PDA

View Full Version : Hard Drive Unlocker for UTV

wildfrog
07-12-2003, 09:56 PM
This program will REFORMAT and unlock a drive locked with a utv using a normal pc.
THIS WILL COMPLETLY ERASE THE HARD DRIVE!!! It will not allow access to contents of the drive. This is only for re-using a utv locked drive without using your utv to unlock it. You have been warned.
To use this program
1: make a dos boot disk.
2: unzip mhd3.zip and copy mhd3.exe to the boot disk.
3: power down computer and hook drive into primary or secondary ide channel. It can be master or slave, and can be after a already installed drive such as a master cdrom.
4: Boot with dos disk.
5: run mhd3
6: select desired drive. The installed drives are listed 1 to 4.
7: Program will show what it is doing and then display a '.' every 10 seconds until done.
8: do not power off while running or you will have to start all over again.
9: program will tell you when it is finished.
It normally takes 28 minutes to clear an original utv drive. All this program does is allow re-use of a utv locked drive. It has no other use. Enjoy!

Flagg
07-14-2003, 11:07 PM
Worked perfectly on a UTV locked Seagate drive. Quick and painless!

Thanks to whoever created this wonderful little tool.

Flagg

DDF
07-15-2003, 06:59 PM
Thanks for info. :)

have 2 drives to unlock now. LOL

DDF

aLfer
07-17-2003, 12:45 AM
wf, thanks for a great tool that will undoubtedly become invaluable for us utvers. ive heard of many success stories but I did run across a few problems with my WD 120gig. If anyone else has difficulty try this:

If you get a timeout error when the program sends the master password, shut down your machine and try it again, dont try to rerun the program as the drive seems to be not ready to accept any more commands after this.

Also, even if the program says it is complete after say 10 minutes, its a good idea to keep the computer on since it may not be finished zeroing. A good estimate is 30 minutes per 40 gigabytes, so if you have a 120 gig drive you need zeroed, wait about 1.5 hours. You can also hear the heads zeroing if you put the drive to your ear. Hope this helps, if anyone else has info please post. thanks again wf...

xmx
07-18-2003, 11:58 PM
you are the greatest this program is the greatest thing since sliced bread!!!!!!

XMX:D

rattman8
07-21-2003, 09:14 PM
doesnt work to good on the western digital 40 gig H/D does anyone rember the jumper settings for that hard drive in the UTV

please let me know

and if anyone know what works good for formating the W/D

thanks

wildfrog
07-21-2003, 09:53 PM
The way you jumper the drive when using mhd3 depands on wether or not you put it in the pc as a master or slave. It has nothing to do with the way the utv wants it.

wisegrape
08-02-2003, 05:12 AM
With this utility can I unlock and zero a current UTV drive and place it back into the UTV. I want to wipe a UTV drive and use it in the same UTV. Is this possible?

DDF
08-02-2003, 10:48 AM
Yes you can use it in the same unit.

I found the program does not like windows XP pro, use win 98 or 95.

Is a great program. :) was able to save my 3.5 image and use the drive that was locked. :)

DDF

azbill
08-07-2003, 02:32 PM
As has been said this program is FANTASTIC! However, what would make it better, would be an option to unlock without erasing. I find that I need that option at this time. Does anyone know of a way to unlock a drive from a UTV without destroying the data? AZBill

aLfer
08-07-2003, 02:41 PM
azbill,

The only way to unlock a utv drive is to do it the same way the utv itself does, by using the user password. This is always different for each drive and the only way to get the password right now is sniff it out of the ata communication using a logic analyzer. The master password, on the other hand, is constant for all UTV drives. With maximum security set and only having a master password available, as all UTV hard drives are, the only thing we can do is format the drive completely, thereby unlocking it.

azbill
08-07-2003, 02:55 PM
Hey aLfer - Thanks for the info, wasn't what I wanted to hear, but that's the way it goes. You seem quite knowledgeable, so I'll ask you another question. I have an 80GB maxtor that I put 3.5 on and the UTV still tries to dial out each time it boots. Pu the same file on a wd45gb and it boots? Any suggestions. AZBill

ucpho
08-08-2003, 12:05 AM
This is a great program.
I unlocked my hd without a problem.

