PDA

View Full Version : How to nab streams off Tivo 4.0

gNOMEintheRedHa
04-28-2003, 09:02 AM
Is it passable to extract from the new DTivo?

I've read conflicting info.

Thanks,
gNOME

mrblack51
04-29-2003, 02:08 PM
yes, you can extract if you use the kmem patch on 3.1.u5

however, not all processing programs support the s2 streams yet.

egocentric
05-04-2003, 02:42 PM
Does anyone have a list of what processing programs do support S2 DTivo streams?

I noticed CWingert's mplayer and mencoder modes work fine.

TyStudio 0.5.0 Beta 2 crashes on S2 DTivo stream in WinXP.

TyTool 6r3 crashes on S2 DTivo stream in WinXP.

Any others I should know about?

2old2play
05-08-2003, 02:23 AM
I too am interested in this. I just got my HDVR2 and I can't wait to try and move the streams

Fugg
05-08-2003, 08:34 AM
A month or two ago I had a guy send me a series2 stream he was having problems with. I massaged it through vsplitmux2c pretty easily, as I remember.

I'd love to get my mitts on another series2 stream to play with if you've got somewhere I can ftp one from. (i'm on cable, but they block servers)

When you've got a problem stream and you finally get it right, watching the complete finished stream after it's all over is like the ultimate reward.
(place hands on hips, grunt loudly)
:)

2old2play
05-11-2003, 01:28 AM
any news?

egocentric
05-11-2003, 04:19 PM
Here's a link to an unscrambled ty file. It's about 18 megs and only runs for a couple of minutes.

http://ego.dyndns.org/ManorHouse_ty.tar.gz

I used mfs_ftp to download it. It plays fine in MPlayer, with cwingert's mods. It crashes every other tool I've tried it with. TyStudio, TyConvert, TyC, vsplit.

Let me know if you can massage it through any of the tools and what the trick is.

Fugg
05-11-2003, 07:51 PM
i'm at work now, so i don't have access to my main machine, but...

The second thing I found on my old work machine worked!!!

tydemux 0.3.0 to m2v/m2a
mplex to a mpeg

tydemux crashes at the end, but I think that's from chopping it.
I'll try the newer tools when I get home.

where the heck is kera?? and btw, it had good sync, too!!!
;)

Got anymore? anybody?:D

egocentric
05-11-2003, 11:59 PM
Originally posted by Fugg
tydemux crashes at the end, but I think that's from chopping it.

Chopping it? Did you chop it? Or do you think I chopped it? I'm not sure what you mean by that.. I used a manual start/stop record on the TiVo to record the segment. I didn't actually do any chopping personally, other than telling the tivo to stop recording.

I've tried TyDemux. Whenever I saw the crash, I gave up and moved onto the next file, considering the output to be unreliable. But I'll try it again.

Let me know if you can get it to work in any other tools.

Fugg
05-12-2003, 08:05 AM
tydemux 0.3.0 crashed, but worked.
tydemux 0.5.0 did'nt.

(i thought this was a piece chopped from a longer ty)

05-22-2003, 03:06 PM
Can anyone tell me if video extraction is possible on a SA Series 2 v4? My 60hr is nearly full and I would love to get all those vids pulled down.

If not, is it possible to backup the entire drive and then restore it later when extraction is possible?

Thanks.

terrybadman
06-21-2003, 04:23 PM
I've been reading up on here on how to go about extracting video from an S2 seems like all is wonderful if you are running the "right" version of the Tivo software. I am not, my SA S2 machine is up to date with the latest 4.x release but I have about 40 hours of shows I would like to dump off my tivo hard drives. I am willing to pull the HDD's out of my machine and directly attach them to my Pentium III PC. Can this work? I've seen some posts saying that this is possbile with a Dtivo but it appears that S2 SA machines encrypt the recordings? Is this true? Can I just copy everything off my drives? Please help as my Tivo is continually running out of space and deleting some shows too soon because I'm trying to see if I can archive my favorite shows.
Also is there a way to save the closed caption information?

bitwaster
07-08-2003, 01:39 PM
i have a tivo 60-hour sa/s2 using monte to boot a patched 4.0 kernel. i've been trying to get kmem to "do the right thing" and unscramble the video, but i've run into a snag.

i have the kmem binary in /var/hack/bin, and i tried the line

/var/hack/bin/kmem 800bf958 00001021

at the end of /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit and the video records just fine. i can stream it off the box just fine, however when i try to play it on the TiVo itself, it complains that the video is corrupt.

my working theory is that the kmem line disabled the encryption on recording, but when the tivo attempts to play it back, it is attempting to decrypt a non-encrypted stream resulting in junk.

any suggestions? am i completely off my rocker?

David Bought
07-09-2003, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by bitwaster
i have a tivo 60-hour sa/s2 using monte to boot a patched 4.0 kernel. i've been trying to get kmem to "do the right thing" and unscramble the video, but i've run into a snag.

i have the kmem binary in /var/hack/bin, and i tried the line

/var/hack/bin/kmem 800bf958 00001021

at the end of /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit and the video records just fine. i can stream it off the box just fine, however when i try to play it on the TiVo itself, it complains that the video is corrupt.

my working theory is that the kmem line disabled the encryption on recording, but when the tivo attempts to play it back, it is attempting to decrypt a non-encrypted stream resulting in junk.

any suggestions? am i completely off my rocker?

You may wish to consider rebuilding the 2.4.18 kernel with the scrambling code commented out, and see if that makes a difference.

I don't remember the exact file (maybe drivers/ide/ide-disk.c ?) but you should be able to find it easily enough through a recursive grep for "scramble".

needo
07-11-2003, 10:03 AM
I've been running around in circles on how to extract video streams off my Tivo Series2 Standalone 4.0. Almost all the tools I've tried depend on 2.x or 3.x. Is there any one out there successfully extracting streams off of Tivo 4.0?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

needo
07-14-2003, 10:47 AM
Originally posted by honer123
There is no way for you to do that. Series 2 Tivo's are unhackable at the moment.
Honer

I disagree. I currently have a BASH prompt on my 4.0 using the two kernel monte.

What I did is located at http://www.superhero.org/tivo/

needo
07-14-2003, 01:04 PM
Originally posted by honer123
Neat hack. I guess I was away from the forum too long to see this one. Anyways, sorry about my ignorance. Hopefully they will start releasing Series2 Versions of these hacks.
Honer

Yeah me too. Until more 4.x apps come out Im actually going to downgrade to 3.2. Working on getting my USB NIC working with it now.