PDA

View Full Version : Fixup.

khmann
08-03-2001, 11:13 AM
Okay guys, here it is: fixup02c.

This is my script to fix the manual recording bug that seems to be present under 2.0. It is designed to set all variables in /Setup and /Setup/ServiceInfo to TiVo-happy values. It is based upon the SetStatusStringDB2 function in /tvlib/tcl/tv/TClient-lib.itcl under 1.3, and the 'nonagz' script developed elsewhere on this forum.

This is not designed to let you receive TiVo service without paying for it, though it should enable recording without requiring any calls to TiVo. Hopefully this will save TiVo money by not having unsubscribbed users tie up their modem resources. I really did not want to release this, but following another thread on this board somebody else would have posted something similar in the next week or so.

TiVo service is a lot more than just tapeless digital recording. On screen program guide, suggestions, and special features come together to create a truly unique television experience. Please support TiVo by purchasing service, if for no other reason than to receive software upgrades and support.

If you do not yet own a TiVo, and are thinking about purchasing one but have no intention of purchasing service, please also look at the ReplayTV unit. It is a lot simpler to get going, has no monthly fee, and is even easier to upgrade than TiVo. If you're a Linux junkie though, you'll love TiVo.

Having said all that, I now release what I feel to be the definitive ServiceState hack for 2.0. Do with it as you will, just leave my lame comment block in it. Please report your findings and success/failures with it here.

Thankyou. Now can we move on to something else?

Vadim
08-03-2001, 12:12 PM
Intresting.. Thankx

Lure
08-03-2001, 06:01 PM
I'd love to have a subsciption...but in my country there is no tivo service. Still I want the benefits of hd recording.

sure, I wrote my own vb6 prog to get instant replay and slomo but it's not 1/2 as good of what the tivo can do.

2 years ago I have send tivo mail asking them when a tivo would be available in europe..they gave an unclear answer. same with replaytv.

I've waited long enough...
I took the risc, bought one, hacked it ( thx to all people that provided info) I'm using it..at only half it's potential...still like it.

so, I lost the right of help from tivo in case of damage or failure.... and then at a sudden this message appears... telling me to be gratefull...supportive....

This really upsets me, this marvous machine is NOT available througout the whole world. The techniques are not shared to give everybody the same users advantage.

I feel that this is , again, a multinational technique to maintain high prizes and to protect markets.

In short I'm disapointed that someone now, after speading a hack, tells us to be gatefull to the same company that he just betrayed.

UNLESS...UNLESS...khmann is working with tivo.. In that case I might consider this a deed of good will. I suggest, in that case, that jou place this script on the tivo website and give a very well documented page connected to it. I'm sure the tivo sales would have a boost outside the US AND UK

Ow ..did you ever compaire prices between UK and US tivo's? protected markets....

(btw my tivo is build by phillips which is a company from my country...that makes me extra mad)

:mad:

Vadim
08-03-2001, 06:32 PM
Lure, You got to understand that some things are not possible in every county. It's hard for TiVo inc to obtain guide data or support other countries, its like they only have 300 people working for them. Yet some people don't want to pay for service because all they want to do is record onto the hard drive and NAG screens don't allow it and that's where this hack comes in. I dought that TiVo will ever provide service in more countries, it's very hard to do and requires a lot of money to do it.

Vadim
08-03-2001, 06:34 PM
Almost forgot, even if he works for TiVo inc they would never post this on their website for many reasons.
A. They don't want people to use it.
B. It's dangerous and they don't want to promote it.
C. That would be loosing money.

khmann
08-03-2001, 07:28 PM
Lure,

I definately hear your frustration regarding 'nationalization' of products. The most outrageous example (in my opinion) being DVDs. How US hollywood companies get away with delaying the release of a movie by six months and doubling the price when it is released outside the US is beyond me.

TiVo, like many companies, subsidizes the hardware cost of the box based upon anticipated service revenue. I'm not sure that was a wise decision on their part, but that's the way it is. There are many examples of the same, DirecTV in the US and the Canadians that watch their signal. Another being the German based DF1(?) satellite TV provider that ships Nokia MediaBoxes as IRDs. I (and many others I'm sure) would very much like to have one, but the fact is that they are simply not available here, in part because I obviously won't be buying a subscription to a German TV service halfway across the planet.

I encourage TiVo to recognize their potential not only as a TV Service provider, but also as a unique hardware and software platform. The amazing number of folks hacking these things clearly shows that there is a (worldwide) market for a Linux based settop whatever box. If TiVo were to produce a special developer (hacker) version, with full source code, development libraries, integrated network, etc, I think people would buy them in droves. If they bundled that with an online support service with software updates, support, demos, betas, etc., they'd be selling them as fast as they built them! Hell, that's a service I'd pay for!

