PDA

View Full Version : It sure SOUNDED simple!!!!

theonlyest
07-28-2003, 10:31 PM
@&$^#%!!!

OK so, I read the thread for newbies and it actually is simple and makes sense!!

SO, all excited I run out and buy a 120G HD and download all the ISO's and burn them onto CD.... I tear apart my Tivo and my PC and i'm ready to make this happen... I printed and followed the instructions to the letter, I have my shiny new HD in place, the BIOS correctly sees it, I set the BIOS to 1st boot from CD and the xtreme 2.5 is in the CD-ROM... I boot .... and get THIS --->

"OPERATING SYSTEM NOT FOUND"

Now i'm back to pissed and confused again..... %$#$@$&^!!

SR712
07-28-2003, 10:36 PM
You will need to develop more patience if you are serious about this. No reason to be pissed. Try changing the boot options to only boot from CD. Disable all other boot options.

theonlyest
07-28-2003, 10:40 PM
no can do... my BIOS shows 4 boot devices, all you can do is move them around in different order by using the - & + keys.
I have my 2 system HD's removed and theres no disk in the A: drive.... the CD-ROM is basically the only thing there!!

SR712
07-28-2003, 10:55 PM
Is it a master or slave? Sometimes that makes a difference.

Try booting from some other known good bootable CD, like Norton Systemworks disk or something like that. That should let you know if it is a problem with your CD or just a machine problem.

theonlyest
07-28-2003, 11:07 PM
its set as master... my PC normally has 2 HD's in it... I removed them both, so the only HD in my PC is the new blank drive.

I can boot from anything BUT this CD.

I have been working with PC's for 20 years and I have never had the instance to boot from a CD with nothing but 1 .iso file on it... I didnt see how that was considered a bootable disk... but I believed what I read in the instructions and went for it.
Ive gotta be missing something here!!

fixn278
07-28-2003, 11:13 PM
Originally posted by theonlyest

I have been working with PC's for 20 years and I have never had the instance to boot from a CD with nothing but 1 .iso file on it... I didnt see how that was considered a bootable disk...

You can't burn the iso file directly to the cd. An iso is an image file. You need to use Nero or Roxio and select Write CD from image file. When you are done, there will be many files.

theonlyest
07-28-2003, 11:18 PM
well geee.... thats a pretty important detail.... I have no idea what that means or how to do that...
1 thing I do know is, I dont have Nero or Roxio, i'm back to screwed again. i'm SO aggrevated...

cobelli
07-28-2003, 11:25 PM
First off, As has been said, chill out. Unbootable cds is only the first of MANY problems you will encounter. Take a look at the forum, it exists because people have problems.

As for your problem:
Nero has a free demo version. I believe it is fully functional for 30 days. Go here http://www.nero.com/us/nero-prog.php for it. Under the file menu is an option "burn image". Just select the iso and it will take care of the rest. Even still, though, I had a similar problem. My bios sounds like your in that you can only move around the order. I found, even if the cdrom was the first boot device, if it did not find a hard drive with an operating system on it, it would not boot the cd.

Hope this helps,
- Cobelli

theonlyest
07-28-2003, 11:42 PM
Originally posted by cobelli
My bios sounds like your in that you can only move around the order. I found, even if the cdrom was the first boot device, if it did not find a hard drive with an operating system on it, it would not boot the cd.

So uhh... how did you boot from the xtreme image???

20MB Nero downloading on my nifty 40Kbps dialup connection... Cya in a few hours!

cobelli
07-29-2003, 12:01 AM
Attach a hard drive with a OS

- Cobelli

BubbleLamp
07-29-2003, 12:10 AM
So uhh... how did you boot from the xtreme image???

20MB Nero downloading on my nifty 40Kbps dialup connection... Cya in a few hours!

If you burn the ISO image correctly, the CD will be bootable.

captain_video
07-29-2003, 01:56 PM
Boot problems from a CD-ROM can be one of several issues, many of which have already been covered but some that haven't.

1. Make sure you've got your BIOS set so that the CD-ROM is the 1st boot device. Just cycle through the devices using the +/- keys until the CD-ROM drive is the first one in the order of devices.

