PDA

View Full Version : OT: DVB-s PCI Cards?

Fugg
07-24-2003, 12:45 PM
Any one here ever heard of these buggers?

Any interest? I know they don't work for dtv, but it's the hdtv fta feeds I'm looking for, primarily

There's not a whole lot of users of these guys in the us, but I'm just checking.

Seems like there would be some overlap, worth a shot, eh?:)

whadoyathink?

mrblack51
07-25-2003, 09:52 AM
I have seen them. they look pretty cool overall. I know you can get dish, bev, and FTA stuff via them if you use the right software setup. can't use dtv due to the fact that they use dss, not dvb

Fugg
07-25-2003, 04:17 PM
I've had a bl2030 card for about a year now, but only found out that I could get software for it about 6 weeks ago. I soon "discovered" that it would only do 30mbps max bandwidth!
I broke down and bought a hauppauge nexus card about 3 weeks ago. The frigging thing is great!!!
It'll do the dvb-s domestic providers(dish&bev), but the biggest thing I was looking for was the backhaul feeds (syndicated shows, sports, the occasional concert...), 4:2:2 video, ac3 audio and hdtv feeds...
... with absolutely no restrictions on what I can and cannot record.:)

Since very few folks in the us are using these (they're not avaiable for sale in the us), I was hopeing that I could find a few folks around here with 'em to trade stories and info with.

It was worth a shot, anyway...

mrblack51
07-25-2003, 08:57 PM
do you need a BUD setup to snag the wild feeds? i am assuming yes. also, were you able to find a decent deal on the nexus? if so, where?

Fugg
07-26-2003, 10:20 AM
Yep, pretty much. Some of the ku stuff off of T5 and the like can be received with a 1 meter antenna, but for the most part, I'd suggest a 10 foot dish.

As far as a deal, anything I could find that didn't take 3 weeks to get to me was a pretty good deal to me.:)

There are a couple of places in canada to get them. I got mine from DvbMasters. (just add www and com) $225 +shipping. There are places that will shave off 25 bucks or so, but I wanted mine yesterday!!!! It's a small shop, but they're good dudes to work with.

I kinda went overboard with the nexus. It has a built-in mpeg hardware decoder which takes almost all of the load off the computer cpu. For doing 4:2:2 or hdtv, the hardware decoder does not work(4:2:0, MP@ML only), but you can run the card in software mode and do anything your cpu can keep up with. You can get a generic card for ~$100, but they don't have a hardware mpeg decoder.

Some folks think of the hardware decoder as un-necessary, but I was always an overkill kinda guy.;)

edit:
On the subject of the necessity of a built in mpeg decoder....
I have been fighting for the last couple of days trying to get a good vid card/filtergraph combination to work with hdtv feeds. Late last night I decided to say screw it for a while and record a few things overnight. Well, when I switched back to regular sd feed mode, the graphs were so screwed up that I could not get a stable picture no matter what I did! ARGH!!!!
Instead of beating my head against the wall trying to fix that at 2am, I simply switched to "hardware mode" and TaDa! Perfect video and audio.
In my opinion, it paid for itself right there!
:cool:
end edit

Doing some of the more exotic feeds can be quite a challenge (filtergraphs, configuration, pids,...) and even getting it to work normally can be a bear, but it's keeping me outta bars, so I guess it's not too bad.
:)

...and, as you know, it's just gotten too damn easy to whack on a tivo these days. I gotta have something that I have to fight to make work! gotta have that challenge!!!!
:cool:

edit, a week later:
Wow. I figured someone around here would have one of these things. Looks like I've found another lonely hobby....
;)