PDA

View Full Version : Pre Pre Newbie?

szszo
08-19-2003, 11:28 AM
you can yell at me if you like, but i've been reading alot and i am still confused by some basic basics.

i have a working hu test situation on an older receiver and would like to add tivo. i am subbed with dave for basic. i don't mind paying the $5/month.

if i add a directivo from dave, the price is right but i understand that i will have to connect the phone line for tivo to work which will jepardize me with dave.

do i get a stand alone tivo?
is there somwhere that explains this really basic stuff? like what do i buy and where do i go from here?

i'd like to come back and get into tivo hacking at some time in the future. but i don't want to make any mistakes now.

thanks if you reply, and i understand if you yell.

fixn278
08-19-2003, 12:21 PM
If you purchase a standalone unit then you will definitely need the phone line, hacked or not, otherwise you won't get guide data.

If you pay your DTV sub then no one will have a problem helping you. I am not sure I understand though. If you sub and are willing to pay the $5 why would dialing up cause you any grief with Dave?

Nevertheless...
Yes, you can prevent the daily call and continue your service on a DTivo as long as your DTV account in authorized to have that service. No phone call will be required. This is generally used to avoid having hacks such as Turbonet and Tivoweb uninstalled when new software is sent. Some use it to avoid subscribing, but that's not the intent of the hack.

If you want help hacking your subbed DTivo, then welcome aboard. I would suggest going through the How-To sticky in the Directv Tivo forum for a wealth of information.

szszo
08-19-2003, 02:45 PM
thanks so much for your answer.

i have a paid sub with dave that is minimum, but i use it with a hacked HU card to get all of the channels. i don't want to jepardize that, but i'd like to use tivo.

if i get a tivo thru dave, can i use my hacked hu card?
or would i be better off buying a tivo or directivo privately?

if i have to plug a phone line in (its obviously disconnected now), won't that signal to dave?

if i use a hacked HU card, does that mean that i must do a hacked tivo?

thanks for any other help you can give me. like i said earlier, i don't want to screw up.

fixn278
08-19-2003, 02:55 PM
If you are using a hacked card, then plugging in your Tivo to the phone line will definitely cause you grief.

The latest Tivo software only allows the use of a subscribed P4 card. There are hacks around them, but if you ask any questions here about them you will get shut down rather quickly. There is probably enough info here if you wanted to figure it out on your own, but it's not a simple process.

Also, the Tivo you would get from DTV is a series 2. They are substantially more complicated to hack (See the series 2 forum.) I would suggest starting with a series 1 (some retailers still have them), call DTV to send you a card (they will ask for $20 but if you push hard enough they will do it for free) and add the pvr service to your account.

If you have a legit sub and are paying for sevice, there is very little you can do to your Tivo that will cause you grief if it dials out (other than load new software.)

Once you get the hang of it, what you do with your cards is your business, but please don't talk about card hacking or anything related to stealing service on this board.

I have a few hacked Tivos and pay for every one of them. It's worth every penny.

Good luck

szszo
08-19-2003, 04:43 PM
what about a privately bought stand-alone tivo?

that way i keep using my old receiver with hacked card, and subscribe to tivo (phone line) with the stand-alone tivo.

will that work?

szszo
08-19-2003, 04:45 PM
if so, which models should i look for?

fixn278
08-19-2003, 05:03 PM
Dude, it would be much easier if you stopped mentioning the hacked card. The intent of this board is not to help you steal service.

Like I said, what you do with the card is your business, but anytime you dial up you give them (Tivo for SA units and DTV for DirecTivos) your viewing habits. DTV will definitely use it against you. Tivo says no, but is it really worth the risk?

I fear this conversation is moving towards the line between Tivo hacking and DTV hacking, so I will have to respectfully remove myself.

If you want to talk about anything else Tivo related, I will be more than happy to help.

Good luck

szszo
08-19-2003, 05:09 PM
my sincere apologies, and thank you.

fixn278
08-19-2003, 07:40 PM
No need to apologize. Just trying to respect the wishes of the board owner and mods.

Like I said, if you have any other Tivo-related q's feel free to ask.

RVD72
08-20-2003, 12:56 PM
dude, just play it safe and get a series 1 directivo and load extreme 2.5.2 and use your HU card. no phone line needed.

SA tivo will require a phone line so you will either need to risk it (tivo claims that they don't send indivudual viewing habits to anyone...viewing habits are always grouped together) or clear our your logs so that it doesn't send out your viewing info.

with that said...just get a series 1 directivo.

RVD.