2. Make sure you only have one CD-ROM drive connected to your IDE bus. More than one CD drive will confuse the Linux OS when you tell it to run a program from the CD. It won't know which one to access.

3. Make sure the CD you burned is bootable. As stated, it's an iso image and must be burned to CD accordingly. It's always a good idea to test it in your PC before attaching any Tivo drives.

4. Make sure your CD drive will boot properly. Some CD drives just plain don't want to boot from a Linux CD. If you keep getting errors while booting then try a different CD drive.

5. Make sure you have a good image for writing to CD-R. 2.5Xtreme images tend to get hosed very easily and can cause boot or installation problems if not downloaded and burned with no errors. A wideband connection for downloading the iso image is almost a necessity for this to occur. If you don't have a wideband connection then see if you have a friend that can download the image for you.

6. If booting with a hard drive attached, make sure it is NOT a drive with an NTFS filesystem (i.e. Windows 2000 or NT). If you inadvertently boot into Windows with either of these filesystems and your Tivo drive attached to the bus the OS will write some data to the boot partition of the drive and render it unusable as a Tivo drive. Use a drive formatted with FAT16 or FAT32 partitions for creating backups and restoring to a Tivo drive.

P.S. Check out the download links in my posts on page 3 of the How Tos Only sticky. You'll find a link to a site for downloading just about any CD burning software currently available.

cobelli
07-29-2003, 02:54 PM
Nice list, but you are still missing one. I know it is strange, but absolutely true. Using a bootable cd-rom in a bootable cd-rom drive set to be the first boot device, this old pII computer I use for hacking still won't boot from the cd unless a hard drive with OS is found. No hard drive and I get a "cannot find OS", attach the hard drive and it boots from the cd. Strange, but true. Believe me, it caused alot of headaches.

- Cobelli

Hi8
07-29-2003, 06:23 PM

I have been working with PC's for 20 years ....

and you don't know what an .iso file is? to the point that it requires burning software from an images file?

something's fishy with this story... as I have been working with PC's since 1979 ... math math is fuzzy... and paid $800+ for my first CDROM drive (HITACHI) 1speed. shortly there after I knew what an .iso file was.....

don't get pissed, crack a book and do some research.

tkole
07-29-2003, 08:54 PM
I just don't get it. This guy obviously has not read anything yet you guys are spoon feeding him. I read like crazy and ask questions that I can't find answers to using the search button, and nobody responds.

theonlyest
07-29-2003, 11:17 PM
just a status report on my nightmare.... 1st off, my $400 HP CD Writer Plus 7200 that I bought back in 1998 hasnt worked as a burner (reads only) since the day I upgraded to XP Pro. I figured I just needed new drivers and this was as good a time as any to get that done. Well, it turns out that there is NOW WAY to make this specific burner work with XP Pro, so off I went to buy a NEW #&%#@ CD-RW. I installed my nifty new 52x-24x-52x Memorex CD-RW and much to my continued dismay, XP locks up on the splash screen and wont start.... as soon as I pull the IDE cable from the CD-RW, it boots right up again!! So I exchanged what I assumed was a bad drive, and the exact same thing happened. SO obviously my system and XP pro refuse to accept a CD-RW into my world.... so i'm light almost $300 and i'm no closer to hacking my DTIVO than when I 1st logged onto this forum.

I have a feeling my chipset/motherboard just wont support any type of enhanced CD drive with XP pro (my new DVD-ROM secondary master locks XP also)

My PC config (built it myself) : Intel Jabil 443BX AGPset, PIII 650Mhz, 256 RAM.
Primary IDE channel : WD 80G (primary C), WD 8G (slave D)
Secondary IDE channel : I tried every possible config for my CD-RW (and the new DVD-ROM I bought to use a master) including using ONLY the new CD-RW set as Master and even tried setting it as CABLE SELECT!!

