PDA

View Full Version : Disabling demo mode

theonlyest
07-18-2003, 01:25 PM
Hi, does anyone know how to disable or delete the demo mode video that DIRECTV puts into the UTV receivers for dealers?? You cant delete it from "my shows" and its really making me crazy!!!
it comes on automatically about every 6 minutes if you dont press any buttons on the remote, and it plays at about 3 times the volume of everything else.... please help!!! BTW yes, i'm an authorized dealer.

Adolf Bottler
07-18-2003, 02:56 PM
What are you doing to trigger this "demo mode"? Are you running a dealer card?

theonlyest
07-18-2003, 08:57 PM
Yep, its a dealer card... i'm using this UTV as a demo for customers so I dont have to use a new receiver from inventory, because we will be charged back $125 from Directv for not activating it for a new customer.... I also have an old Philips DTV/TIVO unit (DSR6000R01) that I could use, but it does the same annoying automatic demo loop. Is it possible or easier to disable the demo using the TIVO instead? I'd rather use the UTV if its possible tho... Thanks in advance for any help!

mrblack51
07-18-2003, 09:06 PM
if you are a dealer, then you are supposed to have the unit in demo mode, if you are not a dealer and are using a dealer card, then that is theft of service, something not discussed here.

is there a software fix to turn off demo mode permanently? not currently

theonlyest
07-18-2003, 09:13 PM
I absolutely AM an authorized dealer... have been since 1995, i'm absolutely NOT a hacker or doing anything to steal service... you do have a point about the fact that "I should be running demo mode" but since the UTV equipment is no longer available, it seems stupid to have a demo running in my store about it! I just want to use it to demo basic DIRECTV programming without having that loud annoying demo loop starting up.... DIRECTV dealer services definately sees my point, but they insist that there is no way they can remove that loop from just MY showroom demo card.

mrblack51
07-18-2003, 09:42 PM
Originally posted by theonlyest
I absolutely AM an authorized dealer... have been since 1995, i'm absolutely NOT a hacker or doing anything to steal service... you do have a point about the fact that "I should be running demo mode" but since the UTV equipment is no longer available, it seems stupid to have a demo running in my store about it! I just want to use it to demo basic DIRECTV programming without having that loud annoying demo loop starting up.... DIRECTV dealer services definately sees my point, but they insist that there is no way they can remove that loop from just MY showroom demo card.

so noted, not trying to be accusitory, but we have to be vigilant about dtv stuff these days. bottom line is that there are two ways to kill it: card or on the utv. card is a dtv hacking issue. utv is theoretically possible, but not something anyone has divulged how to bypass yet (or figured out how to bypass as the case may be)

theonlyest
07-19-2003, 02:15 AM
<<not something anyone has divulged how to bypass yet (or figured out how to bypass as the case may be)>>

Hmmm... Somewhere in my forum travels I found a code to TURN ON the demo mode (cant imagine WHY anyone would WANT it on) so i'm surprised there isnt a code to turn it off!

OK, so can it be done with a TIVO? in researching this I have come to find there is ALOT of mods that can be done to a TIVO unit!!

mrblack51
07-19-2003, 03:42 AM
can demo mode be permanently turned off on tivo units? in theory, yes.

theonlyest
07-19-2003, 03:12 PM
<<can demo mode be permanently turned off on tivo units? in theory, yes.>>

wonderful! any chance you might tell me how???

David Bought
07-20-2003, 04:17 PM
<<can demo mode be permanently turned off on tivo units? in theory, yes.>>

wonderful! any chance you might tell me how???

Yes, find the code in the wince image that decides whether or not to enable demo mode and change that code to always decide "no."

As mrblack51 said, somebody may or may not have figured this out yet, but if they have they aren't talking.

With the new checksum and splitting utilities your job just got a whole lot easier...

theonlyest
07-20-2003, 04:49 PM
<< Yes, find the code in the wince image that decides whether or not to enable demo mode and change that code to always decide "no."

As mrblack51 said, somebody may or may not have figured this out yet, but if they have they aren't talking.

With the new checksum and splitting utilities your job just got a whole lot easier...>>

Was that like... sarcasm?? I honestly dont know cuz I have no clue what any of it means! Whats a "wince image"?? and what are "checksum and splitting utilities"??

TheSlick
07-20-2003, 06:02 PM
Im in the same boat as you. I have one in my showroom & the Demo mode keeps poping on & I cant get a real answer.

mrblack51
07-20-2003, 06:38 PM
Originally posted by TheSlick
Im in the same boat as you. I have one in my showroom & the Demo mode keeps poping on & I cant get a real answer.

as mentioned in other threads, and this one, the real short term answer is to get a non-dealer card in there, or to convince dtv to turn off the demo mode stuff on your dealer card. otherwise, its wait and see, or start learning your wince stuff and mips opcodes

MyKroFt
07-20-2003, 07:23 PM
Originally posted by TheSlick

straight answer here -----

search for fixdemo.tcl. As far as getting it on your TiVo - your on your own....