Much thanks to the one that create this nice util.

aLfer
08-08-2003, 12:18 AM
azbill,

Yeah unfortunately that is the way these drives work. I have heard rumors of someone working on a password generator, so perhaps one day we will be able to unlock the hard drive, but until then all we can do is the hot swap trick. As for your problem, check out the post by bcti on this thread: http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=24742

If you follow those directions verbatim you should be able to restore 3.5 on your utv. It has worked for me on several drives and most other people as well. I would say just try again and make sure you write the image to the right offset. Good luck..

aLfer

azbill
08-08-2003, 08:49 AM
Hey aLfer - I found my problem, was a dumb*ss mistake on my part! Did not put the Maxtor in the master mode. All's well now. Thanks for the assist. AZBill

Mudslide03
09-29-2003, 08:59 AM
I used your utility to zero my 120Gig WD drive and it came back saying it was successful. I can't seem to do anything with the drive now including booting from a floppy and using your utility on it. No matter what I do nothing finds the drive.

metrotech
09-29-2003, 02:11 PM
First is the drive seen in your systems bios, if it is run fdisk and setup your drive.

MT

wringo
01-02-2004, 04:03 PM
the hard drive unlocker works great i need to find a good program for editing the drive thx

whynodss
01-18-2004, 12:31 PM
i get the system to boot off disk run the mhd3 program and select the drive..it tells me its locked..unknown error and will not clean up the drive as you state it should...

driverx
01-25-2004, 12:06 AM
My UTV upgraded to 3.7 but I need 3.5 will this program get me back 3.5?

guido79
01-30-2004, 08:49 PM
I've pulled my Western Digital 120GB hard drive (model# WDC-WD1200BB) from my UTV and have run this utility on it 4 times. After it completes, I try to fdisk the drive and I get the error message "No Fixed Drives found". I've tried the drive as Primary Master, Secondary Master and Secondary Slave and the issue still happens. Not sure what I'm doing wrong but some have said that I need to wait 30 minutes per 40GB even after the utility completes. Does this make sense to anyone? I'll try again tonight and post the results by waiting.

Guido

guido79
01-31-2004, 02:31 AM
I've pulled my Western Digital 120GB hard drive (model# WDC-WD1200BB) from my UTV and have run this utility on it 4 times. After it completes, I try to fdisk the drive and I get the error message "No Fixed Drives found"... I'll try again tonight and post the results by waiting.

Looks like I just needed to wait after it says it's complete for a while. After it ran for today, the security had been removed from the drive.

I now have the drive happily running in my DirecTivo system.

`3D
03-22-2004, 05:43 PM
You can unlock the drive by firing up the UTV unit for about a 1-3 min.

When all activity is stopped the drive is now unlocked.

unplug ide cable ONLY (leave power ON)

hook a cable from your PC mother board ide connection, not to UTV drive yet!!!

boot pc...pause before hard drives are detected.....now hook cable to UTV drive.......space bar to continue......pc should see drive.

you'll need a full version of winhex to edit drive

when done......unplug ide from drive.....do not shut down pc....(or you can unplug it)

MikeBTP
06-23-2004, 07:50 AM
I've tried this utility several times to unlock my IBM Deskstar 80GB drive to reuse in my computer and it doesn't work. Is there any other method available to do this?
(other than placing it back in UTV)

Never mind. I found another thread with the info I need.

Thanks,
Mike

aLfer
07-27-2004, 02:34 AM
This is to announce the release of the UTV Hard Drive unlocker, MHD3 version 1.1. This update addresses an apparent timing problem experienced by many IBM/Hitachi Deskstar users. It may or may not work with other hard drive brands. As I had access to only my IBM Deskstar 180GXP, I wasnt able to test any other brands. If you have success with v1.1 with another brand, please post your results. If this program does not work for your drive, try the original v1.0 at the top of this thread. Also included is the source code for both versions 1.0 and 1.1 for all you coders. Enjoy.

NOTES ON USE OF MHD3.EXE:

- Most importantly, it is imperative you allow sufficient time for the drive to finish zeroing. For every 40 GB's of hard drive capacity, you MUST allow AT LEAST 30 minutes from the time you run mhd3.exe. Even if the program tells you the drive is finished sooner than this, let the machine sit at the a prompt until the necessary time has elapsed. This means for an 80GB drive, wait 1 hour; for a 120GB drive, wait at least 1.5 hours, etc from the initial mhd3 execution.

