PDA

View Full Version : Dodged the Bullet....

tivomaster
08-15-2003, 06:07 PM
Whew.... I somehow managed to delete my rc.sysinit out of the /ect/rc.d directory..... If that wasn't bad enough I panicked and issued the reboot command....

Needless to say my TiVo booted to the powering up screen and locked. No "almost there", no repair reboot, nothing...

I was sitting there trying to figure out how to tell my wife I killed the TiVo and she was going to loose all of her recordings (It wasn't gonna be a pretty site). I thought to myself, I have a copy of it I wonder if I could simply remove the drive, mount it via the CDRom utils cd, and replace the offending file. It worked like a champ....

That brought to mind...

Is there anyway to get specific files off of a mfsbackup without restoring it to a hard drive?

Is there anyway to restore a specific partition off of a msfbackup. If so and I screw up again I could simply restore hdc4....

tivomaster
08-15-2003, 06:32 PM
What about creating a tarball of the /hda4 partiton on the /var partition then ftp it over to my doz machine? Below is the output of the df command on my TiVo. It looks like the /var partition has enough space to put the "tarball?"....

/dev/hda4 126911 24921 95437 21% /
/dev/hda9 126911 12671 107687 11% /var

If so to create a tarball would I simply...
tar cvfz /var/rootbackup.tar.gz /

MuscleNerd
08-16-2003, 12:14 PM
No, you can't specify pieces of an mfstool backup.

Yes, you can separately use tar for the ext2fs files. But /var is not a good place to store the tar files if you're thinking long term.

I also suggest you remove your "reboot" executable :)

tivomaster
08-16-2003, 03:24 PM
Originally posted by MuscleNerd
No, you can't specify pieces of an mfstool backup.

Yes, you can separately use tar for the ext2fs files. But /var is not a good place to store the tar files if you're thinking long term.

I also suggest you remove your "reboot" executable :)

Thanks MuscleNerd. No I was't thinking of long term strorage just long enough to ftp the tarball over to my doz box. Or better yet If I could find a mips version of smb I could simply smbmount my doz share and tar the stuff directly over to it. Do you happen to know where I could get the smb stuff for a mips (HDVR2) TiVo?

PS: on removing the reboot command. I gave it some thought but then if I removed all "dangerous" commands I would have one heck of a paperweight :) .... Then again they say what doesn't kill you makes you stronger...