-khmann

(btw I want the Thompson MPEG2-DVB satellite receiver with built in hard-disk recorder which is built by a company from my country but not available here)

Lure
08-04-2001, 03:01 AM
Vadim: It's hard for TiVo inc to obtain guide data or support other countries
I know...I will give them time to realize a service here, just said that I would buy a subsciption when available.

buy it is NOT available and I need the instant replay and slomo fuctions. I'm a professional coach and this tivo benneficts my team.

It would (in my opinion) be a smal adjustment for TiVo to come up with a VCR version of their machine. That would sell as hotcakes (second post of khmann) In other country's than the UK and US these machines could easily be sold for a price that would cover the building cost and provide a profit.

Implementing their services at a later point could be realized too.

Who knows: messages like this one could reach TiVo employees and hopefully could help changing the companies plans and tactics...

At least at this moment i'm less mad than when I wrote my first comment. Didn't use the script (yet) but my TiVo is humming and I have what i want.

(Vadim, my server is up and when you awake tomorrow 'Tivo inside' is up...start inviting authors-))

:D :D :D :D :D :D

hwac
08-07-2001, 12:15 AM
Please excuse this post but Im Linux STUPID !!!!!!!!!!!!
Where and how do you apply this script. I have a unit that is ver 2.01 and live in Canada, not so good ???? I would like to use my tivo in someway shape or form
:confused:

khmann
08-08-2001, 09:49 AM
Step 1. Read the official FAQ at http://tivo.samba.org/ and get bash working on the TiVo, either via serial cable (and HyperTerminal on Windows or Minicom on Linux) or ppp and telnet.

Step 2. get the file to the TiVo. from the bash# prompt:

cat > /var/tmp/fixup02c.tcl
now copy and paste the script
<enter>. hit <ctrl>+<d>. bash# prompt returns.

chmod +x /var/tmp/fixup02c.tcl - to make it executable.
/var/tmp/fixup02c.tcl - to actually run it.

restart - reboot the TiVo.
---------------------------------
notes: If you desire to bypass guided setup:
under 1.3, uncomment the line "...Complete 1" in the script. # means comment...
under 2.0.x, uncomment and change the "Complete" line to "Complete 7"

make this change prior to running the script.

note that this script will not give you any guide data (that's what TiVo service is for), or set up a channel for you to watch/record. Look for Comp-in.tcl or somesuch, over on AVS forum to do that. Someday I may post a generic 'Setup your TiVo for normal Cable/Antenna channels', but that day is not today :) Check http://pvrhack.sonnik.com/tivo/ for software to help furthur your TiVo hacking.

goodluck!

mrblack51
08-09-2001, 02:04 PM
one thing that hasent been mentioned as far as i know. using either this script, or the original nonagz, the tivo still tries to dial out every night. im setting it to dial out in a week, but somewhere there is another db entry which is used to actually kick the tcphonehome.

khmann
08-09-2001, 04:09 PM
so TiVo still tries to dial, eh? I'm still under 1.3 so I haven't really been able to test it, but my 1.3 'System Info' screen always says last call successful- ie I don't think it trys to call. I have heard that this script sucessfully does fix the >30days nag though.

It may be that 2.0 gets upset when it runs out of guide data. In this case, loading a custom guide slice might fix it. I do not know how to do this, perhaps someone else can contribute or test?

mrblack51
08-09-2001, 04:21 PM
im on a dtivo, so the guide data keeps coming. it does in fact fix the >30 days issue on 2.0

chipster
08-09-2001, 08:07 PM
Had noticed the same as well... nightly dial attempts. I've put the script in a once-hourly loop, but dial attempt is made anyway...

hwac
08-10-2001, 08:25 AM
Thanx for the help it worked (I don't know how you peeps find Linux easier than windows, man allot of keystrokes to set a file or even to access a hard drive ,maybe Im just too green to Linux???)
On a passing note is there a way to set the script active when booting (TiVo), If you let the unit dial in even to set time it wipes out the script, no big deal just rerun the script and your good but if there were a way to do this every time it boots that would be great?????

Thanx again

guardianx
04-22-2003, 10:27 AM
does this method work with the stand alone series two ver 3.2??

Lure
04-22-2003, 03:51 PM
to be simple: NO. read the tivo2 hacking threads to get into that.

BSAKing
04-22-2003, 09:11 PM
hi - tivo newbie here with a sony svr-2000. If I understand correctly there is a fixup for ver 3, another for 1.3, and I think ones for 2 and 2.5? I thought I saw one somewhere for 2.5, but be darned if I can relocate it.

Am I correct,, and if so, does anyone recollect where it is?

tia.

lmurray
04-23-2003, 06:52 PM
it's here if you need it:

http://themurrays.homeip.net/downloads/tivo/for_tivo/

enjoy
-lloyd-

BSAKing
04-23-2003, 07:53 PM
Thanks- some good stuff there. The FSFix looks interesting and useful - too bad they don't have it there.

Duh - pardon the dumb comment. It turns out that fsfix is a system file - but I am sure everyone (except me!) knew that......:D