PDA

View Full Version : 745 error

white falcon
08-15-2003, 04:17 PM
I have a problem with my dvr6000. I had a 744 card the other day. No problem, I just put on the new script right? Well, ever since, every time I load a new script, and reboots, as soon as the sat information says 100% , it instantly goes 745. I've tried finding a similar situation already posted, but I haven't found the answer. I erased my pregrams and reset everything I could find. I guess this would be a good time to start to learn to hack the tivo and do a drive upgrade. Can anyone tell me what's wrong. Can I do the hard drive upgrade somehow using a notebook? Cand I do the hacks using a notebook. I have seen several references to building my own serial cable. Is this all I'd need to do to hack it from a notebook? I am totally new to linux and Tivo and want to learn, but I also work 2 full time jobs (hence the tivo) and don't have a lot of time to study plus the revolving blackouts don't help.

captain_video
08-15-2003, 04:26 PM
You need a regular PC to do any Tivo drive upgrades. You can connect to your Tivo using the serial port and a fabricated cable with your laptop but that's all. As for the 745 and 744 problem, that's a DTV issue and is not a topic for discussion in these forums. We only deal with the Tivo side of a DirecTivo. The DTV discussions need to be taken to a forum better suited for such things.

white falcon
08-15-2003, 04:30 PM
I'm sorry, I forgot to mention that the same program that caused the 745 on the tivo worked just fine on my ordinary rca. I went to the dave sites first and they all said it is a know problem with dtivo's and sent me here. As best that I could tell or understand, there is some kind of logfile that records card numbers and once it fills, then you get this problem. tell me if I'm wrong and I'll look around somewhere else. Please point me in the write direction either publically or by email.

mrblack51
08-15-2003, 05:07 PM
you are asking us to help you troubleshoot your hacked card...not gonna happen. if you put a legit card in and it works, then your hacked card is the problem. dtv hacking discussion is not permitted here

white falcon
08-15-2003, 05:11 PM
Even my basic package sub from dtv does this. It works in the rca, but not the dtivo. And yes, I did perform an unmarry berfore switching ird's. I don't want to call customer service becouse they will want to send me a p4 for the rca and charge me $5 for the dtivo.

white falcon
08-15-2003, 05:16 PM
I don't want help with a hacked dtv script. I can use my ligit card for this. I know the problem is tivo related and want to keep the discussion focused on this.

GREEK
08-15-2003, 05:29 PM
the problem is that every one of your posts mention hacked cards, and scripts, and so on. You should have stated from the biginning that I am a paying DTV subscriber and I have a 745 error on my DTIVO and not on my other regular IRD and you would have gotten somewhere. There is nothing you can do except a hard reboot which you should know very well considering. There is a battery in the tivo by the way, you gotta remove it and the cord overnight. Your laptop will not hack the dtivo you need a desktop, and no type of dtv hacking is allowed here. Dont even mention it in your posts or you will get nowhere and flamed. If you have no time for learning then pay someone to do it.

white falcon
08-15-2003, 05:36 PM
Thank you for your reply. That makes sense. I didn't mean to confuse the issue. I am currently in the newbies section trying to learn what I can. This place if a huge libary of information. Do I need to learn linux before I attempt any of this stuff. Some of these upgrades sound great. So, I have to buy a desktop just to hack (not upgrade the drives). I didn't even know tivo could do all this. If it wasn't for the power outage, I probably wouldn't even have had time to read this much. Thank you.

GREEK
08-15-2003, 05:56 PM
You must know somebody with a desktop you can access. A older pentium or pentium 2 can be had for a 100 bucks and will work. You can use a work computer, a girlfriends(preferably X) or a buddies. You only need to use the cdrom drive and the ide ribbon for 15 minutes. The rest you can do with a bash cable or the remote. You can always get a preupgraded drive or have someone do the upgrade for you and just use the hacks with out actually installing them yourself......read, read, read.

mrblack51
08-15-2003, 06:21 PM
you can use a laptop for some stuff, but not everythign. reimaging a drive needs a desktop. if you have serial on your laptop, then you can do serial stuff. same for ethernet.

captain_video
08-15-2003, 07:28 PM
Do I need to learn linux before I attempt any of this stuff.

Go to the DirecTV Tivo Hacking Forum and look in the How Tos Only sticky thread. You'll find a link to a Newbies Guide to the Tivo. It contains all of the basic Linux commands you'll need as well as some other basic info.

white falcon
08-16-2003, 07:43 PM
Originally posted by GREEK
There is a battery in the tivo by the way, you gotta remove it and the cord overnight.

This worked. Thanks.