PDA

View Full Version : New to Tivo Question

tvtp_public
08-06-2003, 10:25 PM
Hi,

I am new to the Tivo stuff, anybody can help me to answer my question i really appreciate that, thanks

1. I currently have direct tv with p3 access card, so what directivo i should buy that will work with my direct tv ? and where i can buy it ?

2. how can i use or hack directivo to record some of my show without paying a directivo subscriptions ? where i can get all the information ( step by step instructions would be helpful, i am slow on those technical stuff )

3. if i could record a tv program or movie to the directivo, how i can get those movies to my computer so i could burn it to a DVD ?
any device or hardware do i need to transfer the data ?

I really appreciate any responses

koreanmasters99
08-06-2003, 10:45 PM
you can buy most Stand Alone Tivo machine that will works with your reciever....
and the answre to your 2nd question is NO!
we are very lucky that Tivo allow us to hack and not come down on us......so be glad and be happy...
as for your question about enlarging your HD....yes you can...and there are a few files out there that will help you do it..
BUT NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! to hacking and don't pay for tivo subscription...................
enjoy!

mrblack51
08-07-2003, 12:23 AM
Originally posted by tvtp_public
1. I currently have direct tv with p3 access card, so what directivo i should buy that will work with my direct tv ? and where i can buy it ?

2. how can i use or hack directivo to record some of my show without paying a directivo subscriptions ? where i can get all the information ( step by step instructions would be helpful, i am slow on those technical stuff )

3. if i could record a tv program or movie to the directivo, how i can get those movies to my computer so i could burn it to a DVD ?
any device or hardware do i need to transfer the data ?

1: ebay is one of the only consistent places to buy units outside of the standard retail stream, and therefore not be subject to a programming comittment. otherwise, any dtv retail outlet should be able to help

2. its only $5 a month for as many dtivos as you want, so you won't find any sympathy toward stealing service here. if you are running version 3.1 or higher, then the subscription is controlled by dtv via the access card. versions prior to that use a phone call to verify the recording functionality. There are ways to bypass the phone call for privacy reasons, but you will not recieve a good reception if you make it clear your intention is service theft...a subject which is not discussed on this board.

3. there is an entire area on this board dedicated to extracting shows from the tivo for viewing on a pc or burning to dvd. in general, you need to enable your tivo with an ethernet connection (via turbonet or tivonet if you have a series 1, or via usb ethernet if you have a series 2). i suggest you start reading up on the subject, all the answers are in there.

remember, no dtv hacking or service theft issues. welcome to ddb