Myk

mrblack51
07-20-2003, 07:41 PM
Originally posted by MyKroFt
straight answer here -----

search for fixdemo.tcl. As far as getting it on your TiVo - your on your own....

Myk

um, dude? he is talking about geting it working on the utv. thats for the tivo...got it backwards, eh =)

theonlyest
07-21-2003, 12:04 AM
Originally posted by mrblack51
um, dude? he is talking about geting it working on the utv. thats for the tivo...got it backwards, eh =)
Actually Mr Black, as mentioned earlier in my quest, i'd gladly accept a solution for either box, i'm using a UTV now, but I also have a Tivo that I could use if the only way to 86 the demo mode is with a Tivo.... so Myk was not off base.

PS. glad to know i'm not alone Slick, and your right, lots of nice guys here, but obviously nobody wants to tell me anything... apparently they were all born knowing "wince stuff and mips opcodes"... I guess i'm just SOL.

Is there anyone in LAS VEGAS that I can pay to set up my TIVO with all this cool software and nifty features and maybe even "fixdemo.tcl" ?????

mrblack51
07-21-2003, 12:36 AM
Actually Mr Black, as mentioned earlier in my quest, i'd gladly accept a solution for either box, i'm using a UTV now, but I also have a Tivo that I could use if the only way to 86 the demo mode is with a Tivo.... so Myk was not off base.

PS. glad to know i'm not alone Slick, and your right, lots of nice guys here, but obviously nobody wants to tell me anything... apparently they were all born knowing "wince stuff and mips opcodes"... I guess i'm just SOL.

Is there anyone in LAS VEGAS that I can pay to set up my TIVO with all this cool software and nifty features and maybe even "fixdemo.tcl" ?????

Myk's post implied that fixdemo.tcl was for the utv, and that a tivo solution had not been found. the reverse is actually the case, which is what i was indicating.

as for the "wince stuff and mips opcodes", it was a polite way of indicating that nobody has gotten far, or at least not that far and told anyone about it. while i understand you might be frustrated, your tone is rather harsh for someone seeking what really is a handout from those who know more about the subject. there is nothing wrong with a handout in that respect, but taking that sort of stance is not going to motivate anyone to help.

theonlyest
07-21-2003, 12:51 AM
please accept my appologies! I certainly didnt mean to come off with any attitude... altho i'll admit that its frustrating to get answers that are incomplete or in some kind of cult code! I think I even said something about "nice guys" in my post?

Anyway, I guess i'll try to find somone locally to help me... as much as I am a sponge for knowledge, and these Tivo mods are very interesting, the last thing I have time for right now is to learn the complex ins & outs of Tivo hacking... the new Sunday Ticket promo is starting in a week and i'm gonna be SLAMMED with work for at least the next 8-10 weeks.

David Bought
07-21-2003, 06:29 PM
please accept my appologies! I certainly didnt mean to come off with any attitude... altho i'll admit that its frustrating to get answers that are incomplete or in some kind of cult code! I think I even said something about "nice guys" in my post.

The answers you received are not in "cult code." They are precise answers that reflect the facts that: 1) a public hack is not available, 2) somebody may have developed one privately, 2) the poster does not know if this is the case (although a private hack is fairly likely) or is not allowed to disclose the hack's existence, and 4) by using the new public UTV tools to extract and dissect your software image and putting a bit of time into it, you may be able to develop a patch on your own.

Remember that this board is a place for development to occur, not a place for handouts. Handouts are always welcome but DDB did not become the #1 TiVo board in the world by relegating itself to a pathetic existence of passing along dated information and discouraging cutting edge research (http://www.tivocommunity.com). We are willing and able to help noobies get up to speed but that is definitely not our mission here. R&D drives the hobby, and end-user benefits are incidental.

slims
08-14-2003, 05:11 AM
EEPROM LINE 251E = 00
you will never see the UTV or TIVO demo mode screen again

slims

slims@optonline.net If Question's please no questions about free tv or bs stuff thanks

Q. Does this statement give me SUBBED Feats.
A. - This will file does not help you gain access to record mode in the utv. This file will not I repeat not give you access to the subbed feats of a utv. nore tivo sub. This file only helps demo mode victums. once i was a victum - demo mode is a pain fix it quick a pain full. never deal with that screan saver or demo mode screen.

I'm not saying that the dealer should have the unit out of demo mode if in a store. If you are a hacking the dtv singal then thats not correct. This only help people out that really need it. Please dont use it for evil.

If you bought a dealer card off ebay and also bought a tivo or utv you might come in to a problem. so that is why i think this should be posted. Hope no mods get mad at me for posting this. This is nothing to do with hacking or enbaling free service.

mrblack51
08-14-2003, 07:22 PM
no worries slims, good job. thanks for sharing with the community on this stuff. also, big props for adding the clarification on what it will/wont do, and the request that it shouldnt be used for evil. we need a few more guys like you in this section of the boards.

slims
10-21-2003, 04:14 AM
mrblack51
thanks for the great comment