PDA

View Full Version : Just upgraded to Maxtor 120gig - Constant drive seek is so loud!

noc
07-28-2003, 03:23 PM
I just upgraded to a Maxtor 120GIG 7200rpm 8mb. Plugged it in and everything works but the drive seek is so loud and constant. Is this normal? Is it trying to adjust to the new drive ? Why is it seeking constantly and so loud? When the drive was in my PC it wasn't loud at all.

Chiun
07-28-2003, 05:37 PM
Maybe you just didn't notice how loud it really was, when it was in your PC? All the other sounds can drown out the noise very well.

On a side note, you might want to switch the drive over to quiet mode. Maxtor has a utility that will make the drive much more quiet. I forget what it is called though.

noc
07-28-2003, 05:49 PM
well.. the thing is. I have a Series 1 and that makes a drive spinning noise which is fine. The series 2 that I just got makes a chiga chiga noise of heavy drive seeking and writing. It's much louder than the normal writing noise.

Anybody know what that utility that Chiun is talking about?
Maybe I'll give that a shot

DblDamage
07-28-2003, 08:16 PM
It's the AMSET utility. You can find it here. (http://maxtor.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/maxtor.cfg/php/enduser/olh_adp.php?p_faqid=1200)

DblDamage

noc
07-29-2003, 01:04 AM
Thanks!! Made a major difference!! Thanks again!

Originally posted by DblDamage
It's the AMSET utility. You can find it here. (http://maxtor.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/maxtor.cfg/php/enduser/olh_adp.php?p_faqid=1200)

DblDamage

didjit
07-31-2003, 06:17 AM
Curious, have you noticed a difference in speed loading the Now Playing list (ie is it slower) after applying the "/quiet" switch?

Didjit

noc
08-05-2003, 09:29 AM
nope.. about the same.

i've also not notice much speed improvements from series 2 to the original directivo

ou812
10-30-2003, 06:03 PM
I just got a new maxtor 120gb and the seeking was sooo loud! It was just a constant clicking noise that never stopped. Much more than I ever heard from a drive before. I just used the AMSET utility and it made a huge difference, can't even hear it now.

Thanks.

Krokus
11-01-2003, 08:06 AM
To bad Seagate doesnt have anything like that. The drive that I bought was suppose to be quiet. Even recommended here by somebody. The constant clicking drives me crazy.

Krokus

SR712
11-01-2003, 09:39 AM
Someone mentioned to me that they found a utility in one of the Yahoo Groups that allegedly worked on the Barracuda V series. I don't belong to any there, so was never able to find it.

TriscuiT
11-26-2003, 02:15 PM
Was looking into this myself and found this (http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=26877&highlight=quiet+utility) thread. Llook for a post by "edpowers" for the utility that is supposed to work with some Seagate drives.

midnightmaraude
12-15-2003, 11:43 PM
Anyone know if this Amset works on WD drives?

120 gig WD drive here... I'm experiencing the same constant ticking. However on my other tivo series 2 using the original tivo drive I hear nothing.

nomailforjeff
02-01-2004, 02:17 PM
Anyone know if this Amset works on WD drives?

120 gig WD drive here... I'm experiencing the same constant ticking. However on my other tivo series 2 using the original tivo drive I hear nothing.

Amset will scan the IDE bus for Maxtor drives. KIt will refuse to work with non-Maxtor drives.

Some people have reported that the Hitachi drive acoustic management software ( IBM sold their drive division to Hitachi) will work with other drives.

Get the software here: http://www.hgst.com/downloads/ftool_v192.exe

ronnythunder
02-01-2004, 02:37 PM
yeah, featuretool (the hitachi/ibm thing) seems to work with about any drive that supports acoustic management.

ronny

lonaman
02-01-2004, 03:19 PM
I just got a new maxtor 120gb and the seeking was sooo loud! It was just a constant clicking noise that never stopped. Much more than I ever heard from a drive before. I just used the AMSET utility and it made a huge difference, can't even hear it now.

Thanks.

I have already installed a Maxtor drive as the second drive in my Series 1. Can I pull it and run the AMSET utility, or do you have to run the AMSET prior to installing it in the Tivo?

Thanks.

ronnythunder
02-01-2004, 03:32 PM
you can pull it and run amset. it's non-destructive.

ronny

SR712
02-01-2004, 11:45 PM
It is a DOS utility. You put the drive on your PC, boot from a floppy and run amset.

nomailforjeff
02-02-2004, 08:49 AM
I have already installed a Maxtor drive as the second drive in my Series 1. Can I pull it and run the AMSET utility, or do you have to run the AMSET prior to installing it in the Tivo?

Thanks.

You can pull the drive and run AMSET without affecting the TiVo information. AMSET 'talks' to the firmware of the drive, not the
media. It is similar to the CMOS or BIOS settings on a computer.