PDA

View Full Version : hdvr2 image problem

static
07-21-2003, 10:35 PM
I am learning on a hughes hdvr2. I have mfstools2 with the u5-151-hacked.mfs i already made a bootable cd with the iso. I am not sure how i need to transfer the u5-151-hacked.mfs to my new hard drive. Any help will be great, even if it is a link!

Adolf Bottler
07-21-2003, 10:43 PM
Originally posted by static
I am learning on a hughes hdvr2. I have mfstools2 with the u5-151-hacked.mfs i already made a bootable cd with the iso. I am not sure how i need to transfer the u5-151-hacked.mfs to my new hard drive. Any help will be great, even if it is a link!

1) Read the series 2 forum (esp the stickies)

2) search for mfstool / mfs tools / mfstool 2.0 cd

static
07-21-2003, 11:51 PM
I already have the 2.0 cd I saved the hacked .mfs file to my c drive. I keep reading that the c drive has to be a fat 32 partition. I am currently running windows xp with ntfs. Do i have to make another partition or is there a way around it. I tred to mount the image and it is saying to specify the file type

fixn278
07-22-2003, 09:08 AM
I already have the 2.0 cd I saved the hacked .mfs file to my c drive. I keep reading that the c drive has to be a fat 32 partition. I am currently running windows xp with ntfs. Do i have to make another partition or is there a way around it. I tred to mount the image and it is saying to specify the file type

Sounds like you got your answer but just don't like it.

You will need a FAT partition (it does not need to be your C drive.) If you don't want to mess with your existing drive, add another small drive temporarily that you can remove later.

David Bought
07-22-2003, 10:54 AM

1) You can't mount an mfsbackup image (it's not a filesystem).

2) You might be able to mount an ntfs partition read-only if your kernel supports it but read-write is out of the question - figure out what partition number your C drive is and try it.

static
07-22-2003, 05:14 PM
Now the problem i have is it says that the backup target not large enough fro entire backup by itself. does anyone have any ideas?

Bomber
07-22-2003, 06:29 PM
Buy a 80GB Hard Drive. I think most of these U5 images with hacks are created with a 80GB.

plurranger
07-23-2003, 03:58 PM
When I restored my image from CD I used:

mount /dev/hdc /cdrom
cd /cdrom
mfstrestore -s 127 -xzpi /cdrom/40gb_image.mfs /dev/hda

it may be your invocation of the mfsrestore command..
also look to ingineers tivocommunity instructions on obtaining a bash prompt.. good section on implimenting the bootpage prompt so that you can access mfs partition 16 on a 120gb drive from and image that uses mfs partition 14 on a 40 gb drive.