PDA

View Full Version : Problems restoring test image to new drive

binkatl
08-10-2003, 12:50 PM
Help me please...

I'm following the Hinsdale how-to guide, and everything went smoothly up until restoring the test image to my new drive.

It's a 120GB Western Digital drive (actually not new, but from a Ultimate TV receiver, which I unlocked and wiped clean). The backup of the image went perfectly, however when I try to run mfsrestore I get the following error:

Restore failed: Error restoring partitions.

Can anyone help? The command I am using, according to the Hinsdale document, is as follows:

mfsrestore -s 127 -bzpi /mnt/dos/tivo.bak /dev/hdb

I have all drives set up exactly as suggested, and I have double and triple checked everything. As far as I can tell I have done everything right.

Does the new drive need to be formatted according to some specification, or does mfsrestore wipe over any previous format? Please help with any info... thanks!

- bink

captain_video
08-10-2003, 08:28 PM
Since you didn't indicate what type of Tivo you have I am going to assume it's a series 2. The command you specified is for a series 2 model which is why I'm making this assumption. I am also assuming that you have installed your new drive as the primary slave in your PC and have set the jumpers accordingly. Did you mount your drives prior to entering the mfsrestore command? See the commands listed under step 7, option #1 following the discussion on a locked drive. Did you create the backup on a drive formatted with either a FAT16 or FAT32 filesystem? Linux won't recognize an NTFS filesystem so your drive has to be formatted for Win95, Win98 or WinME or just plain old DOS.