- This program must be run in pure dos from a boot disk.

- For best results, attach your locked drive as primary master with no other drives connected. If you get timeout errors, try using the program in an older, slower machine such as a p2-200.

Dizndat
09-15-2004, 11:10 PM
>I found the program does not like windows XP pro, use win 98 or 95.

That I can understand. My older computers [that run Win95 and Win98] don't support the large drives [40 gig and 80 gig] that I need to unlock. Will this be a problem? The bios might not recognize them either.

darkmenace
09-26-2004, 09:59 AM
Can this program you people are using for UTV drives be used on old xbox hd's for which the password is unknown? I tried it on a seagate 10gb from a busted xbox and it said the drive was using maximum security and when i tried to unlock it said there was an unknown error.

If this doesnt work on xbox locked drives anybody know of a util that does?

speedy
11-07-2004, 12:55 PM
I also have tried it on a X-Box drive and got the same error. I have a 250 gig drive that is locked and need to unlock it. The X-Box is no longer around to unlock this drive. If you have a solution email me at speedyone@gmail.com

andymil
02-11-2005, 09:23 PM
trying to reuse in my pc am throwing out the utv unit it says its complete but cant run fdisk or format it

tgif
02-11-2005, 11:40 PM
trying to reuse in my pc am throwing out the utv unit it says its complete but cant run fdisk or format it
after mhd says it's done, it might not be. you should leave your drive running (with power) even after mhd3 says done. you should be able to hear the drive still zeroing out...you gotta listen closely.

andymil
02-12-2005, 11:37 AM
thanx got past that but the 4o gig drive formats out to only 8 gig any suggestions.

aLfer
02-12-2005, 03:12 PM
Check your jumpers. An incorrect jumper setting will limit the drive to 8 GB. If thats not it and the drive is unlocked, its a drive problem...

aLfer

tricky1
04-18-2005, 04:47 PM
I've tried both mhd3 proggy's, in both primary, and secondary IDE's, it looks like it's working, but after 16 hours I'm still getting " . "'s every 10 seconds, but I never hear writing noises on the drive. I hear it spinning, but no "gronking". I'm trying to unlock a Seagate 40 gig from a UTV unit. I'm using XP home, and tried drive as a slave, and master. My puter sees it in "Device Manager", but not in "My Computer", or "Disk Manager" Anybody got any suggestions ?? Thanks

dan0
04-21-2005, 12:38 PM
boot from a floppy disk (with mhd program on it)
with only the UTV drive plugged in on the primary IDE port as master
run the original mhd program (let it set over nite)
it will be unlocked in the morning

defaultuser235
11-29-2005, 01:21 PM
Put the Hard Drive in a Zip Lock Storage (Anti-Static) then put in a Freezer for two hours, then put in your system right away and Voila!

If all else fails this is what I plan to do. I just was burnt on Ebay and brought a locked drive.

madmaul
01-17-2006, 01:50 PM
This program will REFORMAT and unlock a drive locked with a utv using a normal pc.
THIS WILL COMPLETLY ERASE THE HARD DRIVE!!! It will not allow access to contents of the drive. This is only for re-using a utv locked drive without using your utv to unlock it. You have been warned.
To use this program
3: power down computer and hook drive into primary or secondary ide channel. It can be master or slave, and can be after a already installed drive such as a master cdrom.
7: Program will show what it is doing and then display a '.' every 10 seconds until done.
It normally takes 28 minutes to clear an original utv drive. All this program does is allow re-use of a utv locked drive. It has no other use. Enjoy!
I have a hd maxtor 80gb locked with user password. I have used your procedure on my hd bat i haven't anything to do.
Can you help me?
Tank's.
Madmaul

dan0
01-25-2006, 08:22 PM
follow the instructions in post 34
let us know what happens

purpchin65
02-16-2006, 10:35 AM
I thank you so much for whoever posted this v1.1 version of the mhd3.exe program. I had hooked up a 120GB IBM Deskstar that I was trying to blank out in a PC and I kept getting a "timeout error" whenever I ran the v1.0 version. I tried and tried and with no success. When I kept reading on in this forum I found out I wasn't the only person with an IBM Deskstar HDD that was having problems. When I overwrote the old mhd3.exe with the new mhd3.exe v1.1 onto the boot floppy and put it in the PC and ran it the hard drive it starting removing the security just had it done on my original 40GB UTV drive. May the person or people who wrote this program be blessed!!!

