PDA

View Full Version : Turning off HDVR2

binkatl
08-16-2003, 02:19 PM
Ok folks, I'm about to ask perhaps the dumbest, stupidest question ever asked on these threads.... (sigh) here goes.

How do you turn off the HDVR2?

Today I was going to unplug my HDVR2 to replace the cover (I had just been doing some upgrades) and I noticed that it was in the middle of recording a program. I checked and it was something I didn't want anyway, so I hit the Standby button. The unit went into standby, but the record light stayed on.

This is a really cool feature, sure, but it begs the question, when is it safe to actually unplug the unit? Since there is no on/off switch, it's never really off. I want to make sure it's had time to unmount all the drives and anything else it needs before I pull the plug.

Can anyone make any recommendations? Thanks.

- Bink

MuscleNerd
08-16-2003, 02:51 PM
Any time your box is not recording something of interest is a good time to unplug it. The streams are stored on a journaling filesystem, so you won't break anything by turning it off without "unmounting" or "syncing" or any of the burdens of a non-journaling filesystem.

TheWickedPriest
08-16-2003, 07:04 PM
Personally, I'd cancel all in-progress recordings, then put it in standby, then pull the plug. Even if I didn't care about the recording, and even though it's supposedly designed to handle power outages in the middle of writing, I feel more comfortable with the disk not in write mode when the power goes out. It's more fragile when writing, and I've already had one Tivo disk go bad on me (and I'm starting to wonder if my current one is going).

You can always restart it, and unplug it before it boots up; but if anything, I suspect that's more dangerous. It's a very brief window, and it writes to /var during boot.

It would be nice to have a conventional "shutdown" binary available.

MuscleNerd
08-16-2003, 07:30 PM
In the past few months alone, I must have pulled the plug on my HDVR2 hundreds of times, literally, with the 2 live buffers still recording, and I've never seen a problem. To each his own, I guess.

binkatl
08-16-2003, 09:16 PM
Ok, so maybe it wasn't such a stupid question after all :D

I've been doing the standby-before-shutdown method myself, just to be safe. I'll probably continue to do that (it can't hurt, I suppose).

- Bink

binkatl
08-17-2003, 01:08 AM
This made me think of another, potentially dumb question...

Is it a good idea to put the unit in standby mode overnight? What will this do? Does it continue to record scheduled shows even in standby? Does it stop recording live TV in standby?

If this is the case, it might possibly extend the life of the hard drives, rather than having them continuously recording live TV when it's not necessary to do so.

Thoughts?

- Bink

Juppers
08-17-2003, 01:12 AM
Standby does nothing except blank the video output. The unit is still fully on and functioning.

MuscleNerd
08-17-2003, 03:07 AM
Originally posted by Juppers
Standby does nothing except blank the video output. The unit is still fully on and functioning.
On the combo units, it stops recording the live buffer, too. On the standalone units, the live buffer keeps on going even in standby.

Juppers
08-17-2003, 10:16 AM
Originally posted by MuscleNerd
On the combo units, it stops recording the live buffer, too. On the standalone units, the live buffer keeps on going even in standby.

I never really use standby, but I just put my HDVR2 on standby for a few minutes, and the live cache was all still there when I woke it back up. Maybe it needs to be in standby for a while or something.

MuscleNerd
08-17-2003, 10:52 AM
The buffer will still be there, but there will be a discontinuity at the point you put it into standby. If you trickplay right after coming out of standby, you'll see all sorts of mpeg errors at this discontinuity (assuming the box wasn't recording a ToDo or TiVo item during "standby"). The old buffer just gets re-used at the place it got left off.

Juppers
08-17-2003, 11:15 AM
Ahh! Now I see!

GREEK
08-17-2003, 03:41 PM
THEY say the best way to preserve the HD life is to go into system reset and reboot and pull the plug while it is shitting down during the reboot. most of us have yanked the plug 1000s of times during a recording or whatever else. who knows if this is related to premature HD failure, you never know. standby is on without video output, all recordings and to dos still go on as usual.

MuscleNerd
08-17-2003, 07:36 PM
Originally posted by GREEK
THEY say the best way ....
TiVo has literature to that effect?