PDA

View Full Version : UTV NK File Extraction Tool

trdtrdtrd
07-19-2003, 10:41 AM
This tool will allow you to extract all the files within the UTV kernel image.

You do not have to extract the kernel image from the 32 MB OS image for the app to work properly.

Steps to extract the kernel files:

1. 16-bit swap the entire image (if you did this properly, the first four bytes of the image should be: 00 04 00 10).
2. Run the extraction app.

UTVNKExtract.exe [nk image]

References:
http://www.xs4all.nl/~itsme/projects/xda/wince-rom-layout.html
For the image structs and how to extract files from the nk

winnt.h for the PE structs

fearlessrogue
08-04-2003, 05:41 PM
Is there a tool to repackage the files?

Thanks for posting this.

wad
09-04-2003, 12:33 AM
Just as a reference to try this tool, I took a 3.5 image as a bin file and tried this app as stated. (don't ask for me to send the image, it is out there just look)

It failed and said that it could not find image staring location. So I guess I first need to do the 16 bit swap. Can someone shed some light on how to do this. Remember I am trying to do this with an o/s image on my pc not on the UTV and I do not have a utv image on a hard drive just the file in the same directory as the extraction tool. As I am currently watching my UTV on my subbed p4 card, and I will keep doing htis as my intentions are to figure out this thing to allow larger Hdd, networking, storage of other mpeg sources etc.(even though some people have said I have evil intentions, whatever)

I want to do this so I can start to dissamble the files contained within. Please slap me if I am off base so I can get this going.

Please detail an *****s guide to do this if you please, or if I am so dumb the answer would be embarrasing please pm it to me.

Thanks again

Zee
09-04-2003, 02:16 AM
Uh, well i was gonna PM you the message (heh)

But i figured it would be better just to list how to do it here cuz i'm sure other people will get stuck too..

open your image in winhex, then go to edit, then modify data
then just click on 16bit byteswap and bingo, save the file, and extract away

Zee
09-04-2003, 03:56 AM
Does anyone notice that there seems to be mention of a network card in some of the files?

Also, thanks trdtrdtrd for providing that reference link, that totally helped things

BlueCop
09-04-2003, 03:04 PM
there is more then mention of a network card. in the UTV interface there is options to enable the usb nic. Microsoft has a ms brand usb nic which might work but people have tried various brands without success(i don't remember the brands offhand).

if you want usb networking interface with webtv. you will have to have a custom telescript. which the ultimatetv should download once you connect the usb nic.

wad
09-04-2003, 11:48 PM
Thanks very much, now I feel like you should have placed the instructions in a pm, This will help others aswell.

What software are you using to look at the dll's, winhex?

Anyhow has anyone tried using micrsoft visual studio embedded to try and run these executables? if so how was your success?

Anyone working on any dissablies of these files? I wish I had a commercial version of idapro :<

Anyhow thanks and look forward to comments.

BlueCop
09-08-2003, 05:12 PM
i have been looking at the default.fdf file but then i found out that
there are some perl scripts in their mkrom distro file for converting to reg and back to fdf (fdf2reg.pl and reg2fdf.pl)

http://xda-developers.com/mkrom/

well anyway this looks like the base registery.
it seems to setup the partitions and other interesting things. i was correllating the CLSID in default.reg to activeX object to refered to in the html and javascript.

well anyway you guys can play around with.

metrotech
09-11-2003, 05:43 PM
Very interesting, found some key things already you also have to byte-swap the files if this helps anyone. Well atleast I did.

metrotech
09-20-2003, 04:42 PM
trdtrdtrd

Thank you for providing this utility now something else to play with besides tivo. The number is Mr.Blacks plus 1.

MT