PDA

View Full Version : Parlax Ribbon Cable..wtb??

GREEK
07-13-2003, 06:03 PM
Anybody got a heads up on where to get the parlax ribbbon cables.( between the motherboard and power supply) I have seen too many misbehaving dtivos cause of this and sometimes reseating it is a temp fix. A new one would be GREAT if it were kinda reasonable and possible to find. ANY INFO or URL would be awesome. Thanks 2 all...............GREEK

captain_video
07-14-2003, 07:53 AM
Here's the part number from Sony:

Sony Part #: 1-960-964-11
Description: 10-pin harness

nitrous
07-20-2003, 04:52 PM
I've had some success flattening out the 'business' end of the stip. problem with reinserting the cable is that dents form that reduce the contact pressure between the connector and the parlax ribbon connector.

buff up the contact with an eraser and some isopropyl alcohol.

Sorted out a couple units for me that appeared to be power supply related.

N|trous

brage
08-25-2003, 08:10 PM
Originally posted by captain_video

where could this item be purchased ?

-j

jodell
08-26-2003, 12:54 AM
<smart ass mode>

From Sony :')

</smart ass mode>

I would bet that if you searched Sony's website, you could find a phone number for a parts department. I haven't tried this myself but it sounds reasonable...

Jeff

Rockstead
09-15-2003, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by captain_video

Hi There,

I tried entering this part # on http://servicesales.sel.sony.com

but no item is found, is this item no longer available form Sony?

usually the item will still appear on the search result but will just e listed as discontinued.

Any idea what I'm doing wrong? I simply entered in to the Part # search box.

Thanks

brage
09-15-2003, 12:51 PM
I may have found a source for this part. If I were able to get it It would only be in bulk (I'd probably have to buy 50 pieces at least) what price would you guys be willing to pay for it?

-j

Rockstead
09-15-2003, 01:10 PM
http://www.allelectronics.com/cgi-bin/category.cgi?category=search&item=RCBL-10&type=store

All electronics sells 10 pin Ribbon cables for .20 a foot.

The price should be dirt cheap, unless of course this will not work with any standard 10 pin ribbon cable.

brage
09-15-2003, 01:24 PM
Originally posted by Rockstead
http://www.allelectronics.com/cgi-bin/category.cgi?category=search&item=RCBL-10&type=store

All electronics sells 10 pin Ribbon cables for .20 a foot.

The price should be dirt cheap, unless of course this will not work with any standard 10 pin ribbon cable.

it is far from a stantard ribbon cable. It has to be custom manufactured to specs. Have you pulled yours out and looked at it ?

Rockstead
09-15-2003, 01:28 PM
Ya I have pulled it out, but I don't know enough about these type of cables to know the difference between a custom and standard one.

I would be interested in a few of these cables, how soon would you be putting this together?

brage
09-15-2003, 02:14 PM
Ya I have pulled it out, but I don't know enough about these type of cables to know the difference between a custom and standard one.

I would be interested in a few of these cables, how soon would you be putting this together?

Just trying to guage interest in it. What do you think a fair price would be? I am going to try to get some estimates from my source.

brage
09-17-2003, 12:47 PM

The part is $4.50 ea, but I have to buy a minimum of 100.

so that is $450 + tax! if I I'd need aboug 25 people to buy them at $20 ea to make anything on it.

interest? y/n?

vu2vu
10-03-2003, 07:46 AM
On my tivo, reseating the cable only bought me about a month before it started acting up again. Someone mentioned something about a contact ehancer so I went down to Fry's and picked up a bottle for $10.00 if I remember correctly. Sprayed a little on cable, then a little on the connectors. My tivo was alive again. Just as an added insurance policy I sprayed a dab on the connectors, while the machine was running (i know this is dangerous) and sealed it back up. Its been two months and I it hasn't given my any problems.

I am kinda disapointed in tivo for using such a s***y power connector. From my understanding there is quite a load on the motherboard, that should have warranted a better quality cable (2 tuners, 2 st processors, 1 powerpc processor, to name a few). I know I can solder a ribbon cable to the motherboard, but I don't like pushing that much current through a cable designed for data, not current. I may be wrong about this, but thats my feeling.

Well enough ranting, I think most of the parlax cable issues come from excessive heat and oxidation. I can't help you with the heat, but the deoxit stuff works great to remove the oxidation and bring your tivo back.

This stuff works wonders, it will lubricate the parts and from what I have seen leave a thin film so the oxidation will not build back up.

http://www.deoxit.com

The Deoxit D5 spray can is what I bought. There are others also, but this was reasonable priced and available locally.

bradge, you can put me in for a couple.

old7
10-03-2003, 11:06 AM
Weakness now has the Parlex Cable (http://www.weaknees.com/tivo_parts_bin.php) for $11.00. Scroll down to Power Supplies.

-Old7

Tarlan
12-09-2004, 12:27 AM
Removing, cleaning and re-installing the Parlax cable worked for me. My SAT-60 DTivo would not boot and had a blank screen.