Ovich
02-26-2006, 06:25 PM
This is to announce the release of the UTV Hard Drive unlocker, MHD3 version 1.1. This update addresses an apparent timing problem experienced by many IBM/Hitachi Deskstar users. It may or may not work with other hard drive brands. As I had access to only my IBM Deskstar 180GXP, I wasnt able to test any other brands. If you have success with v1.1 with another brand, please post your results. If this program does not work for your drive, try the original v1.0 at the top of this thread. Also included is the source code for both versions 1.0 and 1.1 for all you coders. Enjoy.

NOTES ON USE OF MHD3.EXE:

- Most importantly, it is imperative you allow sufficient time for the drive to finish zeroing. For every 40 GB's of hard drive capacity, you MUST allow AT LEAST 30 minutes from the time you run mhd3.exe. Even if the program tells you the drive is finished sooner than this, let the machine sit at the a prompt until the necessary time has elapsed. This means for an 80GB drive, wait 1 hour; for a 120GB drive, wait at least 1.5 hours, etc from the initial mhd3 execution.

- This program must be run in pure dos from a boot disk.

- For best results, attach your locked drive as primary master with no other drives connected. If you get timeout errors, try using the program in an older, slower machine such as a p2-200.

Sorry but when i try to use this program hi give me the message like "Unknown error. if drive is losked try again" i tried the new version1.1 of mhd3 and its still the same. i have the Dell Laptop whith Hitachi Travelstar 40Gb whith security level "maximum". please if you have any idea to fix this problem e-mail me at stefanteofanovic@hotmail.com or post a reply.

thanks

krackle
03-03-2006, 12:09 AM
Sorry but when i try to use this program hi give me the message like "Unknown error. if drive is losked try again" i tried the new version1.1 of mhd3 and its still the same. i have the Dell Laptop whith Hitachi Travelstar 40Gb whith security level "maximum". please if you have any idea to fix this problem e-mail me at stefanteofanovic@hotmail.com or post a reply.

thanks

I have this problem as well, any way to fix it?

3FSAN3X
03-03-2006, 05:04 PM
I have this problem as well, any way to fix it?

I have the same problem too I hope someone can help us :confused:

cmd19872002
04-17-2006, 08:45 PM
Im no pro at this, but it seams like western digital hard drives it wont work with, when it is in "security lvl of Maximum". I as like every one else with this brand of hard drive, or xbox hard drive get the same results:

Unknown error, if drive is locked try agian

This is a xbox hard drive 8gb (model: WD80EB)

If any onw knows a way to unlock these hard drives (i dont care about the info left on the drive) please post some thing. Also for those wiht seagate hard drives from a xbox check out llamma.com, they have some program that can unlock them ones, but not WD drives :(. Time for me to move on in research, have fun unlocking every one :).

conrix
11-17-2006, 02:27 AM
This software was unable to unlock hitachi/IBM Hard drives from a thinkpad T43

gsmtecho
12-10-2006, 08:34 PM
i have ibm thinkpad t42 with hitachi Hdd locked , any way to unlock ?

Br Atef

dpacro
03-15-2007, 10:14 PM
i need to know too if it can unlock travelstar hitachi serie

gmcompu
10-02-2007, 11:16 AM
Hello to all,
I've a blocked hdd(Password protected), it's installed on a 640m dell laptop.
I've read, about this program, but the problem it's that i don't know how to install a Sata laptot hdd, on my desktop PC, i think that the sata connector on the laptop it's different to the Desktop one.
Can any one help me?
It's possible to access from dos to a Sata disk?
Thank you so much!

