PDA

View Full Version : live streaming to PC

xavia1701
08-11-2003, 09:18 AM
I know I've posted this before, but I got no replies and having looked more I am still non the wiser!

Is it possible to stream video of a tivo, essential get at the data before it is D to A'd?

cheers

Simon

TheWickedPriest
08-12-2003, 11:13 AM
Yes, it's possible. I think there are a few options... I'm using vserver (on the Tivo) + mplayer (on my system) with the ty patch. See:

http://tivo-mplayer.sourceforge.net/

Note that there's a link for vserver (vstream) there, but it does NOT include an S2 binary, as the description claims. Instead, I got mine as part of the MIPS port of Tridge's utilities package... can't find where I got that now, sorry.

It works well for the most part, although I lose A/V sync sometimes. I have to tell mplayer to buffer the stream (-cache 8192) to avoid jerkiness.

Anyway, there's a lot more info about this over in the extraction forum.

mavrcksd
08-13-2003, 01:18 PM
yes: how do you get the stream to go up to almost what is live?

because the tivo has a 30min buffer of recording while it is "watching" tv. -- you can forward through it - with the arrow keys, but if you go too far then it dumps out and you have to start over...

so given some variables - how can you "JUMP" to almost live tv?

MAV

TheWickedPriest
08-13-2003, 04:31 PM
Well, I guess you could count how many arrows it takes to go past the end, then do it again and hit it one less time.

But anyway, it's a Tivo. Why would you wanna muck with Live TV? :-)

BTW, I can't swear to this yet, but it looks like I only lose sync if I go backwards.

xavia1701
08-18-2003, 05:13 AM
mavrcksd, I am sorry I am very new to all this, I was wondering if you could either explain in a bit more detail what you just said or point me to somewhere that will have somemore information, I have tried searching on variations on what you said but haven't found an explaination.

Cheers

Simon
still groping in the dark...