PDA

View Full Version : Sat detection stuck at 28%

pidhead
08-02-2003, 02:23 AM
I'm pulling my hair out. I have two T60s that I had not enabled dual tuner on yet. Three that I have done previously with no problems.

So today, I get the cabling set for the remaining two, and run through the guided setup again. No problems with signal strength, so I move on to the sat detection screen. They both consistently get to 28% and then just sit there. Thinking there was something wrong with the cabling, and I'd just go back to what worked, they do the same thing with the original cabling and single tuner connected!

So, I thought about what might have changed to cause this. There were some CAM errors in a log file, so I thought maybe noscramble module was causing that and turned it off. No change. Does not having a phone line mess with some of the non-Tivo DirecTV calls that might enable this feature?

Has anyone else experienced this?

These are 3.1 with tivoweb and that kind of thing.

Thanks

swinokur
08-02-2003, 03:41 AM
I saw something similar to this happen once on my T-60 after a reboot. The unit had been working fine, I rebooted it - got stuck somewhat further along (80%?) -- its been a while.

So one thing you can do to check what is going on is to hit the "thumbsup" key on the remote when tivo starts getting satellite info. It will show (in somewhat tiny text) diagnostic information on the bottom of the screen.

When my tivo was having problems I noticed that the last piece of this text said "lock=false" instead of "lock=true."

Another piece of diagnostic work you can do is to get into the menus and go to the satellite setup - and look at the signal strength. See if your signal is as strong as it used to be, and on the same transponders. (I have actually taken to writing it down occassionally so I have some basis for comparison). On the day my tivo was freaking out, I had lost signal on some transponders. It's possible that I managed to reboot right at the time that DirecTV was experiencing some "issues."

How did mine get fixed? Well, it eventually fixed itself after a few reboots and some muttered swearing under my breath.

I believe that this is *purely* a satellite signal thing, and has very little to do with anything else on tivo. (e.g. noscramble, phone line connected, etc.) [Now if you've been playing with Tivo's "Naughty Bits" - that could be a different kettle of fish]

One final thought - what is your cabling like? You are using switches and not splitters, right?

pidhead
08-02-2003, 02:11 PM
Yes, switches -- not splitters.

I think you might be right about a DirecTV problem rather than local. I'll try again today and see what happens.

The only transponders on 101 that were not normal (not there in this case) were 4, 12, 20, 26 which I looked up and they seem to be local channels. Possibly spot beams that aren't for my area (Seattle)

I don't have anything unusual running. No xplusz or any "naughty" stuff. I saw a few people with similar, but not identical problems who had move channels and stuff on -- I don't have any of that.

I'll try again today, and if still no worky, will do a full reload and see what happens.

Thanks for the input.

MuscleNerd
08-02-2003, 02:52 PM
A satellite dealer on AVS is reporting that many customers are seeing this problem.

The fastest way to boot until the problem is fixed is to boot without the satellite cables plugged into the box. Then choose the 'fix it later' option that will be presented to you, and plug the cables back in after that.

ekati
08-02-2003, 03:24 PM
Originally posted by MuscleNerd
A satellite dealer on AVS is reporting that many customers are seeing this problem.

The fastest way to boot until the problem is fixed is to boot without the satellite cables plugged into the box. Then choose the 'fix it later' option that will be presented to you, and plug the cables back in after that.

this makes no sense. If it is stuck and can't aquire all 100% data how could you bypass it?

I can't watch anything, not even from transponders that i do get signal from.

MuscleNerd
08-02-2003, 07:47 PM
Okay, and after you convinced yourself it made no sense, did you try it?

All I can say is, it works for people.

By the way, it makes perfect sense to me. Obviously, for the people that are using this to get past the problem, the software looks for something in the data stream at powerup that it doesn't strictly need. This check isn't performed after the software has come all the way up after they tell it to skip over the problem during powerup.

pidhead
08-02-2003, 08:04 PM
I was sceptical too, since I didn't just want to return to where I was, I needed to make a config change.

I called DTV and they walked me through this same procedure. it all works, and it changed the things I needed changed -- from single to dual tuner, and two sat to only 101.

She said I could run through guided setup again if I needed to change anything since the problem had been solved, but I think I'll leave it since it is working.

Apparently the "detect sat" page is for troubleshooting your connections, and is not actually needed to produce the channel mapping for the guide.

ekati
08-02-2003, 09:17 PM
well, i'm stumped i just played with it for another hour. There is no way i can get past it wanting to aquire the info, it goes to 26% and quits. I get no signal on tr30 or tr32 either.