Kazak
10-02-2007, 11:56 AM
Doesn't really matter. This app will only unlock a drive that was locked by an Ultimate TV receiver...

kazak

mirza_84
12-01-2007, 08:19 AM
hi anyone is there who can help me out i have 40 Gb Fujistu
i tried to unlock trough the mhd3.exe but i found the following messege

Unknown erro , if lock try againg

Pleas help me:confused::confused:

defectivelion
12-27-2007, 08:45 PM
Ok, I was linked to this thread from another I was reading. Will this program work on a locked harddrive in a dell laptop?

jkukov
02-04-2008, 10:22 AM
To use this program

This tool mhd3 or mhd3 v1.1 don't work on SEAGATE 80GB IDE U9 Series :mad:
The program send me : Unknown error, if drive still locked try again !!!
I have big problem with this Drive ... 5 days I don't find the solution !
Pls ... someone to help me !

Some idies ? :rolleyes:

Kazak
02-05-2008, 09:18 PM

Some idies ? :rolleyes:

You didn't say where this hard drive came from so I'll repeat myself.

THIS PROGRAM ONLY WORKS ON A HARD DRIVE THAT WAS LOCKED WITH A SONY OR RCA ULTIMATE TV RECEIVER.

If your drive came from anything other than a Sony or RCA Ultimate TV receiver then the program WILL NOT unlock it.

kazak

defectivelion
02-08-2008, 01:46 AM
Ok, then does anyone know how I can unlock my laptop hard drive? This page is the closest thing to a solution I've been able to find. I was linked here from another forum that was about unlocking hard drives. I would really rather not buy a new hard drive for my laptop. Does anyone know a solution or where I could find one?

Kazak
02-08-2008, 07:49 PM
Ok, then does anyone know how I can unlock my laptop hard drive? This page is the closest thing to a solution I've been able to find. I was linked here from another forum that was about unlocking hard drives. I would really rather not buy a new hard drive for my laptop. Does anyone know a solution or where I could find one?

Have you asked Dell? They should be able to fix this.

kazak

defectivelion
02-08-2008, 08:04 PM
Dell can't help me because I bought it second-hand. I've been looking for a solution, but I can't find one anywhere. Most of the places I've looked send me back to here.

RandC
02-09-2008, 03:23 PM

Some idies ? :rolleyes:You might try this. Change the jumper setting and/or IDE cable that the drive is on. I had one that would not clear and I finally changed the jumper and hooked it up to the second IDE cable and got it to clear. And as kazak said, anything other than UTV that locked the drive mhd3 will not work.

andersonsmith
07-19-2008, 05:23 AM
I used your utility to zero my 120Gig WD drive and it came back saying it was successful. I can not seem to do anything with the drive now including booting from a floppy and using your utility on it. No matter what I do nothing finds the drive.

Kazak
07-19-2008, 08:17 PM
I used your utility to zero my 120Gig WD drive and it came back saying it was successful. I can not seem to do anything with the drive now including booting from a floppy and using your utility on it. No matter what I do nothing finds the drive.

A little more info please. It is a drive that was locked by a Sony or RCA Ultimate TV receiver, yes?

How long did the utility run? There have been reports of the it saying it was finished (on a large drive) long before it really was. A 120G drive will take 2 hours or so.

Also, booting to a DOS floppy with the utility on it is the best way.

Let us know.

kazak

farrin57
01-10-2009, 12:05 PM
does anyone hve the 3.5 or 3.8 image?

klassic
01-10-2009, 07:30 PM
3.8 up for 7 days

https://rcpt.yousendit.com/640988812/5f36c510eb7a62de139666c77751e0ef

kazak are you still alive?

Kazak
01-12-2009, 11:14 PM
Just barely...:D

I guess it'll be my turn next time? ;)

kazak

bika
08-12-2009, 10:04 AM
i tried it with Hitachi but it give me an error Unknown error, if drive is locked try again. i tried many times still getting the same error.
any help

Kazak
08-14-2009, 08:23 PM
i tried it with Hitachi but it give me an error Unknown error, if drive is locked try again. i tried many times still getting the same error.
any help

Did this Hitachi drive come from a Sony or RCA UltimateTV receiver?

kazak

carport
09-21-2012, 01:52 PM
HI Guys,

I have a idea plz try using mdh3 program. It will zero the drive, even if it's locked down.

tackybark
12-03-2013, 02:04 AM
this is great, the program totally works. already unlocked 1 drive. thanks!

volvox
03-21-2017, 09:39 PM
Hi where can I download the MHD3 file? thanks.