PDA

View Full Version : Pioneer DVD-RW - A06 question

jwmghf
08-06-2003, 08:48 PM
I just bought the A06 and had a couple of questions. I currently have a normal DVD player in my computer. I also have a CD-RW.

Do I hook up the A06 and leave the two other drives installed or do I remove one of them? Which one would be the right one to remove?

Thanks,

jwmghf

captain_video
08-06-2003, 08:59 PM
That would depend entirely on what you intend to use the drives for and whether or not you need the IDE slots for other purposes. The A06 will record and play back both DVD and CD recordable and rewriteable discs. The DVD drive may or may not be able to play back recordables and/or rewriteables DVDs but it should play back recordable CDs. The CD-RW drive will only play back CD-R and -RW discs. Personally, I'd take out the DVD-ROM drive as it is completely redundant and may not be compatible with your recordable formats. I'd consider keeping the CD-RW drive solely for the purpose of recording CDs. If you want to streamline your system the A06 can do it all.

jwmghf
08-06-2003, 11:00 PM
Hey Captain:

Always a pleasure to hear from you.

I will pull the DVD rom drive as you suggested.

I will probably use the drive to record DVD movies. Use it to store family photos and videos.

The main purpose for the drive is to learn how to record movies from my Sat-T60. What software do you recommend for this??

Thanks again,

jwmghf

captain_video
08-07-2003, 08:04 AM
There's a multitude of software available for recording your movies to DVD. It's mostly a matter of personal preference. TyTool is by far the easiest program to use since it's pretty much an all-in-one package for processing the ty files from beginning to end. Here's a quick outline of the processes involved for making a DVD from a ty file:

1. Extract the ty file from your DTivo using TyTool, TyStudio, mfs_ftp, or Tivoweb.

2. To edit the file, it will have to be indexed in TyStudio or create a key file in TyTool.

3. Select your cut points using TyStudio or TyTool and save the cut list.

4. Process the file into an mpeg file, elemental stream (i.e. separate audio and video files), or VOB files (TyTool only).

5. Import the files into your DVD authoring software (some take mpegs and some require elemental streams). Most programs, other than TyTool, require the use of DVD Patcher to patch the resolution of the first video header to a compliant resolution so that it can be recognized by the software (i.e. either 352x480 or 720x480). Create your menus, set your chapter stops, test the project to ensure everything works, and compile the DVD. In TyTool, create the IFOs and directories (it will create a basic menu and set chapter stops for you).

6. Burn the AUDIO_TS and VIDEO_TS directories to DVD using Nero or other DVD burning software (these directories are created during the compilation process). You may have to repatch the video headers back to 480x480 prior to burning the files to DVD, depending on the software.

Here's a list of the more popular DVD authoring applications:

SpruceUp - basic program but amazingly versatile; provides capability of creating menus with multiple titles and chapter stops

DVD Maestro - full-blown professional authoring tool; menu graphics must be created using Photoshop or other graphics program and then inported into project

Ulead DVD Movie Factory/DVD Workshop - both are similar but DVDWS has more options; programs can be finnicky about files and can be problematic to use; does allow for creation of nice menus with lots of options; TyTool has some fixes built-in to compensate for some of the errors when processing the files in either DVDMF or DVDWS

DVD-Lab - Accepts 480x480 files directly but could have timestamp issues with edited files; MPEG2VCR has a GOP fixer that can correct this

jwmghf
08-07-2003, 08:16 PM
Thanks for the multitude of info in your last post!!!! I'll get my hands on the programs you mentioned and start reading in the Video Extraction forums.

You'll start seeing me over there.

Thanks again,

jwmghf