Can someone walk me thru this? please?

swinokur
08-02-2003, 10:17 PM
I'm wondering if your tivo is maybe seeing a heat related issue?

What does "system information" say about the internal temperature?

Is your tivo in a cabinet? Extra hard drives? Anything like that?

You also might just leave it unplugged for a little while.

Y'know, I believe when I saw this problem I was missing transponders in the 30s as well. All I can say is, after a bunch of power-cycles and some muttered incantations under my breath, it went away...

pidhead
08-02-2003, 10:32 PM
Originally posted by ekati
well, i'm stumped i just played with it for another hour. There is no way i can get past it wanting to aquire the info, it goes to 26% and quits. I get no signal on tr30 or tr32 either.

Can someone walk me thru this? please?

Yours might be a different issue than the one I was having.

These are the steps I went through.

1) remove sat 1 and sat 2 input cables from back of receiver

2) power cycle the box, then go through the set up process as normal without the sat inputs connected

3) when you get the "!important! error" message, select "go on, I'll solve later"

4) at the ( ) 0% screen, reconnect your sat 1 and sat 2 and away you go.

ekati
08-02-2003, 11:10 PM
Thanks for the step-by-step. Still didn't work though. Two different ppl with two different 6000's.
At the ( ) 0% complete screen we reconnect the sat in's and it goes to 26 or 27% then it says.
Retry
or
change settings
or
go to tivo central

if i go to tivo central and pick live tv it trys to re-aquire again at the ( ) 0% complete screen again.

Do you get HBO? We stopped getting HBO a few days back when transponder 30 and 32 disappeared. It's the same on all my irds so i know it's no the 6000's problem and i know it's not an issue with the cabling, dish, etc.
Thats one thing bad about the tivos, if you are missing a few transponders you can't watch any live tv :( even the channels on working transponders.
Thanbks for helping.

cali
08-03-2003, 11:53 PM
def tuner

ekati
08-04-2003, 12:04 PM
Originally posted by cali
def tuner

If your replying to me your wrong. The same transponders are missing on atleast 20-25 irds that i know of.

74bug
08-04-2003, 01:42 PM
The same problem with my Tivo happened to me on Friday evening when my power went out for a minute forcing a reboot. It was stuck on the acquiring screen at 26% like others posts. Tried many of the things suggested with no results. Put back a virgin Tivo drive to see if it would work on Saturday evening and it booted up but with the Didn't get info for all channels message,chose fix it later, Tivo came on working as before. In checking, the wrong type of dish was selected on this orginal Tivo drive. It was set for multiple sats and LNB. I have the old round duel feed LNB RCA type. When I changed it to the round type,it got stuck on the 26% again. I put the old drives back in and reset the dish setup to the multiple dish setting and after severals reboots the fix it later screen came up,choose it and its been working . In a different way it got the same results as booting with no cables connected. I also deleated the program guide and sesion passes before doing this. Looking around Forums this seems to be DTV messing with their sats issues. I always had a good signal on 30 and 32 thou. I do have a tuner that does not get some channels but has been like this for a year.

stinkymarbles
08-04-2003, 11:46 PM
I am in the same boat. Seems to me some of you missed the point of the original poster on this thread.

I just finished upgrading my T60 to 2.5.2 extreme and xplusz. I ran 2 wires from a dual lnb dish to the sat t60. I did as instructed and tried to do guided setup. BOTH, I REPEAT BOTH signal meters showed good signal. I also verified that both LNBs are working with a DTV reciever.

In any case, the next screen (the one that aquires the satelite info) freezes at 28%

Obviously this is an issue. Rebooting the reciever is no help with or without the cables plugged in. The SYS INFO screen still shows RECORD/RECORD "NOT ENABLED" Anybody have a fix?

Thanks
Bill

GREEK
08-05-2003, 12:01 AM
I would do the xtreme 2.5 again, and let it finish rebuilding the database and all WITH the sat feeds hooked up. See what happens with just 2.5. If you can get it to go just upgrade to 2.5.2 and then do a clear and delete everything, and run your xplusz commands for your particular situation and your good to go. I had this happen once ond it was merely software related...

Hagar
08-06-2003, 09:12 AM
Just unplug your sattelite feed and when it errors out select I'll fix it later...

