PDA

View Full Version : An HDVR2 upgrade question

bobanon
07-23-2003, 09:54 AM
I recently bought 2 WD 160 GB drives to upgrade my HDVR2. According to the Hinsdale:

ATA and TiVo kernel confinements limit using at most 137GB (128GiB) of any drives installed in your TiVo. Larger drives may function but you are currently limited to a maximum of 2 drives x 137GB (128GiB) or 274GB (256GiB) of usable space.

So will my Tivo simply recognize the total capacity as 247GB of space and stop when it gets there? Or... Will it try to keep filling up the drives, thus screwing something up?

BubbleLamp
07-23-2003, 01:15 PM
Originally posted by bobanon
I recently bought 2 WD 160 GB drives to upgrade my HDVR2. According to the Hinsdale:

So will my Tivo simply recognize the total capacity as 247GB of space and stop when it gets there? Or... Will it try to keep filling up the drives, thus screwing something up?

It will just ignore the extra space.

MuscleNerd
07-23-2003, 03:37 PM
"mfstool mfsadd" (or any other invocation of mfstool that does the same thing) will gladly recognize space beyond the 137GB per-drive boundary, and the partition table will reflect that.

In my experience, the TiVo *will* attempt to use that space, too. And then slowly start to lose its mind. You lose bits and pieces of recordings, start getting reboots, etc.

Only after I revised the partition table to use a partition size < 137GB (and after doing a clear and reset all) did that TiVo get its mind back.

MuscleNerd
08-21-2003, 05:16 PM
Originally posted by MuscleNerd
"mfstool mfsadd" (or any other invocation of mfstool that does the same thing) will gladly recognize space beyond the 137GB per-drive boundary, and the partition table will reflect that.
In my experience, the TiVo *will* attempt to use that space, too. And then slowly start to lose its mind. You lose bits and pieces of recordings, start getting reboots, etc.
Okay, just for the record...I realize why I'm the only one who has seen this behavior. It's because I don't use mfstool from the boot CD like everyone else does. I use it straight from my Redhat system, which is large disk aware :)

If you boot from the current mfstool boot CD, which is not large disk aware, you'll have no problems (i.e. it'll ignore > 137GB).