PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading a series 2 DirecTivo...

The Bad Guy
08-05-2003, 09:46 PM
My buddy is going to be receiving a series 2 Hughes DirecTivo next week and he wants to add more space than the standard 35 hour drive.

He would like around 80-90 hours of record time.

I've been told by several that you can't just slap a new drive in there and replace the old one because you will run into problems.

He's thinking about getting a seagate 120GB barrcuda to replace the 35 hour drive.

What else do I need to do to the drive before I put it in the Tivo for him?

I don't want any bells or whistles with it, just extra space.

Any help is really appreciated.

mrblack51
08-05-2003, 10:49 PM
well, you can bless and add a new drive via the procedure in hindsdales how-to (do a search). however, there is no mounting bracket for the second drive, and you would need to get a new IDE cable and a power cable splitter.

if you want to replace the drive in there with a bigger one, its pretty simple. just load the current drive and the new drive into your pc, and use mfstools to copy and expand the drive

The Bad Guy
08-05-2003, 10:57 PM
if you want to replace the drive in there with a bigger one, its pretty simple. just load the current drive and the new drive into your pc, and use mfstools to copy and expand the drive

Could I step-by-step instructions on the net for this?

I'm confused as to why I would need to copy the drive if I'm just replacing it with a new one.

I appreciate the help.

fixn278
08-05-2003, 11:14 PM
Originally posted by The Bad Guy
Could I step-by-step instructions on the net for this?

I'm confused as to why I would need to copy the drive if I'm just replacing it with a new one.

I appreciate the help.

You can find the process here...

http://www.newreleasesvideo.com/hinsdale-how-to/index9.html

mrblack51
08-06-2003, 12:40 AM
Originally posted by The Bad Guy

because the drive needs to get software onto it, and be partitioned for the tivo to use. you can download a backup image from one of the various ftp sites and restore it to the drive, or you can save some time and just use your own drive as the source for the data. without the software on the drive, the tivo is basically just like a pc without any drives and such, it can boot its bios (PROM), but thats it.