PDA

View Full Version : Why cant i get bash?

static
07-29-2003, 06:21 PM
I have a hdvr2 and upgraded to a 120 gig using the u5-151-hacked.mfs. i cannot get a bash promt though. Is there any addition steps i have to make to enable bash on that image?

ou812
07-29-2003, 11:09 PM
I'm in the same boat. From the file name I gathered a hacked image did all the "fun linux stuff" for you but I was mislead from the name.
Even though I have a good cable and echo in hyperterminal I am clueless how to fix it and more so what to do after I do get it working. I read and read. I was capable enough to get the image, burn it and load it onto a 120gb hd but that seems to be the extent of my current knowledge on the subject. I know this don't help you but I just wanted to say it.

I am a fish out of water

mrblack51
07-29-2003, 11:18 PM
if all you did was the mfsrestore using that image, then its not going to get you bash. reading the instructions related to that image will turn up what is required. of course, you could simply follow one of the many step by step guides, and at the same time gain an understanding of how stuff works so that when it breaks, you can have a chance at fixing it. either way, good luck

static
07-31-2003, 06:27 PM
Thanks Mr Black,

My question now is, What is the whole point of using the u5-151-hacked.mfs if you still have to hack it?

mrblack51
08-01-2003, 12:46 AM
Originally posted by static
Thanks Mr Black,

My question now is, What is the whole point of using the u5-151-hacked.mfs if you still have to hack it?

there is no such thing as a single step hack. no matter what, it will require steps to download, run, etc. this hack requires one or two commands to finish the install.

why does it exist? because someone decided to throw it together and share? is it a good thing? eh, its got pluses and minuses. it detracts from those who might learn by following a more detailed guide, and increases support issues where there is no understanding of how stuff is put together. on the other hand, it helps the "everyman" who doesnt have time to devote to in depth exploration.

this board is more of a dev board, so we always encourage exploration and such, but we also understand that everyone cant do everything

ruckus
10-20-2003, 07:50 PM
Mr. Black wrote:

this hack requires one or two commands to finish the install

Can someone save me a little time and tell me where I can find the commands to finish the install?

Thanks

mrblack51
10-20-2003, 08:20 PM
check the s2 hacking faq which is stickied

ruckus
10-21-2003, 04:12 PM
Ok, I read the guide and still no bash. All I get are feedback characters in Tera Term with settings on 9600 and 115200.

I checked my partition which is hdc14.

I ran -
genromfs -f /romfs.img -d img/

Then ran
dd if=/romfs.img of=/dev/hdc14 bs=1024 count=1
with the correct result output of - 1+0 records in" and "1+0 records out

Since I am using the hacked.mfs I skipped the part about creating the hackinit and sbin. They were already in the correct place. I did cat the hackinit to check that everything was correct. And listed sbin to verify they were there.
I then did the hook with this command (correct ` and spaces were correct)
cd /cdrom
bootpage -P "root=/dev/hda7 BASH_ENV=\`mount\$IFS-n\$IFS/dev/hda14\$IFS/mnt;echo\$IFS/mnt/hacks\`" -C /dev/hdc

The result gave me the paragraph of "....".

I skipped the driver and ftpd install. For now I'm just trying to get bash.

Any ideas?

Nuke2000
10-21-2003, 05:17 PM
befor you do

cd /cdrom
bootpage -P "root=/dev/hda7 BASH_ENV=\`mount\$IFS-n\$IFS/dev/hda14\$IFS/mnt;echo\$IFS/mnt/hacks\`" -C /dev/hdc

but the tivo drive back in tivo turn it on. let it do it's stuff take it out then do

cd /cdrom

David Bought
10-21-2003, 05:24 PM
All I get are feedback characters

The serial line should not be looped back. Figure out exactly when this happens (always? when the unit is on? when the cable is plugged in? a minute after the unit is powered on?) in order to troubleshoot it. This could be a serial cable problem.

Also you forgot console=2,115200 dsscon=true. If it's missing from whatever documentation you are following, please contact the half-wit author and get it fixed.

ruckus
10-21-2003, 07:44 PM
Thanks - I did it a second time and got bash. Works great.

Sleeper
10-21-2003, 11:41 PM
Originally posted by David Bought
Also you forgot console=2,115200 dsscon=true. If it's missing from whatever documentation you are following, please contact the half-wit author and get it fixed.

David,

Couldn't you have just provided the information without trashing the author of the HOWTO? I don't want this thread to degrade into another pissing match - and personally I don't have an issue with you. I understand the underlying reasons for many of your sarcastic responses on this board. But it gets tiresome listening to your constant sarcasm and it serves no purpose. You would be better liked if you changed your demeaner.

David Bought
10-22-2003, 12:22 AM
Originally posted by Sleeper
Couldn't you have just provided the information without trashing the author of the HOWTO?

I trashed nobody. I merely pointed out that a correction needed to be made so that in the future, users have all of the information they need to troubleshoot problems.

You would be better liked if you changed your demeaner.

My self-worth is based on how well I uphold my values, not on what others think. Especially a bunch of pseudononymous strangers on the internet.

Sleeper
10-22-2003, 01:21 AM
Dear Cobelli,

Could you please update your guide to include the
dsscon and console parameters to the bootpage command.

This would prevent many from asking questions.

Thanks,

Sleeper

PS: Notice that I did this without calling you a half-wit author.

ruckus
10-22-2003, 11:29 AM
Well, I thought all was good but I've still got problems. I installed the drive in the Tivo to test and got bash. I then hooked it up to satellite in and rebooted and lost bash. So I tried the install again and got the same results.

Why would I be losing bash? It appears that it is reversing any changes that I've made including wiping out /var.

jimmypopali69
10-26-2003, 12:34 AM
lets see, just a shot in the dark here but have you hacked the prom? if no it will wipe var every boot of everything that doesnt have the sig in it, if yes then i have no clue, heck i may have no clue now, just a shot in the dark.

Jimmy

joemonty
12-03-2003, 09:56 PM
Anyone solve this issue?

GREEK
12-04-2003, 02:20 AM
been solved for a while now........3 choices, monte, bash-env, or pull the prom and flash it, then reattach......easy as 1-2-3