PDA

View Full Version : Log file

white falcon
08-15-2003, 05:28 PM
I remember reading somewhere about a log file that dtivo makes. Why would I want to clear this "log" and what does it do and what is it called?

mrblack51
08-15-2003, 06:15 PM
log files are stored in the /var/log dir (or is it /var/logs, i dont remember). you can clear the logs by deleting them whenever you feel like it, or you can redirect them to /dev/null, so that they never have anything in them. info about clearing the logs can be found via a search.

why would you want to do this? well, obviously, if you are stealing service, you wouldn't want tivo or dtv to see what you are watching. of course, we dont talk about service theft here, and we hope thats not why you are needing to clear your logs. the big reason is that many of the people who are into technology are also privacy advocates. while tivo's system has been certified as being reasonably anonymous, a true advocate wouldnt let their data outside of their own control. thus, clearing the logs is used as a privacy option.

white falcon
08-15-2003, 06:19 PM
So, it's really not something to worry about then. It only records my veiwing habits, not personal info like who I am or card information.

ou812
09-06-2003, 03:49 PM
Originally posted by mrblack51
log files are stored in the /var/log dir (or is it /var/logs, i dont remember). you can clear the logs by deleting them whenever you feel like it, or you can redirect them to /dev/null, so that they never have anything in them. info about clearing the logs can be found via a search.

I can't seem to find how to just delete them manually through telnet or via ftp.

mrblack51
09-06-2003, 04:29 PM
Originally posted by white falcon
So, it's really not something to worry about then. It only records my veiwing habits, not personal info like who I am or card information.

well, it logs every key that you press on the remote, so it knows what you watch, how long, if you skipped commercials, etc. It also logs your access card number. all the info is supposed to be anonymized before tivo sees it, but whether or not you trust that is a different story.

ou812: rm -rf /path/to/file

ou812
09-06-2003, 08:01 PM
Originally posted by mrblack51
log files are stored in the /var/log dir (or is it /var/logs, i dont remember). so whatever is in there is fair game for deletion and the tivo will replace them with new ones?

ou812
09-07-2003, 04:25 PM
Well I figured what the hell, I opened telnet and typed rm -rf /var/log/*

I remembered *.* from my DOS days so I figured that * would work. Since the ls command does not work for me in telnet I opened up my browser and ftp'ed to that directory and all the files were gone! I restarted via telnet and it booted fine, I went back and checked the contents of /var/log and it had all new files. Hooray.

Just for kicks I saved some of the files before I deleted them and opened them with EditPad and I was shocked! It's amazing what tivo is logging. It's true, every button ever pressed on the remote is logged. ALL kinds of other information is in a bunch of those log files if you take the time to read them. Tivo should be paying for that kind of info on viewing habits, not subscribers paying 5 or 12 bucks a month for that. What is this world coming to...

+Demo
09-09-2003, 10:52 AM
Doesn't Xplusz do this automatically ?