BubbleLamp
07-29-2003, 11:30 PM
just a status report on my nightmare.... 1st off, my $400 HP CD Writer Plus 7200 that I bought back in 1998 hasnt worked as a burner (reads only) since the day I upgraded to XP Pro. I figured I just needed new drivers and this was as good a time as any to get that done. Well, it turns out that there is NOW WAY to make this specific burner work with XP Pro, so off I went to buy a NEW #&%#@ CD-RW. I installed my nifty new 52x-24x-52x Memorex CD-RW and much to my continued dismay, XP locks up on the splash screen and wont start.... as soon as I pull the IDE cable from the CD-RW, it boots right up again!! So I exchanged what I assumed was a bad drive, and the exact same thing happened. SO obviously my system and XP pro refuse to accept a CD-RW into my world.... so i'm light almost $300 and i'm no closer to hacking my DTIVO than when I 1st logged onto this forum.

I have a feeling my chipset/motherboard just wont support any type of enhanced CD drive with XP pro (my new DVD-ROM secondary master locks XP also)

My PC config (built it myself) : Intel Jabil 443BX AGPset, PIII 650Mhz, 256 RAM.
Primary IDE channel : WD 80G (primary C), WD 8G (slave D)
Secondary IDE channel : I tried every possible config for my CD-RW (and the new DVD-ROM I bought to use a master) including using ONLY the new CD-RW set as Master and even tried setting it as CABLE SELECT!!

No offense dude, but them 20 years don't seem to have been inside a PC. :eek:

cobelli
07-29-2003, 11:38 PM
download all the ISO's and burn them onto CD

Umm... Maybe it is just me, but how the hell did you burn the isos in the first place if your burner doesnt work?

And seriously, chill out. Before you attempt hacking again, I suggest you read a book on pcs, because if you can't burn a cd, you are going to have a hard time navigating linux.

- Cobelli

theonlyest
07-29-2003, 11:48 PM
Originally posted by BubbleLamp
No offense dude, but them 20 years don't seem to have been inside a PC. :eek:

Of course not... I started with a Sinclair ZX81 back in 1982! TRS-80's, Apple IIe & c, TI99-4a, IBM PC-jr, 286's, and my 1st 386sx-25 back in 1993. I may not be the hardware master... but i'll bet I can write freehand HTML code circles around anyone who reads this!!
Ive built dozens of PC's from the ground up, INCLUDING the one i'm typing this on, and the 7 workstation network that makes my company function everyday.

Whats your point anyway?? do YOU have a solution for my problem?? I doubt it since the IT guys at microsoft AND intel are still scratching thier heads!!

I have taken the advice of the advanced guys here and i'm TRYING to pull off this hack on my own... and I WILL!! The continuous slams from the peanut gallery are totally uncalled for and unwarranted.... offense taken!

theonlyest
07-29-2003, 11:53 PM
Umm... Maybe it is just me, but how the hell did you burn the isos in the first place if your burner doesnt work?

And seriously, chill out. Before you attempt hacking again, I suggest you read a book on pcs, because if you can't burn a cd, you are going to have a hard time navigating linux.

- Cobelli

I burned the iso's on my system at work because I have cable modem there...
I READ the hack info and used a high speed connection to download!! The plan was to bring the files home and do the rest here.
I know HOW to burn a CD... as I explained, the problem is a compatibility issue with CD-RW I bought and my PC. I work it out even if I end up upgrading my motherboard.

BubbleLamp
07-30-2003, 12:12 AM
Some folks have reported compatibility issues with ISO9660 disks. You might try burning as Joliet if you haven't already.

PS For the record, I do all my HTML coding by hand. :D

Hi8
07-30-2003, 05:18 AM
but i'll bet I can write freehand HTML code circles around anyone who reads this!!

HTML ... hum.

you are hanging your 20 years on that. as already stated, if you can't even get a CDRW working - you probably need another 20.

and using HTML as a measuring stick, is a bit much. Kinda like a graphic artist claiming to be a computer expert.

I belive the solution you need is one of the upgrade services that will build you a HD for your tivo already configured. Try here (http://www.pvrupgrade.com/) or 9th tee.

ou812
07-30-2003, 11:42 AM
Originally posted by tkole
I just don't get it. This guy obviously has not read anything yet you guys are spoon feeding him. I read like crazy and ask questions that I can't find answers to using the search button, and nobody responds.