For more informatin see http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=125181&perpage=20&pagenumber=1

stinkymarbles
08-11-2003, 03:29 PM
Thanks for all the help. It is working now.

bigdtv313
08-12-2003, 04:03 PM
has anyone with a hughes Gebot gotten the "fix it later" fix to work? i never seem to get this option i get the same 3 options each time
1.Try again to acquire info
2.Repeat Sat setup to change settings
3.go to tivo central

if someone did get it with the hughes let me know so i can keep trying.

i'll prolly see 28% in my nightmares tonight
:(

mrblack51
08-19-2003, 01:43 AM
argh, i finally get my sat dish re-setup, and i am hit by this issue. just thought i would post to let everyone know that the steps mentioned above worked for me (the disconnect, restart, reconnect procedure). hope dtv fixes this soon

GREEK
08-19-2003, 02:37 AM
the sonys give the I'll fix later option, the hughes and philips say go to tivo central. do that and then hook up the feeds and go to live tv. Its an issue with 30 and 32 transponders. You need these for the initial database build but not for watching live tv. Thats the whole deal with the fix.......if you did a clear and delete everything it would rebuild the database and get stuck again. You only wanna get through the first part and then just watch live tv with the feeds hooked up.........it works!!

ekati
08-19-2003, 07:40 PM
I wish that worked for me, but i have the 26% issue not 28. But i did notice during the aquiring stage with the thumbs up pressed. It hangs on tx 2 which i haven't had for about 2 yrs. :(

BrainDamage
08-26-2003, 07:06 PM
Originally posted by bigdtv313
has anyone with a hughes Gebot gotten the "fix it later" fix to work? i never seem to get this option i get the same 3 options each time
1.Try again to acquire info
2.Repeat Sat setup to change settings
3.go to tivo central

if someone did get it with the hughes let me know so i can keep trying.

i'll prolly see 28% in my nightmares tonight
:(

I just tried it. I was having the same problem. I never had this problem before, and I have set this up many times. It is a Hughes as well.

I disconnected the cables, booted the unit, and it went to aquire satellite signal. It stuck at 0% since there was no cable attached. I then attached both cables, and it aquired signal.

I can watch both tuners.

Thanks for the great info!

geek4tv
09-06-2003, 11:32 AM
Just worked throught the same issue. I think I found my problem to be my switch set up. once I set up as a single dish single LNB everything is fine.

krazy
09-07-2003, 11:21 PM
No matter what I'm stuck at 0%, no matter if cables are plugged in or out. I went through the steps and after the "Fix problem later" I get 0% of the guide data downloaded.

Cable checks good and my signal is great on many of the transponders. Maybe two have 20% or lower, and one was at nothing. I can look again if it will help.

Sat-T60 2.5.2, Round dish, no splitting and only SAT input 1 is enabled.

I might have screwed up by clearing and deleting my guide data. Anybody have any idea? I forgot to mention that this problem only started 4 days ago (I never had any problems until then) so I don't know if it is related to the 28% problem.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Schnitty
10-06-2003, 12:48 AM
not that anyone's asking, but just my $0.02 - thanks to everyone for their contributions to this thread. i came to the site to start a thread with this exact same subject, but fortunately, i searched first and found all the answers i needed. i had the 28% issue, but unplugging the cables, choosing "fix later" and then reconnecting afterward worked perfectly! i can't tell you how stressed i was when i was still getting that 28% lockup after like 5 reboots. thank heavens for dealdatabase! :)

LazyBastard
10-06-2003, 04:00 PM
There seems to be a few (at least 2) different problems being confused in here....

1) stuck at 28% during guided setup.
2) stuck at xx% during reboot.

Problem #2 may be related to problem #1 in that it can't recieve data if it doesn't know where to look.

If the problem is #2, unplug sat-in and wait for it to crap out, then reconnect and run guided setup.

I cannot stress enough the difference between oval-two+-lnbs and round-DUAL-lnb. If this was chosen wrong, it will crap out on reboot.

Problem #1 is a non-problem. When you run guided setup and it craps out at 28%, pull the power, wait for the drive(s) to stop, plug back in. It craps out AFTER saving the changes, so when you reboot, it is set right.

Livin
10-10-2003, 12:03 PM
I've done several things as well as this:
These are the steps I went through.
1) remove sat 1 and sat 2 input cables from back of receiver
2) reboot box, go through the set up process as normal without the sat inputs connected
3) select "go on, I'll solve later"
4) at 0% screen, reconnect sat 1 & sat 2

I have a Dishnetwork dual dish (the lnbs say 119 & 110 degrees)
Is there anything I need to do differently?
When I look at signal strength, most transponders are in the 70+ range... a few are in the 30s and two (4 & 24) are 0!

what gives?

any help is appreciated!