PDA

View Full Version : Series 1 or series 2?

Mister Beefhead
07-31-2003, 10:45 PM
Hey all, brand-newbie here. I'm just starting to read up on the procedures used to do a little DTivo hacking, but I thought I'd ask this before I got too far: What is better to start with in terms of hackability (with emphasis on video extraction), ease, and useability, a series 1 or a series 2? I have either avilable to me and was just wondering which to soup up first.

Many thanks.

BubbleLamp
07-31-2003, 11:35 PM
Series 1's are generally easier to hack.

FauxCaster
08-01-2003, 03:06 AM
I've been researching this question also. Someone correct me if I'm wrong:

Series 1:

PRO: easy hacking
PRO: no encryption options technically more within the LETTER of the DMCA, even though extraction is still within the SPIRIT of FAIR USE anyway
PRO: cheaper (sort of, unless you add the $70 turbonet)
PRO: faster ethernet file transfers via turbonet than the usb bridge in S2

CON: slower processor
CON: less ram
CON: older machine, more hours in use = less life
CON: tivo could EOL service to S1 and not S2 (not anytime soon, too many still in use)

JJBliss
08-01-2003, 07:54 AM
Originally posted by FauxCaster
I've been researching this question also. Someone correct me if I'm wrong:

Series 1:

PRO: no encryption options technically more within the LETTER of the DMCA, even though extraction is still within the SPIRIT of FAIR USE anyway

CON: tivo could EOL service to S1 and not S2 (not anytime soon, too many still in use)

Yeah... You're wrong.

Series 1:

yes

Nope, you're thinking of a Stand Alone unit. All DTivos have their video streams encrypted.

Nope. Harder to find, so the commodoty price increases, not decreases

Probably

All might be true, but I wouldn't worry about it.

ou812
08-01-2003, 05:01 PM
I have a question. What cannot be done right now on a S2 Dtivo that is freely done on a S1 unit in terms of hacking. Or maybe more importantly what cannot be done unless you have a great deal of knowledge on the subject.

mrblack51
08-01-2003, 05:45 PM
Originally posted by ou812
I have a question. What cannot be done right now on a S2 Dtivo that is freely done on a S1 unit in terms of hacking. Or maybe more importantly what cannot be done unless you have a great deal of knowledge on the subject.

well, some of the extraction stuff is still bleeding edge on the s2, while it is well defined on the s1. also, you can't flash the prom without soldering on s2 units. because of that, you have to use software trickery, which is more involved than the simple killinitrd which is possible on an s1 once you flash the prom