This is so true. Like this guy actually read anything!! and then 20 people respond with the same answer!!! Here we are the somewhat intelligent guys asking questions and they go unanswered. Make me wonder.

fixn278
07-30-2003, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by ou812
This is so true. Like this guy actually read anything!! and then 20 people respond with the same answer!!! Here we are the somewhat intelligent guys asking questions and they go unanswered. Make me wonder.

Uh.. aren't you they one that tried "all day" to apply BlissTerPopper to an S2 unit even after having read the readme twice?

And exactly which question did you ask that no-one answered?

fixn278
07-30-2003, 12:03 PM
Originally posted by tkole

As far as I can tell, you had one question that nobody posted an answer to. Other than that, it appears that people have tried to help you just as much as anyone else and there are even some extensive discussions based on your questions.

No-one is obligated to answer you, they do it because they enjoy the hobby and want to help.

theonlyest
07-30-2003, 12:15 PM
What is it with you guys??? (not you Fixn278) I havnt even gotten to the burning of the image files yet, and you guys are all about me not reading stuff!! I KNOW what I need to do, I just need to get my system working right BEFORE I can get started!
I dont spend my time posting insults about ANY of you guys, whats your problem ???
Didnt your mommy's teach you the one about " if you dont have anything nice to say...."
Why dont we get off hassleing me about my computer experience and talk about hacking Tivo's!

Just a reminder, I have been a Directv dealer for almost 9 years, and a hughes service center for 2 years... I have things you guys need and I may be able to help YOU with things down the road... i'm also a certified expert technician and highly recognized as such, i'm happy to help you guys in this area if you need it... so lay off the smartass remarks please.

ou812
07-30-2003, 12:18 PM
Originally posted by fixn278
Uh.. aren't you they one that tried "all day" to apply BlissTerPopper to an S2 unit even after having read the readme twice?

And exactly which question did you ask that no-one answered?

I am the guy who is trying to make heads and tails of all this ........stuff. Thats who I am.

In regards to using the blisspopper on an S2, yes you were correct in that it is for an S1. I was not able to pull the "bold" clues left in the readme. Gee-whiz.

And I'm just talkin about in general that alot of others questions that n00b's post are left unanswered or are scolded for not "reading" enough. I'm just disgusted at this point. I am actually afraid to post, imo, a legit question for fear of being flamed. I don't know where this post is going.

fixn278
07-30-2003, 12:29 PM
I am the guy who is trying to make heads and tails of all this ........stuff. Thats who I am.

In regards to using the blisspopper on an S2, yes you were correct in that it is for an S1. I was not able to pull the "bold" clues left in the readme. Gee-whiz.

And I'm just talkin about in general that alot of others questions that n00b's post are left unanswered or are scolded for not "reading" enough. I'm just disgusted at this point. I am actually afraid to post, imo, a legit question for fear of being flamed. I don't know where this post is going.

My response wasn't to continue rubbing in the S1/S2 issue, mistakes happen to all of us.

My issue was your comparison implied some of the newbies were not intelligent. I was just pointing out that no matter how smart we think we are (or are for that matter) we are all subject to careless mistakes/stupid questions/brain farts.

Yes, sometimes we are all a bit harsh on the newbies, but many people spend a lot of time answering the same questions over and over. Even in the nastiest of remarks, there is almost always an answer included as well.

From my observations, very few questions go unanswered. Maybe the person with the answer had a bad day, the post dropped off the first page of the board, and it went unnoticed. I think if you look back at the history of the board, while the answers may seem short or delayed, almost everyone gets an answer.

theonlyest
07-30-2003, 12:30 PM
I am actually afraid to post, imo, a legit question for fear of being flamed.

I feel the same way bro, and its because of people like YOU! ... cant we all get along?? this is just stupid!
This is a Tivo hacking forum, NOT a pissing contest! Just keep your negative remarks to yourself and i'm sure everything will get ok again.

cobelli
07-30-2003, 01:16 PM
First of all, the insults started because of the attitude you began your post with. I personally am not compelled to be friendly to someone who is cursing and ranting. In addition:

well geee.... thats a pretty important detail....
Then with this quote you implied that it was somebody elses fault that you do not know how to burn an iso. Compound that with your constant bragging about your computer skills and you are asking for trouble.

