PDA

View Full Version : Reduced To Noob Status



boboli
08-17-2003, 03:47 PM
I am left with a SA Phillips Model 112 that has been upgraded to 3.0 via the NET..
Once it was done, I had to restore the Turbonet setup to access the SA.
I have my TELNET and FTP capability, but it seems I cannot get the unit to update over the NET. Every try results in "LINE NOT AVAILABLE" error.
My only clue is that I can ping out into the NET, but only by IP. When I ping a domain name, I get "ping: cannot resolve domain.com: Unknown server error" even though I have updated the /etc/resolve.conf with proper nameservers.
B

GREEK
08-17-2003, 04:17 PM
you need to post this ?? in the SA tivo section, you are in the directv tivo section of the forum. You will get a faster more correct response this way.......

boboli
08-17-2003, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by GREEK
you need to post this ?? in the SA tivo section, you are in the directv tivo section of the forum. You will get a faster more correct response this way.......

Actually, I posted in the "NEWBIE TiVo/DirecTiVo Hacking" section. Apologies if it was sent elsewhere.
B

TroyCarpenter
08-18-2003, 12:05 PM
Boboli is right...at least in my browser this is listed as the newbie forum for both TiVo and DirectTiVo.

It does bring up a point as to why there are so many different hack forums here:

Tivo Hacks
DirectTivo Hacking
Tivo/DirectTivo expert hacking
TiVo/DirectTivo newbie hacking
Series 2 hacking

mrblack51
08-18-2003, 01:11 PM
Originally posted by TroyCarpenter
Boboli is right...at least in my browser this is listed as the newbie forum for both TiVo and DirectTiVo.

It does bring up a point as to why there are so many different hack forums here:

Tivo Hacks
DirectTivo Hacking
Tivo/DirectTivo expert hacking
TiVo/DirectTivo newbie hacking
Series 2 hacking

newbie section is for basic questions...the ones that would normally be utter flame bait.

expert section is for anything more technical than typical stuff (or at least thats the goal)

directivo hacking is specifically for the directivo. this is because there are a number of scripts (such as noppv or fixsub) which do different things on the dtivo than they would on a standalone. there are also certain tools, such as 25xtreme, which are only for directivos. in general, this forum has been for series 1 directivo hacking

tivo hacks is more for standalone units. there are certain hacks which are more applicable, such as getting a dvd player to be recorded by the tivo, or guide data generation which would go here.

series 2 hacking is for the newest units that are out currently. they have specific and unique issues, and have hacks which are currently only applicable to them, such as two kernel monte. since they have a different processor, binaries for the series 2 are different than binaries for the series 1 units.

basically, the different sections try to prevent confusion. a typical problem which people might have would be "why doesnt fixsub get me guide data on my stand alone unit, but it works fine on my directivo". of course, the answer is that they work somewhat differently, and the differing sections help differentiate.

mrblack51
08-18-2003, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by boboli
I am left with a SA Phillips Model 112 that has been upgraded to 3.0 via the NET..
Once it was done, I had to restore the Turbonet setup to access the SA.
I have my TELNET and FTP capability, but it seems I cannot get the unit to update over the NET. Every try results in "LINE NOT AVAILABLE" error.
My only clue is that I can ping out into the NET, but only by IP. When I ping a domain name, I get "ping: cannot resolve domain.com: Unknown server error" even though I have updated the /etc/resolve.conf with proper nameservers.
B

as of 3.0, the tivo is able to dial in over ethernet. you should use the ,#401 as your dialing prefix to tell the tivo that you have an ethernet card, and the call should work if it can get to the outside world (which most likely is the case). in general, the tivo doesn't get set up with dns resolution, so that ping response is normal.

you posted in the right section, don't worry.

boboli
08-18-2003, 01:37 PM
I appreciate all the comments. After picking up the pieces here of a major meltdown, I have found the solution.
Thank you once again to all.
B



Originally posted by mrblack51
newbie section is for basic questions...the ones that would normally be utter flame bait.

expert section is for anything more technical than typical stuff (or at least thats the goal)

directivo hacking is specifically for the directivo. this is because there are a number of scripts (such as noppv or fixsub) which do different things on the dtivo than they would on a standalone. there are also certain tools, such as 25xtreme, which are only for directivos. in general, this forum has been for series 1 directivo hacking

tivo hacks is more for standalone units. there are certain hacks which are more applicable, such as getting a dvd player to be recorded by the tivo, or guide data generation which would go here.

series 2 hacking is for the newest units that are out currently. they have specific and unique issues, and have hacks which are currently only applicable to them, such as two kernel monte. since they have a different processor, binaries for the series 2 are different than binaries for the series 1 units.

basically, the different sections try to prevent confusion. a typical problem which people might have would be "why doesnt fixsub get me guide data on my stand alone unit, but it works fine on my directivo". of course, the answer is that they work somewhat differently, and the differing sections help differentiate.

GREEK
08-18-2003, 03:58 PM
I never realized that the Newbie section is for both SA and Dtivo. There should be aseperate newbie area for both. Lots of guys know nothing about the other, and there is much confusion from new posters thinking the dtivo hacks are for all. Oh well...........

mrblack51
08-18-2003, 11:20 PM
Originally posted by GREEK
I never realized that the Newbie section is for both SA and Dtivo. There should be aseperate newbie area for both. Lots of guys know nothing about the other, and there is much confusion from new posters thinking the dtivo hacks are for all. Oh well...........

the only problem with that, is that if we do so, then we also should probably have a seperate series 1 and series 2 set of newbie forums...then we have 4 newbie forums. i think that the current system works decently, though it can cause some confusion at times. in general, it helps everyone if when someone posts, they provide their model so that we can figure out what system they are using.