PDA

View Full Version : HD Size Question - Too Small?

we87
08-19-2003, 12:37 AM
Well I am reading up on all of this and slowly learning and going to actually start breaking stuff :D But since I dont want to do ANYTHING to my original HD on my DTIVO (GXCEBOT Hughes) I wanted to swap a drive. But untill I go to the store tomorrow to get one, Im stuck with the one I have laying around the house... Now my question is this:

I have a 10gb 5200rpm hard drive and I wanted to know of that was too small to play with if I swapped it out tonight and starting messing around with the DTIVO. I dont want to record anything on it right now, Ill get to that step when I buy a bigger HD. But for right now I just wanted to get it working with my DSS and settings and such... Is this drive too small?

All information is greatly apreciated.

Thanks In Advance!

BubbleLamp
08-19-2003, 12:45 AM
Too small. Most of the images floating around are for 40GB drives, a few will work on 30GB drives. (In fact, some 40GB drives are too small for the 40GB image!)

Bottom line, you're gonna need a new drive, so buy the biggest you can afford, but no bigger than 120GB. (There is a limit of 137GB for any one drive. Since nobody makes a 140GB drive, you're left with a 120, or a 160 and some wasted space.)

we87
08-19-2003, 01:43 AM
Thanks for the reply Bubble Lamp.

Well the reason I thought it would be okay is because of this post:

http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=26827&highlight=15gb

Where from what I understand, that guy backed up his factory 15gb drive... So I thought if it could fit on a 15gb, why not a 10gb... But I guess I was wrong.

Thanks for the info though, I apreciate it...

we87
08-19-2003, 02:01 AM
Originally posted by we87
Thanks for the reply Bubble Lamp.

Well the reason I thought it would be okay is because of this post:

http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=26827&highlight=15gb

Where from what I understand, that guy backed up his factory 15gb drive... So I thought if it could fit on a 15gb, why not a 10gb... But I guess I was wrong.

Thanks for the info though, I apreciate it...

Sorry... My mistake. After reading other threads that guy has a 30gb PLUS a 15gb... Two hard drives in one tivo box.... Very very sorry.

BTW I didnt even know you could do that... I would think it would have to be on a RAID, but I guess not... eithery way I just wanted to correct myself.

GREEK
08-19-2003, 02:41 AM
the hughes mainly come with only one HD cable and power connector. the sony and philips come with two connections for adding a drive. The older philips came out when HD were expensive and not big so the 30 + 15 was a cheaper solution as there were no 40 gigs around, and when there were they were 250+. I dont know if you can remember that far, but a few years ago with 3.1 windows more than 2 gigs in DOS was a no-no...........geez that sucked, with 250 gigs around today and kernel/swap file tricks you can go with ANY size HD if you know what your doing....