PDA

View Full Version : Can't Get Bash After Power Failure

08-18-2003, 07:22 PM
Directv 2.5.2 (SZ upgrade) uses DHCP to assign the Tivo IP address. My linksys gave Tivo a new IP address after we got power back.

Only took me a few minutes to figure out what happened but I figured this may help someone else.

mrblack51
08-18-2003, 11:25 PM
Originally posted by newbie
Directv 2.5.2 (SZ upgrade) uses DHCP to assign the Tivo IP address. My linksys gave Tivo a new IP address after we got power back.

Only took me a few minutes to figure out what happened but I figured this may help someone else.

thats why i have always been against using dhcp...while it might be nice in the short run, if you want to connect to your tivo, then it can be a real pain. some routers let you set up 'static' dhcp entries, where you give a certain mac address a certain ip. you might try that.

in the long run, if you want to telnet to your tivo and such, you should use a static ip. if your router can do it, great (there are a few benefits to this setup), but hard coding it is not a bad option and isnt that hard.

08-19-2003, 09:21 AM
Mrblack--I agree with you 100%, I used SZ to upgrade to 2.5.2 (so I wouldn't lose locals). I previously used static but the script sets up DHCP and I didn't want to bother taking the time to do the editing.

I made the post after the recent power failure. I have my stuff plugged into UPS and don't normally reset the router.