PDA

View Full Version : WinXP Internet gateway

sc00t3r
08-09-2003, 08:39 PM
This may seem strange but I hope someone can get what i'masking for.

I have recently installed a turbonet card in my SA Tivo and it works fine. I want to know how to set the Tivo up to connect to my network through another machine (winxp macine). The PC has two NICs, one that connects to my router, and one that is for the Tivo.

I want to set the Tivo up so that it connects through the one NIC to the rest of the network. I have been trying to figure this out fr a few hours now, and haven't had much luck. I know this probably isnt the most ideal way to have it setup, but has to be this way for me, plus I figure it will teach me a bit more about networks if I can get it to work.

Can anyone point me in the right direction? For reference, the internal IP of the WinXP PC that I hope to use as the gateway for the Tivo is 192.168.0.8;

Thanks in advance to whomever can help me out with this one.

BubbleLamp
08-09-2003, 08:59 PM
A WinXP box is not a real router, why are you trying to make it one? What is it you are trying to accomplish?

sc00t3r
08-09-2003, 09:27 PM
C'mon, you guys can do better than that, can't you?

noobie_doo
08-10-2003, 07:01 AM
Have you tried Bridging. You should be able to right click on the network adapter to set up the bridging option. Also you could try internet connection sharing.
I am also assuming you have two networks, one for each network adapter in you winxp machine. You should not have any problems doing this with two NICs. This should accomplish what you want.
I have not tried this bridging option but I once tried something similar with a win2000 machine with 3 NICs and could not get it to work because on win2000 you can only internet share on two NICs. When I upgraded to xp I saw the bridging option so I am curious how this is, if not try internet connection sharing.

sc00t3r
08-10-2003, 12:03 PM
Yes, the bridging function will work, but what I am looking for is how to set this up on the Tivo itself. The Tivo has to be configured to use this machine as a gateway, right?

kac
08-10-2003, 11:30 PM
It's hard to tell what your trying to do from your description, but from the way you have things configured on your xp box you do not have ICS enabled.

From the ip you gave for your xp box it is clear that you have not enabled ICS... To make this simple do the following...

One NIC connects to the cable modem or whatever you are using to connect to the internet. This is your external network.

One NIC connects to the tivo box.

Enable ICS on the external NIC.

Once you configure internet connection sharing on the XP box it will automatically assign ip addresses via DHCP. The ip address of the XP box will be automatically set to 192.168.0.1.

If you have a router as you stated earlier you are making somthing simple seem complicated. Why route through the XP machine?

I really need more info to help you out, but on a traditional setup it basically goes...

WAN to Modem
Modem to Router
Router to Clients (which would include your tivo and workstations)

to run it your way:

WAN to Modem
Modem to Router
Router to XP Client
XP client to tivo

This seems silly... Please provide more details as to what you are really trying to do.

Sorry I couldn't be more help.

noobie_doo
08-11-2003, 12:02 AM
sc00t3r
I don't think you will have to put a gateway in the Tivo. With ICS or bridging it should just send the traffic from one NIC to the other one, you may have to put a gateway on the xp machine on the NIC connected to the TIVO and set it to the gateway of the other NIC connected to the router.
Also I agree, this is pretty funky but who am I to judge.
Is this set up because the router is not close and the computer is, if this is the case just put a hub in and connect both to the hub. Or are you trying to hide the TIVO from the network, either way I think you should be able to do what you want but windows is kind of goofy when trying to make it into a router/bridge but it is possible, you just might have to tweak the network settings in the xp box.
Let me know if you get it to work.

noobie_doo
08-11-2003, 12:04 AM
Oh one more thing. KAC is right if you enable ICS it will change the IP, so remember to go back and change the IP and subnet back to what you want

BubbleLamp
08-11-2003, 12:51 AM
Bridging is layer 2, routing is layer 3. You can't bridge two different IP networks.

sc00t3r
08-11-2003, 10:53 AM
noobie_doo hit the nail on the head. I want to set my network up like this because:

1. I have run out of ports on my router and am not going to buy a new one if I absolutely do not need one

2. Even if I had an extra port in my router, my Tivo is all the way across the house and I do not want another cable going across my living room.

I'm going to try what KAC said now.

mavrcksd
08-13-2003, 01:25 PM
It would be interesting to see the throughput with a direct connection to the tivo like he is wanting to attempt.

I had to go away from a switch in order to get my throughput higher. Unfortunately until I buy this condo, I cannot rip out the walls and install better wiring, so I'm using a HUB instead.

A direct connection should give the true full duplex and some outstanding throughput (even on inserts??????)

MAV