PDA

View Full Version : Preventing updates via version hack?

tivomaster
08-08-2003, 08:47 AM
I know the experts probably already have thought of this but would it be possible to prevent updates by hacking the version information? I.e. if we hacked the verison the TiVo reported from 3.1.0-01-2-151 to something like 9.1.0-01-2-151 wouldn't the TiVo think that the next version they sent down was a lesser rev than the version that is on the Tivo currently and not do the download/update process?

Would this break other things?

GREEK
08-19-2003, 02:21 AM
I doesnt work like that. The tivo isnt a person watching the sys info screen. Its way more complicated.........

mrblack51
08-19-2003, 02:42 AM
Originally posted by GREEK
I doesnt work like that. The tivo isnt a person watching the sys info screen. Its way more complicated.........

are you sure? there is a check of the swsystem version number as part of the upgrade process.

BubbleLamp
08-19-2003, 10:20 AM
And who wants to be the guinea pig to find out what the Tivo server is going to do when it sees a version number like that?? My guess is it will downgrade you to what's really current.

David Bought
08-20-2003, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by BubbleLamp
And who wants to be the guinea pig to find out what the Tivo server is going to do when it sees a version number like that?? My guess is it will downgrade you to what's really current.

Who said anything about plugging in the phone line?

We all know how sensitive their service is to serial/software mismatches - it's a veritable house of cards. Somebody would have to either be insane or a tivo god (http://alt.org) just to try it.

BubbleLamp
08-20-2003, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by David Bought
Who said anything about plugging in the phone line?

We all know how sensitive their service is to serial/software mismatches - it's a veritable house of cards. Somebody would have to either be insane or a tivo god (http://alt.org) just to try it.

He's talking about preventing software updates via a false version number. Since ALL software updates--so far as I know--come over the phone line, why else would you even bother unless you plan to plug the phone in?

PS David B. has a perfect right to sue you for slander or defamation since you are using a defaced picture of him without his permission. It has NOTHING to do with DDB, so don't drag us into your crap. Get real.:rolleyes:

David Bought
08-20-2003, 03:46 PM
He's talking about preventing software updates via a false version number. Since ALL software updates--so far as I know--come over the phone line, why else would you even bother unless you plan to plug the phone in?

The update he is talking about, 3.1.0-01-2-151, was delivered via the satellite datastream to units that were never connected to a land based telephone line.

But you raised a good point - extreme care should be taken by anyone attempting this who regularly connects to TiVo's servers, as they have been known to suspend accounts for causing excessive software downloads.

PS David B. has a perfect right to sue you for slander or defamation since you are using a defaced picture of him without his permission. It has NOTHING to do with DDB, so don't drag us into your crap. Get real.:rolleyes:

My former avatar was a textbook example of parody and satire, which are both cases of fair use which happen to be untouchable (http://www.artslaw.org/PARODY.HTM) under U.S. copyright law. The only thing one could possibly fault me for is occasionally being less of an asshole than he is - but that's a matter of personal interpretation. :D

BubbleLamp
08-20-2003, 05:26 PM
Originally posted by David Bought
The update he is talking about, 3.1.0-01-2-151, was delivered via the satellite datastream to units that were never connected to a land based telephone line.

I stand corrected. Guess that's why I never went past 2.5.2. ;)

PS, you referenced a musical parody law, how is that the same as a person's picture?

David Bought
08-20-2003, 07:50 PM
I stand corrected. Guess that's why I never went past 2.5.2. ;)

PS, you referenced a musical parody law, how is that the same as a person's picture?

Does the First Amendment no longer apply to those of us who do not sing? Parody is protected speech, regardless of the medium. And because of the unique issues and personalities involved in this case, it could easily be construed as political speech - which is considered sacrosanct in this country.