PDA

View Full Version : Locals?

RadOD
08-19-2003, 11:01 PM
Can a a HDVR2/DSR7000 be hacked to get locals in an area that does not normally receive locals? Can it be done by hacking the tivo or does it require other means, such as hacked cards not to be discussed here.

fixn278
08-19-2003, 11:34 PM
There's no reason why it couldn't but with spot beams, you wouldn't get much more than your original channels anyway.

awing_pilot
08-20-2003, 08:12 PM
everyone can get LA and NY locals plus what ever is in there spot beam. certain spot beams are larger then others so sometimes you can get pretty far away. I used to have a pic of where all the spots are but i can't find it, so heres a pretty usefull link

http://www.tivofan.com/directv/channels.html

awing

RiverRat
08-21-2003, 01:09 PM
The ONLY network channels I get are the NY and LA Fox channels. For some reason, DirecTV (well, actually Pegasus in my area) thinks I should be able to receive CBS, ABC, and NBC well enough over an antenna, even though their so snowy you can't tell what's going on. And of course, I can't record them with my dtivo. I'd love to figure ou t something before all my favorite shows come back on this fall.

RadOD
08-21-2003, 09:21 PM
Thanks, especially for the link.

What program do I want to use?

midupdate
mvchannels
900s
AddLocs

Most threads talk about using Xtreme but my understanding is that I can't use that with HDVR2/DSR7000.

And just to be clear, I'm in an area where I can't receive ANY locals. Again, is this going to require more than just a script?

GREEK
08-21-2003, 09:58 PM
your gonna need a triple LNB dish most likely and yes a locals script or channel reassignment script such as the above. It doesnt matter if they have locals for your area, it matters which satellites carry the transponders you need for the locals spotbeams. Search around the net and you'll find a spot beam map for your area and which birds have which.....

RadOD
08-21-2003, 11:16 PM
I have a 3LNB dish.

I've found a spot beam map:
http://www.scottandmichelle.net/scott/dtv.html

I've got some transponder circles for my area. Now what? I don't really know what to do with the transponder numbers.

If I use midupdate and try the nearest large city (I should be in the circle according to the map), mvchannels only finds 998 and 999. awing_pilot said that everyone can get NY and LA so I tried LA, but again only 998 and 999.

BubbleLamp
08-22-2003, 12:11 AM
National locals (NY/LA) appear in the 380's.

GREEK
08-22-2003, 12:58 AM
depending on your setup and card # you can get locals in 2-99 and 800's. You can have multiple markets and use xplusz to remap the channel locations to have room for most of them. Download the readme for 2.5.2 and look in the xplusz eplanations to see how to run mvchannels with multiple market codes, and addlocals. Midupdate will pull them in faster than waiting for the guide data to populate. I know that in the NYC markey I have spontaneous blackouts of channels, even though my card is subscribed for them. Most of the time its trial and error, there is no set way of grabbing more than what your supposed to have. Even with my paid locals I miss channels here and there. The biggest problem is having them in the channel lineup and guide info but when you tune in you get channel not available......

Will
08-22-2003, 03:05 AM
Originally posted by GREEK
You can have multiple markets and use xplusz to remap the channel locations to have room for most of them.

This is wonderful news. I have not been able to get multiple markets since DTV made changes this March, and if anyone else has, they have not shared it with us here. So we're anxious to hear your method. I don't think we need a step-by-step, just the basic thrust of how you get around the problem of the card now needing to match the marketid of the reciever.

awing_pilot
08-22-2003, 09:37 AM
i only got a few sets of locals, ny and la in the 380's, miami in the 0-99's and orlando on the 900's using the xplusz commands. not sure if thats what your looking for but that way if the dolphin games are blacked out locally i can usually snatch them in orlando.

awing

dsr6000 2.5.2

Will
08-22-2003, 01:32 PM
Originally posted by awing_pilot
i only got a few sets of locals, ny and la in the 380's, miami in the 0-99's and orlando on the 900's using the xplusz commands.

