PDA

View Full Version : Multiswitch Question

markpregen
08-18-2003, 09:43 PM
Hi,

I am moving to a place where the owners are offering me free DirecTV. The only problem is I want to use my UltimateTV receiver (their receiver is not UltimateTV). I have been told I can use a multiswitch to do this and not have to install a second satellite. I want to have two inputs into the back of my receiver so I can record two channels at once. Is this a simple thing to do, or is it better to get professionally installed? Would it be as easy as plugging the satellite cable that already runs into my room into the back of the multiswitch, then running two cables out of the multiswitch into my receiver?

Thanks
Mark

apn64
08-19-2003, 09:39 AM
Installing a multiswitch is easy, but you need to have certain things in order;

1. A dual-LNB is a must.

2. You need to have access to both coax cables from the dish. If you have a grounding block, then simply replace it with the M/S. If the coax wires are all over the place, then you may have to mount the M/S outside next to the dish.

3. Most M/S need external power, so you need to mount it close to an AC outlet for the adaptor. However, I think there are some line powered models that cost $$$

If you've got all the above, then simply install the M/S. The most common models are 2x4 (2 inputs, 4 outputs) and 2x8, and most have an input for external antenna or cable.

The M/S is nothing more than a fancy splitter. The coax lines from the dish feed into the M/S INputs, then route the OUTputs to your IRDs.

I have a 2x4 and run two lines to the UTV and the other two to 2nd and 3rd receivers.

drarnold
08-19-2003, 10:40 AM
Is there a way to get more than 4 receivers to work with a LNB with 2 feeds coming off? I have a 2X4 multiswitch and four feeds coming out going to 4 receivers, but I want to run 2 more recievers without having to change the dish. Can I just hook another 2X4 multiswitch into two of the feeds coming out of the multiswitch?

Thanks!!!

Jimmy

mrblack51
08-19-2003, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by drarnold
Is there a way to get more than 4 receivers to work with a LNB with 2 feeds coming off? I have a 2X4 multiswitch and four feeds coming out going to 4 receivers, but I want to run 2 more recievers without having to change the dish. Can I just hook another 2X4 multiswitch into two of the feeds coming out of the multiswitch?

Thanks!!!

Jimmy

yes, you can take two feeds off of your 2x4 and pipe it to another 2x4. course, it might be smarter to get a larger multiswitch now.

fixn278
08-19-2003, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by mrblack51
yes, you can take two feeds off of your 2x4 and pipe it to another 2x4. course, it might be smarter to get a larger multiswitch now.

That will work fine. Just want to add one thing though.

It will not work properly if you use a multi-sat dish. This will only word with a regular round dish.

Since you are using a 2x4 multiswitch then I assume you already have what you need.

Mrblack51 is right though. A new multiswitch is a better idea anyway. Each switch you add will decrease signal strength somewhat.

drarnold
08-19-2003, 05:41 PM
Well I'll be god darned!

I had been told by my local satellite guru I would need an oval dish with 2 dual LNB's in order to use and 8 way multiswitch. I see now that isn't the case. Imagine that....being misinformed by an expert (ha). I ordered one from this web site and I'm looking forward to putting it to good use. I guess Radioshack doesn't do very thorough training of it's employees. LOL

Jimmy

mrblack51
08-19-2003, 06:12 PM
Originally posted by drarnold
Well I'll be god darned!

I had been told by my local satellite guru I would need an oval dish with 2 dual LNB's in order to use and 8 way multiswitch. I see now that isn't the case. Imagine that....being misinformed by an expert (ha). I ordered one from this web site and I'm looking forward to putting it to good use. I guess Radioshack doesn't do very thorough training of it's employees. LOL

Jimmy

he was trying to get you to use a 4x8 multiswitch. you can use one of those with just a round dish, leaving the 119deg satellite inputs vacant.

radio shack: you've got questions, so do we
radio shack: you've got questions, we've got blank stares