PDA

View Full Version : Serial Questions

Offnon
08-22-2003, 02:49 PM
Hello all,

I just purchased a shiny new TiVo. I currently have it connected to my router via a usb/ethernet adapter. What I want to do is install FTP/Telnet on it. But, now heres the rub, without opening the box. I think that I can do it with a serial connection to the Tivo (thru the serial cable tivo gave me + a null modem cable), installing the FTP and telnet clients and setting them to run on startup, reconnecting the usb link to the network, and bam! done.
All I'm looking to do is be able to move shows to/from my computer. From reading here and elsewhere I'm pretty sure this plan will work but I just want verification before I spend the money on the cable and try to find a laptop.

Thanks for your help

BTW I feel the need to defend my wussiness of not wanted to open my box. We just spent two years using a ati all-in-wonder and although it is great at what it does (putting video on the computer) it sucks at what we wanted (being a tivo). The system went down all the time, need constant updates, and was no fun. Right now I just really like basking the glow of a Tivo that does exactly what it should and has a nice warranty. I just want the video off it... :)

tivomaster
08-22-2003, 03:25 PM
Unfortunately it ain't that simple. To get the software on the Tivo you will have to "crack" the case, take the hard drive out, put it in a PC, then use the hacking boot CD's, hack the TiVo's sofware to allow you to do the things you want to do. Take a look at the "How to" articles which are on the stickies on the forum.

captain_video
08-22-2003, 03:31 PM
If you have a "shiny new Tivo" I'm assuming it's a series 2 model. Look in the Series 2 Tivo Hacking forum for all the info you need on hacking it. As for cracking the case, you ain't gonna make any omlettes without breaking them eggs. I doubt if anyone here that bought a Tivo after learning how to hack it hesitated for even a second before voiding their warranties. The main thing that ever craps out on a Tivo while under warranty is the hard drive anyway and the drive manufacturer usually covers that if you contact them directly. Go ahead, take the plunge. You'll be glad you did.