The New York and LA nationals are not a problem, and getting your choice of one local market from the spotbeams or the 101 is not a problem. But I haven't been able to get a second set, simultaneously, and _maintain_ it for any length of time, since March 2003. Just incompetence, I guess.

RadOD
08-22-2003, 09:21 PM
Again, I'm asking about getting locals in an area that does not normally receive locals. I keeps seeing people stating that you can't. The more I read, the more I see that you can CHANGE which locals you get, but you can't get locals if you currently get NONE.

c.f. http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=17161

So can someone confirm of deny:

I have NO LOCALS.
I cannot get legit locals.
Is there a hack to get locals? Or, as I suspect, unless I'm subscribed to some locals somewhere, there is NO WAY TO GET LOCALS.
Finally, what if I just changed my address with dtv?

captain_video
08-22-2003, 11:33 PM
If you're not in an area that DTV provides local service for, then there's no legitimate way of getting locals. If you've got a friend or relative in an area inside the same spot beam coverage that you can receive that's also serviced with locals by DTV, then perhaps they'll let you use their address for billing purposes so you can get locals. You'd have to hack your DTivo to use the nophone option or DTV will know you're not connected to the phone line tied to the account if you allow the DTivo to dial out.

RadOD
08-30-2003, 09:53 PM
Ok, suppose I have recently moved into an area with locals ;) and I want to change which locals I receive.

According to the map http://www.scottandmichelle.net/scott/dtv.html there are 3 circles that I should fall within.

midupdate.tcl seems to be the program I want to use to change where the tivo thinks I am, but this alone doesn't seem to do the trick. Most of the threads out there seem to deal with xPlus. What do I want to use for HDVR2?

i'm just trying to figure out how this works. I don't care which locals I get. awing_pilot mentioned that everyone can get LA and NY locals.

midupdate alone doesn't seem to be what I need. What other program should I be looking at. I'm willing to do the reading on this, just someone give me a point in the right direction.

GREEK
08-30-2003, 11:04 PM
From what I understand DTV wont let you switch your locals. You will most likely have to play some "games" with them or get a cool Cus. serv. rep. As far as the previous posts I asnswered thinking you had a series 1. I reread to see you have a series 2 and my posts dont refer to that series. You may have better luck with the series 2 section, or someone else who actively plays with the ser2 can help. Mine sits there hacked and long forgotten.

BubbleLamp
08-31-2003, 12:08 AM
Your card has to be set to the correct locals, a topic not for discussion on this site.

RadOD
08-31-2003, 01:06 AM
Your card has to be set to the correct locals, a topic not for discussion on this site.

Well that kinda makes sense, but then what are all the discussions about changing locals? Are they all about cards not for discussion on this site?

BubbleLamp
08-31-2003, 01:32 AM
Originally posted by RadOD
Well that kinda makes sense, but then what are all the discussions about changing locals? Are they all about cards not for discussion on this site?

Most of the threads discussing locals go back a ways, when it was much easier to get one or more sets of locals. DTV changed all that, and the end result is you can get ONE set of locals if all the conditions are right, one being the card itself.

RadOD
08-31-2003, 12:59 PM
One (hopefully) final question. Someone said you could get LA/NY locals anywhere. If you were a NY subscriber, could you take your receiver anywhere in the country and still get locals?

BubbleLamp
08-31-2003, 01:47 PM
One (hopefully) final question. Someone said you could get LA/NY locals anywhere. If you were a NY subscriber, could you take your receiver anywhere in the country and still get locals?

No. LA/NY locals are just that. They normally appear in the 380's. They aren't going to magically become Detroit locals if you move there.

RadOD
08-31-2003, 06:08 PM
Ok. I got the impression from above:

everyone can get LA and NY locals plus what ever is in there spot beam.

that LA and NY weren't really in a spot beam, but rather that they could be received from anywhere in the country.

BubbleLamp
08-31-2003, 06:47 PM
Ok. I got the impression from above:

that LA and NY weren't really in a spot beam, but rather that they could be received from anywhere in the country.

You are correct. I should have said, NY/LA are the ONLY "locals" that you can get anywhere. The locals under your specific spot beam require an appropriately configured card.