PDA

View Full Version : Determining "HOURS AVAILABLE" on Dtivo?

Toaster
08-22-2003, 07:48 PM
I have a Hughes GXCEBOT, with 40gb Quantum. I just upgraded to 2.5.2xtreme software..

How to you detemine how many "hours" are available for recording??? I have only recorded like 6-7 movies and the ones on the bottom are already flagged (!) for deletion...? They have only been on there for like 2 days or so...???

Just curious.

mrblack51
08-22-2003, 08:31 PM
there is not functionality for this built into the tivo software, because their goal is that the tivo is always full, and the only difference is how full of any given type of recording. if you have suggestions turned on, your tivo will generally be pretty close to full. the tivo will delete suggestions first, then it has an algorithm to delete the other stuff (not sure if old stuff goes first, or if it will ditch old episodes of season passes first, etc).

tivoweb has some functionality for what you are looking for though.

captain_video
08-22-2003, 11:27 PM
Recording capacity on a DTivo is not exact. Each channel uses different levels of compression at different times. The same show broadcast on two different channels may result in files of vastly different sizes, making it virtually impossible to accurately calculate the exact amount of recording time available. You'll notice in the System Information screen that the capacity for a stock DTivo (i.e. with a 40GB single or 30GB + 15GB dual drive model) is indicated as "up to 35 hours" and in most cases will actually be much less (more like 25 hours).

MuscleNerd
08-22-2003, 11:38 PM
Anyone reading this thread with 4.0 software, though, does have a special Disk Usage backdoor screen to give you all sorts of statistics. ZER0-THUMBSUP from the "Pick programs to record" screen, if backdoors are enabled.

Toaster
08-24-2003, 06:47 PM
Mine is a single drive 40gb model Directivo... I guess upto 35 hours is the key. I know I'm low on disk space because when watching live tv now, I was buffer 30+ mins at a time, maybe even more than that. Now I'm lucky to be buffer 10 minutes back. :eek:

I guess I need another HD now. I have a 40gb 5400 RPM seagate, But as I remember it has some "issues" :rolleyes:

captain_video
08-24-2003, 08:56 PM
If you're going to upgrade then there's not much sense in going with a drive as small as 40GB. I've always felt that the stock capacity on a DTivo was pathetically limited. 120GB drives can typically be had for under $100 and, when compared with the cost of a 60GB or 80GB drive, it's much more cost effective. Installing a 120GB drive in conjunction with the stock 40GB drive will give you up to 147 hours of recording time, although in reality it will probably be more like 100-110 hours.

If you like to set up season passes and keep them until you decide to delete them, then the added capacity is a necessity. A Tivo takes into account all recordings currently on the drive as well as any recordings in the To Do list when it calculates the amount of space available for recording new shows. If you try to schedule another show beyond this limit, you'll get an error message indicating that there's a conflict and that you'll need to delete some shows to allow any additional recordings. The extra capacity eliminates these nag messages and gives you peace of mind knowing that you can record anything anytime you want without having to reconfigure season passes and recording options.

gorilla daddy
11-10-2003, 03:46 AM
That disk usage screen sounds good. But how do I enable backdoors on my monte'd 4.0 ?

thanks,

gd

MuscleNerd
11-10-2003, 09:51 AM
You've got to run a little tivosh script once (from the bash shell) that sets the backdoor password hash to a known value.