PDA

View Full Version : Questions before hacking HDVR2

binkatl
08-14-2003, 07:19 PM
I'm getting ready to begin my first attempt at hacking my Hughes HDVR2 according to the instructions at:

http://www.hostfreedom.com/tivo/index.html

Questions I have before I begin...

1. The beginning of this guide warns, in big red letters, that it is only a beta. Can anyone tell me if there are any glaring or dangerous errors? Or is this a valid guide to follow? I'm pretty much a Linux newbie, so if any commands are wrong I could get into trouble. I'm going to have to simply follow these instructions to the letter and so I hope it is all right.

2. I already upgraded the stock 40GB to a 120GB, so I have a backup from when I did that procedure. As such, I'm going to ignore the part of this procedure that describes making and saving a backup. Instead, I'm going to continue using the same drive that I have been using. With this procedure, will my recordings remain intact? I remember reading somewhere that the data is stored separately from the kernel, so I was hoping these hacks would leave the recordings intact.

3. I bought a wireless USB ethernet adapter (Linksys WUSB11). I found info on the internet that this adapter uses the Pegasus.o driver, so it should work fine. Can anyone confirm this before I get started?

Thanks in advance for everyone's incredible, insightful help. Please let me know if you think it's safe for me to proceed, and whether or not I should expect any problems. Thanks!

- Blake

mrblack51
08-14-2003, 09:27 PM
1) the guide wouldnt be stickied if it wasnt reasonably accurate. the point of it being noted as beta is to indicate that you should try it and report any issues. as with any hack, if you screw it up, you own both broken parts. however, it wouldnt be stickied (or even still on the boards) if it was going to damage your unit

2) if you already are at that point and just want bash, then you aren't going to be following the guide exactly. as an intelligent person, im sure you should be able to figure out whats needed and what isnt.

3) did you do a search to see if people had mentioned it?

binkatl
08-14-2003, 10:08 PM
mrblack,

Thanks for your reply. Excuse me because I'm really new here, but I'm not sure I understand everything you are saying.

Firstly, I didn't mean to imply that this guide was in any way flawed or incomplete. I was simply responding to the author's own admission that it was a beta. I figured if any errors had been discovered, someone here would know about it, so I was simply asking if anyone knew anything.

As far as already upgrading my hard drive... I did that using the Hinsdale guide, before I decided to try hacking the kernel. So, right now I have a 120GB drive (with the stock software). Following this guide to the letter would cause me to have to shelve a perfectly good 120GB drive, and buy a new one, which I just can't do right now. So I was hoping someone could still answer my question: Will this hack keep all my existing recordings on this drive, or will they be erased/unusable?

And concerning the Linksys USB ethernet adapter, I did do a search before posting, but there were no messages about the WUSB11 in relation to the HDVR2. That's why I asked the question.

Thanks...

TheWickedPriest
08-15-2003, 12:21 AM
Any errors in that guide will presumably be hashed out in the very long stickied thread where it originated, "The COMPLETE HDVR2/DSR7000 How-To: From BASH to EXTRACTION", over in the "Tivo Series 2 Hacking" forum. Read that.

You can hack and keep your recordings, but not if you want to extract -- since you have to turn off scrambling to be able to extract, and your existing scrambled recordings won't play back with scrambling disabled. You can toggle it on and off at will, and have a mix of both types of recordings; but that's a pain. At some point, you'll want to clear off the old recordings so you can leave scrambling off. On the other hand, if you don't care about extraction (which also includes live streaming to a computer), then you can ignore the whole business of scrambling.

I don't think it's true that the WUSB11, or any other wireless adapter, works with pegasus.o. That's only for USB -> regular (wired) Ethernet, AFAIK. However, you may be able to use the device with alldeadhomiez' driver package, discussed in the thread "USB device support for Series2 / 3.1" over in Series 2 Hacking. (BTW, that thread should be a sticky!) To get WEP working requires a recompiled kernel, though.

mrblack51
08-15-2003, 12:39 AM
the guide is being updated continuously, hence the version numbers. if errors are found, they are fixed

basically, the applicable steps you need to use are to copy the 3.1.u5 kernel over your kernel, and pretty much all the standard steps except the backup and restore stuff.

there is limited support for wireless adapters. a better bet is to use a wired adapter and then use a wireless bridge. that will give you wep and other features

SteveT
08-18-2003, 10:27 AM
Originally posted by binkatl
3. I bought a wireless USB ethernet adapter (Linksys WUSB11). I found info on the internet that this adapter uses the Pegasus.o driver, so it should work fine. Can anyone confirm this before I get started?

I have a working WUSB11 connection on my HDVR2. See here:
http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=26710