PDA

View Full Version : I can get channels off the 101 sat with a round dish, right?

groundhog
08-19-2003, 05:08 PM
The 101 sat is the one that has locals for Vegas, right? I recently moved and direct TV is telling me that I need an Oval dish for locals. This is only so that I can get feeds from both sats, right? So If I only want locals, I should be able to pick them up simply by pointing a single round dish at the correct sat, and I should be able to pick them up, but won't be able to pick up the normal(nationwide) channels. Is this correct?

mrblack51
08-19-2003, 06:05 PM
Originally posted by groundhog
The 101 sat is the one that has locals for Vegas, right? I recently moved and direct TV is telling me that I need an Oval dish for locals. This is only so that I can get feeds from both sats, right? So If I only want locals, I should be able to pick them up simply by pointing a single round dish at the correct sat, and I should be able to pick them up, but won't be able to pick up the normal(nationwide) channels. Is this correct?

well, yeah, i think you can do that. however, you may have problems with the guide data on your tivo

groundhog
08-19-2003, 06:39 PM
Oh crap, I didn't even think about that. Anyway, I'm still curious. Has anyone done this, even with a normal receiver?

mrblack51
08-19-2003, 06:49 PM
when i first got satellite a long time ago, i accidently honed in on the 119 sat instead of the 101. with a basic reciever (RCA 102 i believe), i was able to see the 119 channels, and all the other channels from the 101 came up as "To be determined" or whatnot.

if you are asking whether you can use two round dishes to get 101 and 119, the answer is yes. if you just want the 119 sat, that should work too. you should be able to search to see if las vegas is on 119

groundhog
08-20-2003, 09:28 AM
Your right, I was confused about the two sats. The vegas locals come from the 119 bird.

captain_video
08-20-2003, 10:31 AM
I believe all of the locals are going to be changed around after Jan 1st 2004. It's my understanding that all east coast locals will only be available from the 119 satellite whereas the west locals will all come from the 101 birds. Everyone east of the Mississippi will have to upgrade to an oval dish. The actual dividing line may differ but I seem to remember that this was the line of separation for locals.

groundhog
08-20-2003, 03:31 PM
Captin, do you have a source that I could look into furter to confirm the bird separation thing that you are talking about. It would make a world of difference if I could get everything off the with a round dist eventually.

captain_video
08-20-2003, 09:20 PM
I can't give you a firm source on that but if it is going to happen you can probably get it at the DTV website. I think I first read about it at the Tivo Community Forum so you might want to check there.

groundhog
08-21-2003, 02:46 PM
Thanks