PDA

View Full Version : Best hacks for virgin 3.1

Malmok
07-21-2003, 02:05 PM
I have just purchased and installed a turbonet card. I can telnet to my TiVo (whoopie!).

My question is: What is the general consensus regarding the best hacks to install? I am running V3.1. Should I nuke it and revert back to 2.5 or is there a good suite of hacks that I can install on top of my non-hacked 3.1?

My goals are: Downloading programs to PC and burning DVDs
Copying programs from one TiVo to another
Impressing the babes

Also, is there an image out there where, if I totally screw up my TiVo, I can revert back to it's original, not hacked state?

I've been lurking for a couple of days, reading posts and I do have to say that you guys are stinkin geniuses for figuring this stuff out. I'm pretty computer savvy in the Windoze world, but I don't know squat about Linux.

Thanks guys!

Malmok
07-21-2003, 02:08 PM
Doh!

I forgot to mention that it is a Huges GXCEB0T. Single Quantum drive.

captain_video
07-21-2003, 02:55 PM
The easiest thing to do is install 2.5Xtreme, put the drive back in your DTivo and let it flash the EEPROM and rebuild the database (leave the sat feeds disconnected for now) and then install Superzap's xupgrade program to update the OS to either 2.5.2 or 3.1 (reconnect the sat feeds after installing the upgrade; this allows local guide data to populate with a fresh OS installation).

SZ's upgrade includes his xPlusz utility. XPlusz contains a whole suite of hacks and utilities that you can activate a la carte so just pick the ones you want and away you go. Extraction tools and utilities like TyTool or TyStudio will still have to be installed manually but they're pretty straightforward. Turbonet drivers, ftp, telnet, and Tivoweb are all part of the upgrade. If you want to be able to transfer shows between Tivos you'll need the mfs_ftp program.

You can use MFS Tools 2.0 and Hinsdale's How To to create a backup image of your existing DTivo drive that can be restored if something happens. You may want to consider upgrading to a larger drive for more recording space. 40GB really isn't nearly enough if you watch more than a few shows a week, especially if you set up any season passes. 120GB drives can be had for about $80-100 so drive space is dirt cheap these days. I've got three DTivos with a total of 560GB capacity between them.

Malmok
07-21-2003, 03:46 PM
Thanks Cap'n. That's what I was looking for. The posts that I've seen mostly deal with upgrading to 3.1 from an earlier hacked version.

So, installing 2.5Xtreme will "revert" the TiVo back to 2.5? Does it wipe out programs and season passes? Not that I care too much since there's nothing on the TiVo that I would miss.

Regarding the HD space, I've got a couple of 40 GB Seagate barracudas set up in a RAID that I'm not really using so I might yank one of them.

Thanks again.

captain_video
07-21-2003, 09:18 PM
The 2.5Xtreme CD is a full-blown OS installation. It wipe everything from your drive and install the hacked 2.5 DTivo OS in place of whatever you currently have on the drive.