There is no reason to be afraid to ask a question here. MOst people, even if they ask a newb question that has been answered time and time againl, won't get flamed. Generally, flames start because you started the thread rudely, as addressed above. Generally, it is a friendly group of people willing to help. Ask a friendly question, and 9 times out of 10 you will get a friendly answer. For instance, if theonlyest had ended a single one of his posts with "please help", this probably would have gone alot smoother. True every once in a while you get someone who is just an ass, but even then what is the worst that happens? Your post gets a rude reply.

Allthough i must say, fixn278, even though you did kind of apologize, your first post was uncalled for. We all have our stupid moments.

And finally, the reason this post got so much attention is because it was easy. Sometimes questions go unanswered because no body knows the answer. Some problems are obscure and particular to one system. All though, if you are patient enough, most questions get answered eventually.

- Cobelli

fixn278
07-30-2003, 01:28 PM
Allthough i must say, fixn278, even though you did kind of apologize, your first post was uncalled for. We all have our stupid moments.

- Cobelli

Actually, I didn't apologize.

I thought that the post had some improper assumptions, and I said so in a roundabout way. As I stated previously, the intent wasn't to insult ou812, just to show that we all make mistakes, as I think I stated that clearly in my follow-up. Maybe there was a little more sarcasm than people liked, but that's the way I am. If ou812 is offended by it (although I suspect not) I am always available to take a conversation offline and discuss in private.

By they way, just to show you that each person sees things differently, I assumed the followup saying "gee thats a pretty important detail" was more of a revelation than a sarcastic remark, and as such, I thought it was humorous, not offensive.

Whether this guy believes he's a computer expert or not is beside the point, this thread has gotten a little rough. I for one, am not going to waste anyone else's time with any more non-technical chatter. If I can help I will. If I can't, I will move on.

andrewc
07-30-2003, 04:59 PM
I shared the exact same pain a couple of weeks ago. At least you got a response from your post. My CD-RW won't boot from the Linux CD either.

Here is your solution: boot from a floppy. Why not? You can still upgrade using a floppy compared to the CD.

See ya,
AC

Hi8
07-30-2003, 05:27 PM
it's really hard not to flame a guy that flaunts his YEARS of experience in ALL kinds of areas, then ask questions that are newbie - don't REALLY know what the FU&k your talking about!

try starting with an AOL account ... and a personal webpage. Do yourself a favor and leave your TiVO alone.

I'm sure you're telling your OTHER 'friend(s)' you've been hacking your TiVo for YEARS!

SR712
07-30-2003, 07:40 PM
theonlyest-

Sorry you are having trouble with this... It seems odd, but it all seems ide related. Have you tried a new ide cable, just for grins? I have had a surprising number of them go bad on me over the last year, for no good reason, either.

I'm also sorry about the bad feelings here, maybe we can all start over, get this problem fixed, and move on. I think the heat's gettin' to all of us. :D

theonlyest
07-31-2003, 02:18 AM
Originally posted by Hi8
it's really hard not to flame a guy that flaunts his YEARS of experience in ALL kinds of areas,
Unless your an azzhole...

[i]try starting with an AOL account ... and a personal webpage.[/B]
I have both, been an AOL member since 1994... lets see how smart YOU are and see if you can find my webpage!

[i]I'm sure you're telling your OTHER 'friend(s)' you've been hacking your TiVo for YEARS! [/B]
I have 3 letters for you Hi8... G F Y

Congrats Hi8, your the 1st jerkoff that has forced me to INTENTIONALLY lash out at somone on this board... ive had enough of this 3rd grade BS.

PS. thanks to the nice and cool guys who hang here... SR712, Fixn278, etc.
at the very least, as a result of solving my CD-RW issues, I have upgraded to Pentium4 2.4Ghz. I'll seek help elsewhere.

JJBliss
07-31-2003, 02:13 PM
Well that last comment from emuman100 was uncalled for - So I deleted it. I caution emuman100 to refrain from posts like that in public. If you'd like to berate someone, do it in PM.

Anyway, this thread has degenerated into an attack and counter-attack thread. It no longer contains any usefull information.

theonlyest:

If you are interested in support or advice on your current problem, please start another thread, articulate your specific questions (without the frustration) and I'm sure that those who want to help, will.

For now, - THREAD CLOSED-