PDA

View Full Version : Need help with new hard drive setup using mfstools

Yammer
07-23-2003, 11:47 PM
I have a new larger hard drive with a .bak image that a friend gave to me to put on it. I want to take my original hard drive out of my system and replace it with the larger drive and new image. OR keep the original and use it as a slave to the new one. Can you tell me how to do this using mfstools. I have read all the how to's and cannot seem to get a handle on it. Please help!

Thank you,
Yammer

Tommy
07-24-2003, 04:26 AM
Read this thread... http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=25579

If you are still lost,ask.

Yammer
07-24-2003, 02:41 PM
Here's the deal: I've read and read tons of forum posts, how-to's, and Mfstools 2.0.

It is not clear to me, anywhere, what steps to take to take a new 120GB hard drive and put a .bak image from my friend on it to swap out with my 40GB hard drive that is in my series 2 DSR7000 unit.

Will someone, anyone, please pm me or just post this process??? I have the Mfstools 2.0 boot cd, and a Fat32 partitioned hard drive in my computer. I want to take my new 120GB Seagate and install this .bak file that was given to me. How do I do this?

Thanks a million for any help,
Yammer

captain_video
07-24-2003, 02:42 PM
There's a readme file with mfstools that explains how to use it. Better yet, get a copy of Hinsdale's How To for using MFS Tools 2.0. It's more detailed than the mfstools readme file and covers every contingency of Tivo hard drive upgrades. You can get it from the link posted at the 9th Tee website on the Tivo Upgrades page. There are also links for backup Tivo images on the same page at the lower left side of the page.

Yammer
07-24-2003, 05:28 PM
Captain_Video,

Thanks for the information. I found exactly what I need to be able to give this a go. I do have one question that I was hoping you could help me with:

I have my .bak image from my friend that I want to use instead of the .bak that the backup will create. How will I access it and where (root dir) do I save it to? I'm not sure what the root directory is. I have win2000 with Fat32 file system.

Thanks for your help,
Yammer