08-03-2003, 08:11 AM
I am seeing a lot of errors on my network adapter eth0

bash-2.02# ifconfig eth0
eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr --------
inet addr:192.168.0.10 Bcast:192.168.0.255 Mask:255.255.255.0
UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
RX packets:92 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:0 errors:4431 dropped:47 overruns:0 carrier:0 coll:0

These errors increase over time significantly.

This appears to me have all of the indications of being a half/full duplex problem. Is there a way to force the adapter to run 100 full? I know the switch that I am connected to run 100full.

This could explain some of the "slow" connections that people are seeing even though they are using a 100mb link.

I am running a HAWKING UF200 adapter using the ax8817x driver.
Is anyone else seeing the same symptom?

Also, my eth0 just dissappeared last night. I got up this morning and the light was off on the adapter. Had to reboot to get it back. Could this be a symptom of the "adapter error"?

tivomaster
08-03-2003, 05:08 PM
Something else I have noticed...

The TX packets never increment....
TX packets:0 errors:4431 dropped:47overruns:0 carrier:0 coll:0

Now I know that that is not true because the network works...

I am not sure this driver is totally right yet...

Can someone with the ax8817x driver verify that theirs does the same?

noobie_doo
08-04-2003, 06:02 AM
Are you able to ping the device clean or not? try a ping -t 192.168.0.10 and if you are dropping packets intermittently you may be right about the half/full duplex mismatch. If you can change the switch/router to half duplex. Also try a different cat 5 cable and that eth is a usb you can try a different usb port. Sorry can't help with the device itself or the drivers since I don't have one.

tivomaster
08-04-2003, 06:37 AM
Originally posted by noobie_doo
Are you able to ping the device clean or not? try a ping -t 192.168.0.10 and if you are dropping packets intermittently you may be right about the half/full duplex mismatch. If you can change the switch/router to half duplex. Also try a different cat 5 cable and that eth is a usb you can try a different usb port. Sorry can't help with the device itself or the drivers since I don't have one.

I am thinking it is not a full/half problem right now. The network seems to be working up to speed and everything works. The only issue is the driver appears to be reporting packets transmitted as errors... ie my TX packets field never changes from 0. I know that is not right......

BubbleLamp
08-04-2003, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by tivomaster
I am thinking it is not a full/half problem right now. The network seems to be working up to speed and everything works. The only issue is the driver appears to be reporting packets transmitted as errors... ie my TX packets field never changes from 0. I know that is not right......

I'm with Noobie_doo, your symptoms are exactly those of a mismatch full/half duplex.

tivomaster
08-04-2003, 10:56 AM
I would agree if I were seeing network degredation. However, the network is working very fast....