bought one. while the fees might be high for some people, you are buying tivo no so much for the equivilent features that a replay has, but for the extra features that the replay lacks, such as hackability, tivo suggestions, the tivo interface, etc.

AddictedToTV
07-08-2003, 10:59 PM
Sure, the TiVo has some advantages over the ReplayTV (and the ReplayTV has some advantages over the TiVo). Some of the TiVo advantages you listed are why I spent the extra $$$ for the TiVo unit over the less expensive ReplayTV unit.

But, in addition to the ever climbing TiVo unit price outpacing its competitors, TiVo's subscription is also much higher (and climbing faster). I guess TiVo gets away with charging that much because it has an overwhelming majority of the market share.

However, I'm having trouble understanding why, after charging a high premium over ReplayTV in both unit price and subscription fees, TiVo also tacks on an additional $99 to get remote scheduling. The competitors are grabbing less money on the units and subscriptions, but still can afford to give remote scheduling for free. Just seems kind of greedy on TiVo's part. :mad:

suzy9680
07-10-2003, 02:46 PM
This is my first post here, but I thought I would let you guys know about a deal I just heard about:

http://tivo.com/4.9.15.asp

You can get the Home Media Option for $59 ($99 minus a $40 rebate).

Offer only eligible for TiVo subscribers who are accessing TiVo service through broadband connection and have not purchased a Home Media Option package as of 7/7/03.