PDA

View Full Version : difference between 3.1 tivolator and 2.52 xtreme

tripper_1966
08-07-2003, 08:25 PM
what's the difference between the 3.1 tivolator and 2.52 xtreme?

thanks

JJBliss
08-07-2003, 09:13 PM
Tivolater upates the system leaving your shows and season passes intact while 2.5.2 Xtreme is an image that you write to a disk overwriting everything.

JJ Bliss

captain_video
08-07-2003, 10:01 PM
I think your question needs some clarification. If, in fact, you are referring to a 2.5.2 image that has been Xtremed, then JJBliss' reply is indeed accurate. However, if you were looking to find the differences between 3.1 Tivolator and Superzap's 2.5.2 upgrade then that's another whole ball of wax. I have links to a thread that specifies the differences between Superzap's upgrades and Kraven's upgrades to 2.5Xtreme but they're on my office PC at the moment so I can't give them to you now.

Both Superzap and Kraven add pretty much the same hacks but go about it differently. Superzap has included the hacks in his xPlusz utility which allows you to pick and choose which ones you want to activate whereas Kraven has included them all in an upgrade package that will not only install the OS upgrade to version 3.1 but will install the most popular hacks as well.

It's not really a proper comparison to look at Superzap's 2.5.2 upgrade vs. Kraven's 3.1 Tivolator since you're dealing with two different OS versions as well as two different approaches to hacking a DTivo. 2.5.2 is a necessity if you want locals. Moving up to 3.1 is not all that necessary nor does it provide any significant advantage over 2.5.2. If you don't care all that much about compatibility with an Hu card then go ahead and upgrade to 3.1 (a moot point, really, with JJBliss' BlissTerPopper utility). Otherwise, SZ's 2.5.2 upgrade should suit you just fine (I'm currently running it on all three of my DTivos).